HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby Magnus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Did anyone catch the full interview between Phil Anderson and the Four Corners journo - it included bribery allegations.

The Journo showed Anderson video footage of cyclist Stephen Swart swearing under oath that Anderson and Armstrong met him (Swart) in a hotel room to pay him (and his Coors team) $50,000 not to challenge Armstrong in the second of 3 races that make up the Triple crown series in the US (in the early 90's I think). Armstrong had already won the first leg and needed to win the next two legs to secure a $1,000,000 bonus. Armstrong won all three races and the bonus.

Anderson's response to the question about the truth of the allegation was, in my opinion, tentative and highly unconvincing. He said that he couldn't remember the meeting or the bribery offer and added that "this doesn't say it didn't happen". Which one of us could forget whether or not we ever offered 50K to someone for whatever reason? This sounds to me very much like a non-denial denial.

Anyone see it?
Magnus
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 am

by BNA » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:36 pm

BNA
 

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:36 pm

LA has stepped down from the board and Livestrong will likely to continue until it runs out of money or reinvent its image. Take the glass door sticker down and all will continue.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:15 pm

find_bruce wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Prior to the release of USADA's findings, who were you aware of?

You mean apart from Mark Roland, Nathan O'Neil, Carey Hall and Stephen Pate ?

Those, and these are just some in last few years that have actually been formally issued sanctions:
Mark French, Gregory Ball, Graham Rootes, Josh Cornish, Michael Stallard, Gregory Ford, James Kelly, Stephen Hines, Jules Amos, Stephen Sabine, Andrew Burne, Daniel Galea, Andrew Wyper, Hilton McMurdo

Prior to that there was Martin Vinnicomb, the whole "injection of vitamins" mess with the AIS track sprint squad prior to Athens Olympics, and sadly Jobie Dajka taking his own life some time later.

That's just tip of the iceberg of course since of course we know that the vast majority of dopers don't actually end up with positive doping controls, and very few of these are from the second half of 1990s and first half of 2000s - the biggest doping period in cycling.
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Magnus wrote:Did anyone catch the full interview between Phil Anderson and the Four Corners journo - it included bribery allegations.

The Journo showed Anderson video footage of cyclist Stephen Swart swearing under oath that Anderson and Armstrong met him (Swart) in a hotel room to pay him (and his Coors team) $50,000 not to challenge Armstrong in the second of 3 races that make up the Triple crown series in the US (in the early 90's I think). Armstrong had already won the first leg and needed to win the next two legs to secure a $1,000,000 bonus. Armstrong won all three races and the bonus.

Anderson's response to the question about the truth of the allegation was, in my opinion, tentative and highly unconvincing. He said that he couldn't remember the meeting or the bribery offer and added that "this doesn't say it didn't happen". Which one of us could forget whether or not we ever offered 50K to someone for whatever reason? This sounds to me very much like a non-denial denial.

Anyone see it?

Nothing to see here, move along....
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Nothing to see here, move along....

Sorry, was just absent mindedly channelling my inner brentono
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby ningnangnong » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Rabobank to cease sponsoring professional cycling teams - http://www.rabosport.com/news/item/25789

I wonder if we'll see many other sponsors follow suit?
ningnangnong
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:42 pm
Location: Bikini Atoll

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:50 pm

ningnangnong wrote:Rabobank to cease sponsoring professional cycling teams - http://www.rabosport.com/news/item/25789

I wonder if we'll see many other sponsors follow suit?

Not to mention all the potential sponsors that will definitely stay away...
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Not to mention all the potential sponsors that will definitely stay away...

UCI probably had this concern when they realised how big this whole deal is. In effect, it got sucked in. Or rather, the whole sport sucked itself in.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Might want to be careful about references to Mark French seeing as the CAS overturned the ban & he has so far been awarded $350,000 & $175,000 in defamation proceedings
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby exadios » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:15 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Remember that until this week, Australian riders had been beyond reproach. I'm not naive.

Then we have evidence of a multiverse.


A question to all theoretical physicist on the board: What is the least number of universes necessary to ensure that no Australian professional cyclists have doped?
User avatar
exadios
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:07 am
Location: Melville, WA

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:20 am

exadios wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Remember that until this week, Australian riders had been beyond reproach. I'm not naive.

Then we have evidence of a multiverse.


A question to all theoretical physicist on the board: What is the least number of universes necessary to ensure that no Australian professional cyclists have doped?

Somewhere over the rainbow, there’s a magical land :wink:
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2575
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Narre Warren, Victoria

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:15 am

exadios wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Remember that until this week, Australian riders had been beyond reproach. I'm not naive.

Then we have evidence of a multiverse.


A question to all theoretical physicist on the board: What is the least number of universes necessary to ensure that no Australian professional cyclists have doped?

There would be a finite solution to your question but it would be pointless to determine. To maintain this nirvana you would have to exponentially increase the number of them with the passage of time.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby exadios » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Cycling’s governing body agrees to strip Lance Armstrong of his 7 Tour de France titles.

“Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling and he deserves to be forgotten in cycling.”
User avatar
exadios
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:07 am
Location: Melville, WA

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby damhooligan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 pm

exadios wrote:Cycling’s governing body agrees to strip Lance Armstrong of his 7 Tour de France titles.

“Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling and he deserves to be forgotten in cycling.”


He should not be forgotten....
he did managed to get 7 tdf titles without getting caught.... (until now)
He did manage to do lots of things.....

Dont forget it.. learn from it
And use it to stop doping!!

One must ask... how could this happen.. and how can prevent it??
this is not just about lance anymore....
There are many people to blame for this...

This should not be forgotten.. ever!!
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:28 am

damhooligan wrote:
Dont forget it.. learn from it
And use it to stop doping!!

This should not be forgotten.. ever!!


Spot on.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6787
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:43 am

Image
Image
User avatar
DaveOZ
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am
Location: Bowral NSW

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:17 am

Now that McQuaid of UCI have accepted USADA's work (it was, after all, easier than to do otherwise, something that the UCI seems to have form on) has stated a desire that Lance Armstrong be forgotten, then a few bike tracks and roads around the planet will need to be renamed methinks.

I suspect tha UCI is really hoping that the Armstrong affair is forgotten, rather than Lance. I truly hope not - there is much to be done including cleaning out UCI.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:25 am

Richard Glover on ABC yesterday evening (paraphrased):

"Of course the real worry in the wake of the Lance Armstrong debacle is that young drug users will now start to think that cycling is cool."
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/
User avatar
JustJames
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 am

In the last week or so Phil has been creeping towards a mea culp but doing his best to not admit to denial in the face of evidence (as well as obscuring or denying has his own responsibility from his profile in cycling or any proffesional obligations as a speialist journalist).

So, his reasoning as to what finally convinced he has been backing the wrong story makes no sense. Except to not have to admit wanton disregard for the evidence that was there all the time.
""I am like everybody else. I had no idea such an in-depth drug scheme was taking place.
Yeah - there was no reason for Phil to be concerned. :roll: And no-one else harboured any suspicions either.

Yep, nothing that went before was convincing or worthy of his won proper assessement. Nope - Phil came to the right conclusion finally with this piece of self serving logic:
"If there were any lingering doubts as far as I was concerned, when Nike and all his sponsors pulled out, but continued to donate to Livestrong, quite clearly a deal was struck.

"We’ll donate to Livestrong Lance, providing you leave the company as chairman’.

"That’s about the nearest I think we’re going to get to a confession from Lance. And if he does confess, that leaves him wide open to a myriad legal entanglements."

Yep, the logic is compelling Phil :( And everything before this was just fluff.

Lifted from http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/cycling-commentator-phil-liggett-says-lance-armstrong-made-a-fool-out-of-him/story-fnbk754t-1226500550404
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:43 am

Get on board the bikePure train and lend your support people. They're one of our best bets for a better cycling future.
I got Alex Morgan and his WR Jnr Pursuit WC'S mates signed up with them, and I've just passed on details of 2 more rising Aussie juniors that are chomping at the bit to commit to a clean future for cycling.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 pm

JustJames wrote:Richard Glover on ABC yesterday evening (paraphrased):

"Of course the real worry in the wake of the Lance Armstrong debacle is that young drug users will now start to think that cycling is cool."

:lol:



McQuaid disgusts me : "Forget Lance" ... "Whistleblowers are scumbags". Ahole McQuaid is the one who should be forgotten. :evil:
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby schroeds » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Really good analysis of the McQuad announcement here http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/oct/22/uci-mcquaid-usada-armstrong.

Meantime, if there's a phd in denial these two would sail through

Image

Image
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 am

Kimmage counter attacks by suing Verbruggen and McQuaid

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13195 ... z2B0pabEQH
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:17 am

Ross wrote:Kimmage counter attacks by suing Verbruggen and McQuaid

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13195 ... z2B0pabEQH


Lol - when I have some spare money, I'll add to the fund. Go Kimmage!
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby schroeds » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:43 am

+1 :D

The brave and righteous are stepping forward. It's a new era dawning. Bring it on.
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit