Sydney weather this morning!!!

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 pm

i went out to Appin today for the 8hr mountain bike race. Was a good day with perfect weather and excellent track. Very tiring though as lots of techie stuff with no resting.

Don

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon May 26, 2008 8:14 pm

How did you go Don ?

How far in 8 hours ? Where'd you finish ?

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:28 am

Anyone else been lucky enough to be riding in this beautiful Sydney weather of an afternoon this week> Damn it's been near perfect riding weather.

My commutes home have slow and relaxing. Just enjoying the day.

Kev.

Oh, the mornings could be a little warmer though

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Did 60kms on the M7 cycleway today Kev and you're right the weather is just fantastic for a ride :) .

Dial

Postby Dial » Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Speaking of evening rides. There is a mean thunderstorm over Sydney at the moment. looks like public transport is the only option tonight :(

Hope you didn't get caught out

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Wed May 28, 2008 7:10 pm

Dial wrote:Speaking of evening rides. There is a mean thunderstorm over Sydney at the moment. looks like public transport is the only option tonight :(

Beat it by 8 minutes.

But I gained a whole new perspective on the lightning that preceded the downpour. I haven't appreciated it in quite the same way when I've been sitting inside a motor vehicle.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Dial wrote:Speaking of evening rides. There is a mean thunderstorm over Sydney at the moment. looks like public transport is the only option tonight :(

Wasn't that bad, Toff and I rode thru it
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Was having a pleasant ride home until I swung around to the south and spied the black clouds and lightning. Legs were fatigued until that point, then the adrenalin kicked in and I powered home.

Only copped a few drops, nothing to talk about....but I did rescue the washing off the line before it hit. :D

Had about 10 minutes to spare in the end.

Kev.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:

Tough!! Didn't stop you on the bike but delayed my wife's plane to Brisbane tonight :-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Boognoss wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:

Tough!! Didn't stop you on the bike but delayed my wife's plane to Brisbane tonight :-).
Perhaps it was different down at the airport as to what is was like on the lower north shore and and inner west.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Starfire

Postby Starfire » Wed May 28, 2008 10:13 pm

The ride home was nice tonight. I thought it would be cold, this morning was freezing! But evening was nice....

I got 5 tiny drops of rain. I was sort of hoping for more. I love riding in a small shower :)
Starfire: I am happy to see her. But Blackfire rules the videogames and she is able to share very depressing poems AND she knows the cool moves and she always knows when people are NOT talking about shovels.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 29, 2008 6:39 am

Supposedly it hailed over near Homebush/Strathfield.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 pm

The clouds rolled across Homebush in a way that would have made a special effects guy green with envy. I was training my U6s on the fields at Ermington and we were watching the lighting hitting the Olympic stadium. They closed the grounds when the lightning came across the Parra river onto our field. The U7s didn't get their run and then it didn't rain. It sure looked pretty though.

David

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu May 29, 2008 6:22 pm

I heard the Sydney weather was nice today. I'm in Canberra for a few days, did a ride starting at 6:00am and the temp was 0c....guys n gals, this is damn cold :-)

Hope the rest of the week is fine for you, will be back this weekend.

Cheers Pete

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu May 29, 2008 9:34 pm

The sky was dark and a few spots of rain were about when I got home from work so I decided not to venture out. The weather actually improved after that and would've been good for a ride. Dirty on myself now.

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri May 30, 2008 6:29 am

It was nice out with lots of cyclists on the M7 Cycleway..

challs

Postby challs » Fri May 30, 2008 7:32 am

I haven't had much luck this week.
Managed to commute on monday, have ben sick for a couple days and couldn't ride, went to ride this morning and my rear tail light was not working!! I decided not to risk it in the fog. Looks like another session on the rollers tonight instead... :roll:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat May 31, 2008 9:22 am

I haven't had much saddle time this week either. Feeling a bit off.... This morning I intended to go out for 3-4 hours and ended up just doing 25km. The fog annoyed me too much.

Does anyone else with specs or riding glasses have any fog tips. I hate smeared vision, so it's stop and wipe with a tissue time every few minutes in thick fog. :evil: The back of the gloves just don't cut it.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat May 31, 2008 11:06 am

Boognoss wrote:Does anyone else with specs or riding glasses have any fog tips. I hate smeared vision, so it's stop and wipe with a tissue time every few minutes in thick fog. :evil: The back of the gloves just don't cut it.
Mr Sheen on the inside and out of the lens, unless they already have a coating. I do this on my cheaper BBB glasses, it isn't necessary on Oakleys as they already have a permanent anti fog/hydrophobic coating.

Will also make rain flow off the lens better, so if you're riding in fog the water should bead up and flow off.

Then make sure there is a gap between the top of your glasses frame and your head, so that the humid air can get out and not fog up the inside.

They will still fog up at slow speed but will clear much more quickly.

Personally I try not to ride in thick fog because of the lower visibility for cars.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat May 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Was on the M7 cycleway today between 11.30 and about 13.45, could not have been a better day for riding.
Not as many people out there, around that time, as I expected given the awesome weather. The notable exception was the older guy (older than me anyway) on a nice looking BMC who kicked my a#%e going up the hills around Hoxton Park/Cecil Hills :oops: .
He was going up in a much bigger gear than I was. I was spinning he wasn't. Maybe Don is right and they're not really hills :lol: .
I've gotta work harder.

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat May 31, 2008 7:12 pm

hope the weather stays good, i am heading out for a 2hr ride in about 1hr time (8pm), kids are asleep and housework done, so a ride for me, hopefully my riding buddy turns up so i dont ride alone :(

Don

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat May 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Chuck wrote:How did you go Don ?

How far in 8 hours ? Where'd you finish ?
sorry, missed this question, short version as i am about to go for a night ride.
Was in a team of 2, mate has not been on a bike since october last yr so he wasnt going to ge very well.
The track was very technical, 9.5km each lap of continuous up rocks/boulders, jump off rocks, creeks crossings with mostly single track and very little firetrail, no resting at all per lap as had to concentrate alot to stay on the bike. Had one otb but landed nicely and didnt break bike or bones.
I did 6 laps and mate did 3 laps. We could of got atleast 2 more laps in as w wasted 5 mins between laps chatting and stuff and we finished before the 8hr mark also. I think we came 30something out of about 50 teams in our category, its all i expected with having a slower team mate, but we had a good day and the track even though tough and energy draining was lots of fun. Next one is in Killingworth (newcastle), not sure if i can make it as have family stuff on. The 8hr events are good fun though and everyone is fairly relaxed so recomend them to all.

Don

sandman

Postby sandman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:33 am

We had a bit of drizzle down at the Regatta this morning. You could hear the cursing from the Peleton, would have been real crap if it got heavier. Have decided not to ride down the M7 today incase it gets real wet.

Pete

challs

Postby challs » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:14 pm

Hey Sandman,

How was the race??

Couldn't drag myselfout of bed this morning, needed a sleep-in. Will probably race out at oakville next week.

sandman

Postby sandman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Hey Kirt

Rather than blurt out a race report in another thread, I'll bore you with the details :-) It wasn't that cold this morning, I put the thermal top on under the long sleeved jersey but when I got to the Regatta center, I ended up taking that off as it wasn't that cold.

Took the brave pills and entered in B grade, race was great, 70km with about 25 starters. Had no idea what to expect as its the first ever race so I listened to John along the way. I could certainly see that the group picked the n00b and tried to leave me do a lot of the work especially into the headwind. The pace was moderate with a few breakaways and I got a feel for when to chase and when to sit back and watch them get reeled in.

Mistake I did make, John told me the number of a guy to stick with, last turn onto the straight, 3 guys got away and I wondered if I should chase this guy, thinking that he might blow up being so far out from the line. Well this was my mistake, I ended up learning what the sprint was all about, there was a double sprint with the guys drafting others sprinting off the bridge then slingshot out and going hard. I managed to come 6th which I was darned happy with.

Carol and I went over to Rouse Hill this afternoon and the walking around just killed my legs :-) Might see you at Oakville then next weekend, I hear its not so flat which will make it more interesting.

Cheers..Pete