2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

yarravalleyplodder

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Endo wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:Hey Dave, that paint is really good because I fly past people going down hill, even on their fancy carbon bikes :D I am guessing it has nothing to do with my 110kg frame :D

I didnt bother feathering the brakes, I just moved out & passed them 8)

I went faster than the cars going down that last hill just before the frankston rest stop :twisted:

It was naughty and looking at my garmin I was doing 63.4km and using the whole left lane, I am a bad man.................... but in my defence it was a lot of fun :twisted:
Nice Vmax - was that on 'Olivers Drop'?
not sure of the hill name, is 2 lanes each way, got a couple of twists and when you get to the bottom the beach is on your left, as I said its a nice little decent. I could have a got a little more speed but an idiot in a ford xr6 pulled out on me so I stopped pedaling to ensure I didnt run up his rear end, if he had his window down he would have heard me calling him a few choice words, I was not happy about him :evil:

As I am slow going up the hills, I need to take advantage going down 8)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Endo

Postby Endo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:
Endo wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:Hey Dave, that paint is really good because I fly past people going down hill, even on their fancy carbon bikes :D I am guessing it has nothing to do with my 110kg frame :D

I didnt bother feathering the brakes, I just moved out & passed them 8)

I went faster than the cars going down that last hill just before the frankston rest stop :twisted:

It was naughty and looking at my garmin I was doing 63.4km and using the whole left lane, I am a bad man.................... but in my defence it was a lot of fun :twisted:
Nice Vmax - was that on 'Olivers Drop'?
not sure of the hill name, is 2 lanes each way, got a couple of twists and when you get to the bottom the beach is on your left, as I said its a nice little decent. I could have a got a little more speed but an idiot in a ford xr6 pulled out on me so I stopped pedaling to increase the speed

As I am slow going up the hills, I need to take advantage going down 8)
Yep, that sounds like Olivers Drop (as listed on Strava). I'm 63kg - and may have gone over 60kph, but I'm not saying how much I may have, because it's naughty and illegal :)

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote: As I am slow going up the hills, I need to take advantage going down 8)
LOL, the same as me!!!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Endo wrote: Yep, that sounds like Olivers Drop (as listed on Strava). I'm 63kg - and may have gone over 60kph, but I'm not saying how much I may have, because it's naughty and illegal :)
yes, but with the allowing for faulty equipment and the variance they give you I am sure I was doing the speed limit 8) going past those two cars in the right hand lane doesnt mean anything, they were being driven by old grannies not doing much more that 40km/h :D
Last edited by yarravalleyplodder on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:24 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:I saw plenty of Felts out there, probably 15 to 20, no F75's though
Would you believe I didn't see any....

Though I did have several people eyeing off my bike when stopped at the lights.

I originally had the same thought about the ATB being a ride around both sides of the bay but for my first time I decided it might be best to take the ferry issues out of the equation.
I still think the MSM is a great route but next year I'll try my luck at a ferry crossing and see how it all goes....and maybe even try the 250.

Dave

One of my team mates had a F75!

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 pm

My theory: The later you arrive, the longer the wait for a ferry.

This year we arrived an hour earlier and got onto a ferry with 40 minutes less waiting time (40 minute wait vs 1h20m in 2011)

So train hard to increase your ferry "speed" as well :)
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:51 pm

chucknitro wrote:My theory: The later you arrive, the longer the wait for a ferry.

This year we arrived an hour earlier and got onto a ferry with 40 minutes less waiting time (40 minute wait vs 1h20m in 2011)

So train hard to increase your ferry "speed" as well :)
You could be right, people who arrived at 11 got the 12 ferry, me who arrived at 11:15 did not and was stuck on the 1pm ferry. The head winds we had that last bit from portarlington really hit me, I was down to 20km/h when I had been average 34km/h without wind

Its the reason why I dont think I will do the 250km next year and really try to smash the run to queenscliff on the 210km, that wait was a downer for me, especially when I see pictures of the crowds at the finish, when I got there most displays had packed up and people had gone home, I kinda feel the ferry wait took that part away from me. So much so, I took my medal and left straight away, nothing to stay for. Crossing the line was good but I didnt get any good vibe about the finish, maybe I had unreasonable expectations
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 pm

I wasn't too happy to see some of the drivers purposely trying to swerve into cyclists as they just so happened to be taking a bit more than 2 lanes at the time. I couldn't believe it, its one time in a year that riders can truly use beach road accordingly and for a good cause too.

I saw 2 accidents, one each way. It was a sad sight to see anyone hurt. There was one team in red I believe who were on the bridge just above the patterson lakes/carrum bicycle path that was pulled over near some ambulance (near the start of station street I believe).
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

WoolleyMammoth

Postby WoolleyMammoth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 am

After 210 last year and 250 this year, will definitely be skipping the ferry next year. Although in part I agree that without the crossing it isn't officially 'around the bay', waiting two and a half hours last year and 2 and three-quarter this year (including being booked onto the 12pm ferry but getting turned away cos it was full) just kills the momentum. The rest for your legs isn't worth the hours (literally) looking at your watch wondering what time you'll be making it into Alexandra Gardens. The fact that in both years the wind hasn't really gotten up on the Sorrento - Melbourne leg until later in the day also helps.

Other than that, was a good day. Sad to see so many accidents (and looking like serious ones as well, although i suppose anything at 30km/h plus is going to be serious), and the sandblasting on the final few km of Beach Road would have been very unpleasant if there weren't so many riders around. Only criticism would be to throw in one or two more rest stops (especially in the last 60km or so) and to have free water at all rest stops.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 am

WoolleyMammoth wrote:Only criticism would be to throw in one or two more rest stops (especially in the last 60km or so) and to have free water at all rest stops.
I stopped at every stop but 2 and they all had free water...and I don't remember seeing a stretch of more than about 20km where you couldn't stop *somewhere*. But next year I want to try doing it with just 3 stops (Frankston, Sorrento and Geelong). I didn't really need most of the ones I took except to fill up the water bottle, so I'll make sure I have two.

I know I was lucky, but did anyone who made it to Sorrento to Queenscliff before 10:30 have to wait very long for the ferry? If not then that seems to be the key - get to the crossing as quickly as you can, and take it easy the rest of the way if you need to.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:58 am

Congrats to all who managed to get out on Sunday. I was on the 11am ferry, but unfortunately not as an ATB participant. Unbelievably packed, and of course junior_no_pro got cranky necessitating walking laps around the ferry to calm her down. I dont think I stood on anyones fingers but apologies if I did. Nice to see everyone was fairly pleasant, little miss 11 month old greatly enjoyed trying out her newly aquired waving skills on a large number of random cyclists and was suitably pleased to have almost all of those waves returned :lol:

Driving down to Queenscliff was interesting as usual (not the first time I have had to do it the same day as ATB). Most of the cyclists were good, most of the motorists were good. Some were not, which again reinforces my opinion that cars/bikes arent the problem, the people piloting them are.

Congratulations to the idiot in the rapido cycles jersey who nearly ended up under my front wheels somewhere between Wallington and Queenscliff. Swerving out of the group to be the fourth wide right in front of a car without even looking is a recipe for disaster. Fortunately no oncoming traffic meant I could swerve out of your way. Had that not been the case chances are I would have had the rest of my life to try and forget the day I hit and killed a cyclist, you would have had no such concerns as its unlikely you would have survived even taking into account I was travelling 25-30km below the posted speed limit.

That aside, glad to hear everyone enjoyed themselves. Hopefully I will get to join you again next year 8)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

dude18

Postby dude18 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:43 pm

One amazing sight I saw on Sunday was a dude on an incumbent bike, no legs and pedalling by hand. I think this partly gave me the courage not to give up when I had some bike problems.
I tip my hat to him.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:56 pm

dude18 wrote:One amazing sight I saw on Sunday was a dude on an incumbent bike, no legs and pedalling by hand. I think this partly gave me the courage not to give up when I had some bike problems.
I tip my hat to him.
I saw him coming into Sorrento as I was leaving. At first I thought I was seeing things but after taking a second look I realised he was pedaling with his hands....and was keeping up with those around him no problem.

Absolutely inspiring!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 pm

I had a great ride. 50km in 2010 (on a single speed wearing jeans!), 100km in 2011, 130km in 2012. I can see a pattern emerging.

Just great to ride among so many diverse riders. I find riding can sometimes be a solitary experience, but going out on a community event like that is quite an affirming experience.

On another note, anybody know what the deal is with these groups?

http://www.zag.com.au/around-the-bay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I appreciate its a public road, can't keep non-registrants from attending - but seeing a large group of Team !!! Spammer !!! riders, mixed in with random ATB riders riding up towards Frankston from Sorrenton, with a Team !!! Spammer !!! 4WD riding alongside the group of riding, causing vehicle traffic to go around, handing out drinks, shooting the breeze, reading out horoscopes, godknowswot, seemed a bit idiotic.

They didn't seem to be registered. I could be wrong. They didn't have their plates on their bikes but maybe they didn't have them on as its not 'pro'. One would think from that line of business endeavour, a registration fee wouldn't be that much of an ask either. Anyway, i appreciate that not everyone is financially disposed to pay the entry fee. But the degree of organisation that this particular group had, one would hope that they did tip some money into the communal pot.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 pm

I had a great ride. 50km in 2010 (on a single speed wearing jeans!), 100km in 2011, 130km in 2012. I can see a pattern emerging.

Just great to ride among so many diverse riders. I find riding can sometimes be a solitary experience, but going out on a community event like that is quite an affirming experience.

On another note, anybody know what the deal is with these groups?

http://www.zag.com.au/around-the-bay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I appreciate its a public road, can't keep non-registrants from attending - but seeing a large group of Team !!! Spammer !!! riders, mixed in with random ATB riders riding up towards Frankston from Sorrenton, with a Team !!! Spammer !!! 4WD riding alongside the group of riding, causing vehicle traffic to go around, handing out drinks, shooting the breeze, reading out horoscopes, godknowswot, seemed a bit idiotic.

They didn't seem to be registered. I could be wrong. They didn't have their plates on their bikes but maybe they didn't have them on as its not 'pro'. One would think from that line of business endeavour, a registration fee wouldn't be that much of an ask either. Anyway, i appreciate that not everyone is financially disposed to pay the entry fee. But the degree of organisation that this particular group had, one would hope that they did tip some money into the communal pot.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Read that link. I'd say it's dealers, clients and friends seeking a different experience on the day. Support vehicles and corporate largesse dispensed in a way that is considered appropriate for their perceived effort and station in life but not in the spirit of the ride perhaps. Probably entered for the ride but not illegal to do it this way unless road laws are broken. Some maybe, when they achieve a certain status, look for points of difference to separate themselves from the hoi polloi.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:39 am

wizdofaus wrote:P.S. just entered http://www.rideforhome.com.au, 75km Ringwood-Frankston-Ringwood. Optimistically put myself in as C grade. I think I might be addicted...
Guess it wasn't that optimistic, somehow managed to average 37.5 to complete in 2 hours flat. Challenge now is to do ATB at the same speed!

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:15 pm

well done wizard! here's my experience today (copied from another thread)

Eastlink ride today, in Melbourne. Weather was not entirely kind, but wow, what a road! Me and a mate took turns pulling a bunch of 12-14 down to Frankston said 12-14 offered no help!), got down there (35ks) in just under an hour.
On the way back, after the 2 of us doing so much work, we said we'd take it a bit easier. Then 10 minutes later, Simon Gerrans and about 30 hangers on started to pass us.. we couldn't resist, and jumped on. What an experience, being on Gerrans' wheel for 20km. Even if he was taking it easy (which he no doubt was!), it was fantastic. Got us home about 4-5kmph quicker than we'd planned, and got to watch his cadence, how he got up small hills etc.
Even though it was only 75km, and fairly flat, I was the sorest I've been after a ride. Bum, hammy's, groins... ouch. We figured out why, same position for 2hrs 14min, no geting up out of the saddle - and of course working hard on the way down.
Anyway, even though I've done longer, hillier, and more scenic rides, today was definitely an experience I'd recommend, and I'll be doing it again next year (hopefully a bit dryer!)

Well done on the 2hr time!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:05 pm

oldnewby wrote:Well done on the 2hr time!
Thanks, no way I could have done that on the bike I did ATB on though (flatbar with strapless platform pedals!). But yeah, was pretty sore in the butt at the end, which I didn't have after ATB. The better half then wanted to go for another ride in the afternoon (mind you, I could keep up with her pace at a slow jog!), so including riding to/from event, wound up riding nearly 150km today

Still waiting for the results page to show up. Impressive that the SMS with the official time arrived literally as a I crossed the line.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Awesome to follow everyones story, I have a photo here of the Bupa Around The Bay that I thought i'd share with everyone.

The first cycling event:

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Looking good !!

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:40 am

Riggsbie wrote:Looking good !!
Thanks Riggsbie, I was so cold in the morning that I couldn't even ride straight hahaha.