eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

ldrcycles

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:19 pm

grantw wrote:
cray- wrote:$80 Ricardo Viva in Perth, maybe someone from the Ricardo Appreciation Society will be interested? Looks like a Tange 900/1000 sticker, can't pick the groupo.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nedlands ... 1008396703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The description is hilarious. Hand operated brakes ftw.
That and the gears on the vertical shaft between the handlebars and pedals hahaha!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:44 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
grantw wrote:
cray- wrote:$80 Ricardo Viva in Perth, maybe someone from the Ricardo Appreciation Society will be interested? Looks like a Tange 900/1000 sticker, can't pick the groupo.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nedlands ... 1008396703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The description is hilarious. Hand operated brakes ftw.
That and the gears on the vertical shaft between the handlebars and pedals hahaha!
Probably what 'downtube' is in German, translated. :)
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:50 pm

Searching for a seat post for my junker train station Malvern Star and came across this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Campagnolo-2 ... 2a241bbfee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

USD$219.95 (+shipping) for a seat post? What kind of people pay this money for an old alloy seat post?

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:04 pm

frailer5 wrote:Probably what 'downtube' is in German, translated. :)
English to German and back to English:
Ricardo Viva male push bike - blue and white. Padded curved down handle bars, reflectors on wheels and pedals, parcel rack over rear wheel, bell, hand operated brakes on curved handle bars, gears on vertical shaft between handle bars and pedals. White male seat. Drink bottle holder. Clip on forward light. In good condition.
Ricardo Viva männlichen pushbike - blau und weiß. Gepolsterte gebogen nach unten Lenker, Reflektoren an den Rädern und Pedalen, Paket Rack über dem Hinterrad, Glocke, Hand betätigten Bremsen auf gekrümmten Lenker, Zahnräder auf vertikaler Welle zwischen Lenker und Pedale. Weiß männlichen Raum. Trinken Flaschenhalter. Clip auf zukunftsweisende Licht. In gutem Zustand
Ricardo Viva male pushbike - blue and white. Padded curved down handlebars, reflectors on the wheels and pedals, rack package operated over the rear wheel, bell, hand brakes on curved handlebars, gear wheels on a vertical shaft between the handlebars and pedals. White male space. Drink bottle holder. Clip on forward-looking lighting. In good condition.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:32 pm

So its germenglish, that explains everything.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:35 pm

cray- wrote:Searching for a seat post for my junker train station Malvern Star and came across this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Campagnolo-2 ... 2a241bbfee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

USD$219.95 (+shipping) for a seat post? What kind of people pay this money for an old alloy seat post?
I guess the kind of people who have 27.4mm seat tube inner diameters. That extra 2mm is worth a monkey or two

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 am

Fakenago anyone? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Coln ... 2c693c7506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

morini

Postby morini » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 am

frailer5 wrote:Suppose most here have seen the small green Europa (Columbus tubing) in Melb. But what struck me was the Ofmega Brevetto RD. Left field... :| Most definitely not slant parallelogram... (pre '84 or not...). :lol: I guess rarity becomes a collectors magnet, at some point.
It's one of their plastic jobbies. I think I've got a couple but they're prone to cracking.

http://velobase.com/CompImages/RDeraill ... 5432E.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 am

grantw wrote:Fakenago anyone? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Coln ... 2c693c7506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the current price ($0.99), it's not a bad deal. Wouldn't pay more than that though.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am

morini wrote:
frailer5 wrote:Suppose most here have seen the small green Europa (Columbus tubing) in Melb. But what struck me was the Ofmega Brevetto RD. Left field... :| Most definitely not slant parallelogram... (pre '84 or not...). :lol: I guess rarity becomes a collectors magnet, at some point.
It's one of their plastic jobbies. I think I've got a couple but they're prone to cracking.

http://velobase.com/CompImages/RDeraill ... 5432E.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting. I think Simplex came unstuck in the early 60s by using some sort of 'super plastic'. I had such a simple thing on my bike, in the day... 4 speed? Can't remember... Treated it with kid gloves, rightly so, I think. But at least it got me up from the Longueville shore-front after an afternoon's racing on a 12 ft skiff. The tailing nor'-easter on the Artarmon ridge on the run home to North Sydney I still remember as bliss, though.

On another topic, can one of our burlier members here be given the address of the PITA who floods 'Road Bikes' with kiddie-bikes on fleabay? :x There is a Kids Bikes category, fer cryin' out loud. What could they be possibly thinking of gaining. But that's fleabay, I guess. :|

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 am

Still looking on behalf of my diminutive work colleague, on limited budget. Should this be steered clear of? That rust around the lugging looks a bit to serious, though I may be wrong. Link

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:26 am

grantw wrote:
cray- wrote:USD$219.95 (+shipping) for a seat post? What kind of people pay this money for an old alloy seat post?
I guess the kind of people who have 27.4mm seat tube inner diameters. That extra 2mm is worth a monkey or two
Is 27.4mm uncommon? There is a no-name jobbie going for $15. :P
rkelsen wrote:
grantw wrote:Fakenago anyone? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Coln ... 2c693c7506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the current price ($0.99), it's not a bad deal. Wouldn't pay more than that though.
If the seat post I linked above is worth $219.95 those cranks have got to be worth a couple $1000 easy right? Add the hubs, headset and other bits and bobs and I'm thinking I might cash in an take a year off work. WOOHOO! :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:34 am

I am looking for a similar bike & the rust on pretty much all of the lugs put me off. May be ok, but I dn't feel like taking the chance.

Besides anyone who claims "For a one time listing only,offered for a quick sale." and then lists it twice also sets off minor warnings

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 pm

frailer5 wrote:Still looking on behalf of my diminutive work colleague, on limited budget. Should this be steered clear of? That rust around the lugging looks a bit to serious, though I may be wrong.
That fork looks a little bent to me in the non drive side photo, but it could just be the angle. In any case it's not really worth the buy it now price.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Agree with above. Not worth $245. Maybe $145, and even then it needs close checking. The fork may be bent. You see the tiny corrosion patches between the shifters in this picture?

Thats a typical spot that rust will start if its had a front-on shunt, cause it cracks the paintwork and clearcoat just enough for it to start. But there's no corresponding mark under the DT, so it's not definitive. Maybe it just had a spanner dropped on it there yonks ago, who knows?

Jim

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:51 pm

cray- wrote:Is 27.4mm uncommon?
Yeah. It's a NOS Campagnolo GS. The kind of person who would need it wouldn't think twice about paying $220 for it.
cray- wrote:If the seat post I linked above is worth $219.95 those cranks have got to be worth a couple $1000 easy right?
Maybe not, but they are worth significantly more than the rest of the bike. They'd probably go for $100 to $150 on ebay on the right day.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:13 pm

familyguy wrote:Agree with above. Not worth $245. Maybe $145, and even then it needs close checking. The fork may be bent. You see the tiny corrosion patches between the shifters in this picture?

Thats a typical spot that rust will start if its had a front-on shunt, cause it cracks the paintwork and clearcoat just enough for it to start. But there's no corresponding mark under the DT, so it's not definitive. Maybe it just had a spanner dropped on it there yonks ago, who knows?

Jim
Note the black tape on top tube corresponds with the shifter rust. Whats under that tape, looks likeit fresher than everything else too?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote: Note the black tape on top tube corresponds with the shifter rust. Whats under that tape, looks likeit fresher than everything else too?
Good call. It'd possibly be bent there too if it was in a stack.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:37 pm

familyguy wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote: Note the black tape on top tube corresponds with the shifter rust. Whats under that tape, looks likeit fresher than everything else too?
Good call. It'd possibly be bent there too if it was in a stack.
Everything on that bike is old and faded, except for 2 pieces of shiny new looking electrical tape wrapped on odd spots of the frame for no good reason. Top Tube and RH seat stay at top ???? Rust around Head tube lug and fork is off putting as well, and It's a fugly Unicrown fork too.

LG

Postby LG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:27 pm

The green bike in the centre of pic 4 in this bunch looks interesting - double fork crown, wing nuts on front wheel. Just have to buy a whole heap of rubbish to get it :? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cycling-Bike ... 337d3b807f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LG = Low Gear

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:56 pm

LG wrote:The green bike in the centre of pic 4 in this bunch looks interesting - double fork crown, wing nuts on front wheel. Just have to buy a whole heap of rubbish to get it :? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cycling-Bike ... 337d3b807f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well spotted. :) Needle in a haystack there. You'll have to buy it now and let us know what it is :P

LG

Postby LG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:28 pm

Me, no, I'm not shipping all that crap to Tassie. We have enough rubbish down here already. Just hope there's somebody reading this in Melbourne who has a chance to call by and take a peek.
LG = Low Gear

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Not worth it. The net liability is too great. And it's too small... :P

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Surely bent probably hi-ten peugeot = $1200
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-Peug ... 1e73bb92b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:42 pm

"But honey, I've tried to sell it."

:lol: