Cycling hygene

robbiepapenfus

Cycling hygene

Postby robbiepapenfus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi guys,

I know this is going to sound like a VERY silly question / post, so I’m just preparing you guys 

I currently commute to work, about 10km each way (20km per day). I bought myself a Rock Lobster cycling jersey for the summer.

I only have one of these jerseys. Do you guys wear the same cycling jersey everyday or do you have few jerseys which you rotate in the week?

Obviously i cant afford to have 5 cycling jerseys for each day of the week, so do you guys re-use your jerseys even though you have had a good sweat in them?

I know, a rather strange question, but just wanted to see what you guys do.

Cheers,
Robbie

Kenzo

Re: Cycling hygene

Postby Kenzo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm

I have lots of jerseys.

You can buy cheap wicking sports t-shirts from BigW which will do a bang-up job too. Just no pockets.

dude18

Postby dude18 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:22 pm

If it is only the jersey that I need to wash, I usually handwash it everyday and spin it in the washing machine. It dries overnight since it is made of those synthetic quick dry fabric.

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks guys!

I was thinking of wearing the cheap wicking sports t-shirts under my cycling jersey.. with the idea that it will absorb most the sweat hence keeping my one and only cycling jersey cleaner for longer.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm

For any item of cycling clothing, the number of washes should never be more than 1 behind the number of wears, and that only briefly.

Tomorrow: Behind your ears - yes, you should wash there!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:57 pm

I've got good jerseys (club gear etc) but also find the cheap Cell ones to work quite well. It's not hard to buy some spare ones.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 pm

robbiepapenfus wrote:Thanks guys!

I was thinking of wearing the cheap wicking sports t-shirts under my cycling jersey.. with the idea that it will absorb most the sweat hence keeping my one and only cycling jersey cleaner for longer.
No, that won't work. For a start, two jerseys = warming-up very quickly with the possibility of overheating on warm or hot days and also, the sweat will just wick out of one layer and into the other. Remember that wicking fabrics don't absorb, hence the word "wicking". You can get sub-$20 jerseys online from Cell if you need the jersey style of top or, as mentioned, wicking fabric T-shirts for $12 - $15 at Big W or KMart
Not my circus, not my monkeys

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:08 pm

robbiepapenfus wrote:Hi guys,

I know this is going to sound like a VERY silly question / post, so I’m just preparing you guys 

I currently commute to work, about 10km each way (20km per day). I bought myself a Rock Lobster cycling jersey for the summer.

I only have one of these jerseys. Do you guys wear the same cycling jersey everyday or do you have few jerseys which you rotate in the week?

Obviously i cant afford to have 5 cycling jerseys for each day of the week, so do you guys re-use your jerseys even though you have had a good sweat in them?

I know, a rather strange question, but just wanted to see what you guys do.

Cheers,
Robbie
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/cle ... plain.aspx

or

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/bel ... -mens.aspx

or

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/QMJ ... --armadale

I's also signup to a couple of sites and get their newsletters as they often have specials on jerseys.

Other than that, I wear a jersey twice (Monday/Wednesday, Tuesday/Thursday) airing on the day between. Cuts down on the complaining (oops - washing) :)

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm

JustJames wrote:For any item of cycling clothing, the number of washes should never be more than 1 behind the number of wears,..

Do you apply this "theory" to gloves? because boy mine would be lucky to get washed once a month.

All these responses make me feel unclean, I'll wear a jersey for a 2nd ride which the first may have been 60km's and the jersey has just been thrown on the floor and still a little damp when i put it back on, but i am no commuting cyclist so offending people with BO isn't an issue.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Mrfenejeans wrote:
JustJames wrote:For any item of cycling clothing, the number of washes should never be more than 1 behind the number of wears,..

Do you apply this "theory" to gloves? because boy mine would be lucky to get washed once a month.

All these responses make me feel unclean, I'll wear a jersey for a 2nd ride which the first may have been 60km's and the jersey has just been thrown on the floor and still a little damp when i put it back on, but i am no commuting cyclist so offending people with BO isn't an issue.
When I wear gloves, YES!

Mostly I don't like wearing gloves.

Re-wearing cycling clothing that is pre-sweated is just plain gross.

*makes mental note of people never to ride behind*
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:46 pm

I have got multiple lots of cycling kit so I just wash it all every day. Gloves usually let them go a few days depending if I have snotted all over them or not.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:01 pm

I have many jerseys. You can get some cheap new ones on Cell or used ones on Ebay. There are other outlets that also sell cheapies(ABC, Torpedo, Cycling Deal etc..) but make sure you check the arm to arm measurement or try them on before you buy. Hand washing only takes a few minutes and they dry pretty quickly. I certainly would'nt wear them day after day without washing them :shock:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Ross wrote:I have got multiple lots of cycling kit so I just wash it all every day. Gloves usually let them go a few days depending if I have snotted all over them or not.
+1
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:09 pm

I am never going to buy second hand clothing. Gross.

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Like others have mentioned, the Cell jersey's are great for commuting. I just keep an eye out for their sales, often get them in the $10-$15 range. They're not super high quality or anything like that, but they've got elastic were you need it and they're long in the back, which is pretty much all you need to the regular commute. Mine get tossed in the wash with everything else, and they're still holding up fine after being worn probably 2 days per week for the past year. I find they can get a bit manky after a while, even with regular washing, so I just chuck them in a bucket of napisan/water for a day and then toss in the regular wash.

Edit:
Though watch out for their Pacer jersey. It's very lightweight, which is awesome, but the white section is also pretty much see-through, especially when it gets wet. Think wet t-shirt style see-through. :) I just make sure that those jerseys get worn with bib knicks and it's all good.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm in the other camp, don't wash nearly enough, same jersey for a week in winter, a couple of days for summer, but I always ensure that they are well dried after wearing. Its the manky undried sweat that causes the nasty problems. There is a drying room at work, then hung up at home. If its been left on the floor, time for a new one.

EDIT: Gloves don't get washed, they tend to fall apart or shrivel up and die in the wash by the time they get into the machine. But again - always dried.
Last edited by bychosis on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 pm

What is Cell?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 pm

robbiepapenfus wrote:What is Cell?
Cell Bikes - good cheap Australian online (and retail) store. :)

I wear the same gear both ways for my commute but jersey/knicks/socks/headsweat(s?) are washed after each day's riding. I have tonnes of cheap knicks and jerseys I've picked up a couple at a time specifically for commuting. All sub-$20 (occasionally up to $30 if I'm desperate) items and all good enough quality for me.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Robbie

Send me a PM with your address. I have a summer jersey and some bib shorts that you may have for free.
Haven't worn them for quite awhile, better off being used by you.

Cheers
Rob

kait

Postby kait » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Crowz wrote:I am never going to buy second hand clothing. Gross.
Why not? Once it's washed it's clean and all traces of the other person are gone.

I find ebay invaluable for second hand cycling clothesn on a budget.

othy

Postby othy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:56 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
robbiepapenfus wrote:Thanks guys!

No, that won't work. For a start, two jerseys = warming-up very quickly with the possibility of overheating on warm or hot days and also, the sweat will just wick out of one layer and into the other. Remember that wicking fabrics don't absorb, hence the word "wicking". You can get sub-$20 jerseys online from Cell if you need the jersey style of top or, as mentioned, wicking fabric T-shirts for $12 - $15 at Big W or KMart
A few years ago I started wearing undershirts all year round, they don't cause overheating, in fact help prevent it. I use Craft branded ones. The wicking pulls the moisture away from your body then it cools in the wind almost immediately. They don't do a whole lot to help keep the jersey clean though.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:11 pm

[quote="othy"] I use Craft branded ones... [quote]

+1 I got a few Craft sleevless a few weeks ago have been finding them to be terrific, hottest it's gotten on a ride for me has been probably about 25degrees which isn't all that hot but I am definitely becoming a convert to wearing summer base layers.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 pm

I was my cycling shirt, bibs, warmers, socks, halo band after each day (I ride morning and evening of the same day). Gloves and jackets gets washed after about two or three days.

Even jumping into used bibs and shirt in the evening kinda grosses me out :?
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 pm

kait wrote:
Crowz wrote:
I am never going to buy second hand clothing. Gross.

Why not? Once it's washed it's clean and all traces of the other person are gone.

Agree. Nothing gross about wearing used jerseys but I draw the line at used underpants :(

shann

Postby shann » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:31 pm

*shudders* Even on my early morning rides it is above 25 degrees and I am sweating, there is no way I could wear anything other than gloves more than once. I have a few jerseys that I rotate, but only one pair of nicks at the moment. Luckily this hot weather also means things dry quickly outside, so it's easy to wash and wear the next day.