Velo Saddle Bolt Source

as7431

Velo Saddle Bolt Source

Postby as7431 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:39 am

Hi all

Broke the saddle bolt today on my velo saddle - the both that hold the clamp that grips the saddle rails. Had to ride the remaining 7km of my commute standing up - not fun! The bolt is an M8 x 1.0 (that is fine pitch thread), and has a curved base to the head which locates into the curve of the seat post. Anyone know where I can get one in Perth or online? For now I have a conventional socket cap bolt, which got me home, but the contact area with the seat post is not great.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

open roader

Re: Velo Saddle Bolt Source

Postby open roader » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:43 pm

The bolt that holds the clamp that grips the saddle rails is actually part of the seat post - the seat post clamp tension bolt.

Should not be difficult to find a replacement - can you post up a pic illustrating the curved base to the head which you describe?

If not try searching Probolt Australia

http://www.probolt-australia.com/
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

as7431

Postby as7431 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Open Roader

You are correct - no idea what I was thinking assuming it was part of the saddle!! Clearly it is not. I blame the 7km of stand-up riding.

The seat post. I think is one of these

I need the nut with the little serrations on it.

Tim

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 am

Oxygen debt is still impairing your cognitive functions. 8)

The serrated part is a "washer" for want of a better word between the head of the bolt and the seat post. On my bikes it is an allen headed machine screw. (Technically a bolt is only threaded at the end.)
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as7431

Postby as7431 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:05 pm

JustJames wrote:Oxygen debt is still impairing your cognitive functions. 8)
No doubt impaired and let's blame the oxygen debt :D
JustJames wrote:The serrated part is a "washer" for want of a better word between the head of the bolt and the seat post. On my bikes it is an allen headed machine screw. (Technically a bolt is only threaded at the end.)
Agreed - I have a bolt at the moment (only machined at the end) but no washer - I need a source for the washer (and probably something better than a mild steel bolt)

Tim

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 pm

This is one of those cases where your LBS is more useful than the interwebz.

Pop along to your LBS with the wreckage...they will prolly have what you need in a box somewhere.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;