Cycling the length of New Zealand

Slacko

Cycling the length of New Zealand

Postby Slacko » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Time to get biking again - and in 2 weeks time, 4 of us will be leaving Stirling Point, Bluff, at the bottom of the South Island of New Zealand heading for Cape Reinga at the top of the North Island. Approximate distance - 2100 kms. It will be quite a different ride from my only previous long ride which was across Australia (4,565 kms). Much hillier, and I think the weather could play an important part! I only had 1 day of rain in 6 weeks across Australia - wondering how many I will get for the 3 weeks "doing" New Zealand.

If anyone is interested in following this journey - check out my website - http://www.brendanoonan-onmybike.com - or follow our facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/CycleTheLength ... and?ref=hl

Looking forward to getting going!!
If you don't have a dream, how can dreams come true?

rifraf

Re: Cycling the length of New Zealand

Postby rifraf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:52 am

Slacko wrote:I think the weather could play an important part! I only had 1 day of rain in 6 weeks across Australia - wondering how many I will get for the 3 weeks "doing" New Zealand.
Looking forward to getting going!!
I think you'll get one day of sunshine in 6 weeks :lol:
First Ronk and now you.
How many hypothermia patients do my aussie taxes have to fork out over :lol: :wink:

Seriously though, wrap up warm as NZ generally gets a nice yearly month in Feb. :roll:
Dont forget good wet weather gear and warm sleeping bag. :!:
My sister lives in the north island (much warmer than the south) and still has her fire going daily. :shock:
You'll at least enjoy some great scenery. :mrgreen:
You'll want low gears compared to Aus. :idea:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:41 pm

The weather in the south has buggered my itinerary.

Better to start in the north.

There is a north-south journal worth reading on crazyguyonabike.com.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:05 pm

RonK wrote:The weather in the south has buggered my itinerary.

Better to start in the north.

There is a north-south journal worth reading on crazyguyonabike.com.
The weather in NZ's spring is going to be crap period.
When you look around and see just how green the country is and consider how much of Aus
is red you begin to realise what might be the cause.
In the west coast of the south island they measure the rainfall in the metres which is something many tourists
fail to grasp - tis very very wet at the best of times but spring is going to be the wettest.
In the lower south island it can snow in summer and does.
As for starting in the north, call me spoilt, but theres not really that much to see by comparison.
The roads are much busier and there are much more bogans hooning around.
Less wild camping opportunities and its actually somewhat dangerous.
NZ's beneficiaries are currently under attack by the govt. and they are on a lot more of a tougher ride than
their Aussie counterparts with much more obligations to keep their benefits despite high unemployment.
Amongst their high numbers are many with lots of resentment and the numbers of tourists getting robbed is at
unprecedented levels (in my opinion) with tourist spots getting lots of unwanted attention and roadside campervans/caravans
getting targeted.
Be stealthful is my suggestion or stay at well populated caravan parks.
Much as I love the place, the national govt policies have taken it from the jewel of the pacific to something else.
If you think I'm being too harsh do some google searches on tourist attacked and/or new conditions for beneficiaries.
Or you could just start to wonder why around 60,000 kiwis have fled to Aus this year alone. :shock:

Slacko

Postby Slacko » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Interesting comments Rifraf and RonK - thanks a lot!!!

It is one week today before we start our ride at Bluff.

I can only hope that the weather might improve by then - everything is crossed!

Glad things are a bit better for you Ron - may it last for the remainder of your ride - (and ours)!

Cheers - Brenda

http://www.brendanoonan-onmybike.com
https://www.facebook.com/CycleTheLength ... and?ref=hl

Slacko

Postby Slacko » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:20 pm

All packed and ready to go! Heading to Brisbane Airport first thing in the morning. Stopping in Dunedin the night then off to Bluff by car. Start riding from Bluff on Thursday 1st November!

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 am

Brenda - I've had some good weather at last. Yesterday was a glorious cycling day, and today promises to be equally as good.

I would have picked the west coast over SH1, but I'm sure you will enjoy the ride just the same.

Happy wheels.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Slacko wrote:All packed and ready to go! Heading to Brisbane Airport first thing in the morning. Stopping in Dunedin the night then off to Bluff by car. Start riding from Bluff on Thursday 1st November!

Hi Brenda,
best wishes for your trip - may the wind be at your back!!!!
Hope you have a great time.
Please keep us all updated on your adventure and take as many pics as you can to share with us.
Enjoy and happy spinning
Cheers
Aidan

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Where fore art thou Brenda? :D

Slacko

Postby Slacko » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi rifraf

I'm happily back on the beautiful Redcliffe Peninsula - Queensland - enjoying the rain!! Thoroughly enjoyed biking NZ - although it was pretty tough at times. probably should have allowed a day or 2 extra - but - we made it!! Quite a bit of rain - but the good thing was that it was never actually raining in the morning when we set off - but would develop later in the day. Some freezing cold times - Oamaru, and the Desert Road. Great ride tho - so much tougher than biking across Oz - tough road surfaces in NZ - bikes certainly earned their keep!! Plans in the pipeline for more rides - but not until after I have run a marathon in August!!

Hope you are well - Cheers!!!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself. Did you bring back home the NZ weather? Queensland has been copping it an unfair bit lately. Those customs guys in Queensland are going to have to be trained properly to stop cyclists smuggling back NZ precipitation or thing will never dry out enough up there and the bananas will never come down in price. :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Having just spotted your links in the first post :oops: , I've spent the afternoon perusing your blogg. Very entertaining and enjoyable read. I've ridden some of the stretches along your way so really enjoyed the memory prompts your pics provided. Reminders of the weather didnt incline me to want to return back to NZ although I think my new current home Perths weather is about as useful with as much time for me here spent hiding from the excess sun as when in NZ, the rain.
I look forward to reading all about your next excursion Brenda - thanks for the inspiring read :!: :D :D