TCR Advanced 0 (2012)

Sydguy

Re: TCR Advanced 0 (2012)

Postby Sydguy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Test ride lined up for Monday - talked $ tonight and they are adamant $3,999 is the price.

ABC bikes in Liverpool will throw in carbon Ultegra pedals and upgrade wheels to Shimano RS80-C50.

Any opinions on the wheels? Crosswinds on my commute can be brutal... the Giant wheels are OK, I had them on my other TCR and never gave a problem.

If anyone knows where to get a good deal on a 2013 Giant TCR Adv0 in NSW do tell!

JM

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Sydguy wrote:they are adamant $3,999 is the price.
If anyone knows where to get a good deal on a 2013 Giant TCR Adv0 in NSW do tell! JM
They are too new to market to be able to get a deal.
I suspect the only way you'd get the price lower is if you had a really good relationship with the dealer concerned and they were willing to cut their margin because of that (5-10% discount?). Giant might do a 'factory backed sale' sometime after Christmas but maybe not until March. By then you've already lost 3-6 riding months.... :?
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Agree Sven.

Factory backed sale is usually for the month of February all current models 20% off.

Absolutely torn between the 12 and 13 model - found a 12 in my size, can I live with the colour for a $821 discount?

The other side of the coin is I won't be 100%% happy if I pay full retail, I think this crazy sales environment since GFC has conditioned me to getting a great deal, when a TCR with Di2 for $4k is a great deal.

Still torn... I'll make a call Monday or Tuesday!

JM

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Sydguy wrote: found a 12 in my size, can I live with the colour for a $821 discount?
Am I the only one here who thinks that the 2012 TCRs look good? I think they look much better in the flesh, the pictures on the giant website look horrible, is there a marketing technique where you make something look bad on the net so the buyer is surprised when they see it in the flesh?

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:00 am

usernameforme wrote:
Sydguy wrote: found a 12 in my size, can I live with the colour for a $821 discount?
Am I the only one here who thinks that the 2012 TCRs look good?
Probably not given that some people have bought them (I know a couple) but they didn't sell anywhere near as many as they should have thanks to that colour choice.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:36 pm

usernameforme wrote:
Am I the only one here who thinks that the 2012 TCRs look good? I think they look much better in the flesh, the pictures on the giant website look horrible, is there a marketing technique where you make something look bad on the net so the buyer is surprised when they see it in the flesh?
im pretty damm happy with how mine looks...

ive seen 12's for well under $2800.. at that they are a bargin..

Hammo

Postby Hammo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Nice Dale! The Mavics look great!

I bought one yesterday, they were going to charge me an extra $1,000 for the carbone's and I would have lost the other wheel set. I was tempted but thought I would leave it for the moment!

Unfortunately it is raining in Bris today so no ride on the new bike!!

gistane

Postby gistane » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:53 pm

I much prefer the colour of the 2012 version as well.

This is a picture of my bike

Hammo

Postby Hammo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Very nice your wheels look awesome too!!

dale79

Postby dale79 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Hammo wrote:Nice Dale! The Mavics look great!

I bought one yesterday, they were going to charge me an extra $1,000 for the carbone's and I would have lost the other wheel set. I was tempted but thought I would leave it for the moment!

Unfortunately it is raining in Bris today so no ride on the new bike!!
awesome you will love it!

i paid $900 for the Mavics, they go on ebay for around that all the time. $1000 with trading in the orignal wheels is steeeeeep. you will get 300-500 for the stock wheels on ebay as well..

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Grabbed my 2013 TCR Adv 0 this morning, got 10% off without going in too hard. Great way to get rid of a whole heap of $50 notes.

7km test ride was all I had time for, it feels different to my (stolen) TCR Adv 2 (2012) but that is the Di2 and set up not being exact yet.

If anyone has recommendations for cage/bottle combos I am all ears! Does anyone use the Giant Carbon Comp cages? At $50 each retail shop they would want to be pretty good :D

The 2012 models pictured above look great, I was toying up a 2012 with aero wheels or a 2013 with stock for similar money, went the 2013.

Wife liked the look too - even gave me permission to wall mount it in the lounge room!

JM

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Sydguy wrote:Grabbed my 2013 TCR Adv 0 this morning, got 10% off without going in too hard.
JM
Well done - enjoy!
Are the shop concerned also going to set it up/swap parts as part of your deal?

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:07 pm

The shop built it but I did not have the time for a full fit, which would of been free. They give 6 months free adjustments and initial service free.

So I can drop in and get things adjusted. All you need is a torque wrench and you can do it on a mag trainer if you know what to look for.

They would put any bar tape on free, I was going to get black. However because the seat is white/blue they would not swap it out. It just would not suit any other bike with that same seat. They used to end up with Frankenstein bikes that no one purchased.

So I will stick with white bars and white seat for now, I think it looks fine. Eventually I will swap them for black, I'll be watching seats on eBay.

JM

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:43 am

Good to hear you haven't traded out service for the discount. Enjoy the ride :D

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Anyone getting any 'rattling' noise out of their TCR 0? I bounce the bike with 120 psi and I get nothing.

Hit a bump at speed, say 40 km/h, something does rattle. In case it is cable slap I have put little covers on the cables.

Also stopped twice on commute to see if I could detect anything loose - nothing. The battery is on firmly, locked in.

Could it just be the chain/rear mec? Maybe it will be gone tomorrow and it was cable...

If anyone has experienced this let me know. I'd rather not have something come flying off at speed! :D

Set two PR's on the way to work, that was taking it easy with the new rig. It is heavier than the non Di2 Ultegra TCR but damn it feels fast!

You can fly up and down gears at full pelt with no issues.

JM

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:20 pm

There have been a couple of reports elsewhere of riders experiencing the Di2 cable/s inside the frame rattling/slapping on bumps and also the shift levers rattling.
Don't seem widespread issues (so far).

dude18

Postby dude18 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 am

Updates after a little more than one month with the bike:

I really like the upgrade from aluminium to carbon frame. Lighter, slightly smoother, feels more responsive to handling. The internal cable routing is very pleasant to the eyes. So far I haven't had any rattling problems some posters have mentioned before. Integrated speed/cadence sensor in the seatstay is a great idea.

Ultegra Di2 is great. That is when everything works as intended. The shifts are crisp, fast and smooth. Even on full load, standing on hills, the di2 shifts wonderfully. The auto trimming feature means only one press of the gear lever is needed. No more adjusting the front derailleur. Allows me to focus more on the pedalling part if bike riding.
Dont forget to regularly charge the battery, regardless of the battery level indicator. Mine went from 50% to flat on a ride. Lucky it was as the end of the ride. I was stuck in whatever gear it was at the front. I could still shift the rear derailleur.
During the BUPA AtB, I hit a pothole really hard on a descent and the rear derailleur went into crash protection mode and would not shift. So I finished the 60 remaining km on a dualie (front gears only). I am going to take the bike to the shop this week and see what the problem is. I tried resetting the system as described in the manual. The gears shift in all the cogs during the self test but still does not respond to presses on the shifter.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am

i had a shifting problem when mine was new, it was the cables not pushed into the shifters all the way, just peel back the hood and check they are pushed home all the way and not being pulled out by the bar tape. i pushed them back in hard and then used some electrical tape to hold them in and then put the bar tape back over the top..

i charge my battery every 600-700km which is around once a month at the moment

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 am

Not the Advanced but the Defy Advanced 2013 here... I get a knocking type sound, I am riding a M and don't have massive legs with the seat post sittign at ~130. I have worked out that the knocking is the seat post knocking around a little at the bottom inside the bike. I will trim it down with a carbon saw at some point.

Mine with different wheels, changed seat and bar tape to black based stuff - http://drnick.com.au/pics/quickpicdefy1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Run a mix of wheels over time (when the wife does not see what I am buying ;) ). Back on to the OEM wheels for now but trying to work out what set to run all of the time. Might go C24's.

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

dale79

Postby dale79 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:33 am

my seat has less than 70mm inside the tube on a large frame and i get no knocks at all... so maybe you are right and need to trim the seat post a little bit.. :) short ass.. :lol:

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 am

Hahahaha, smart ass Dale!

176cm, but have short legs, long top body. And big feet for my height. ;) ;)

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Sydguy wrote:Anyone getting any 'rattling' noise out of their TCR 0? I bounce the bike with 120 psi and I get nothing.

Hit a bump at speed, say 40 km/h, something does rattle. In case it is cable slap I have put little covers on the cables.

Also stopped twice on commute to see if I could detect anything loose - nothing. The battery is on firmly, locked in.

Could it just be the chain/rear mec? Maybe it will be gone tomorrow and it was cable...

If anyone has experienced this let me know. I'd rather not have something come flying off at speed! :D

Set two PR's on the way to work, that was taking it easy with the new rig. It is heavier than the non Di2 Ultegra TCR but damn it feels fast!

You can fly up and down gears at full pelt with no issues.

JM

I get the same rattle sometimes and I think its a combination of the rear deraileur and the chain due to not having a cable with tension to hold it tight. Never caused any ghost shifts or any problems though.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:17 pm

dude18 wrote:Updates after a little more than one month with the bike:

I really like the upgrade from aluminium to carbon frame. Lighter, slightly smoother, feels more responsive to handling. The internal cable routing is very pleasant to the eyes. So far I haven't had any rattling problems some posters have mentioned before. Integrated speed/cadence sensor in the seatstay is a great idea.

Ultegra Di2 is great. That is when everything works as intended. The shifts are crisp, fast and smooth. Even on full load, standing on hills, the di2 shifts wonderfully. The auto trimming feature means only one press of the gear lever is needed. No more adjusting the front derailleur. Allows me to focus more on the pedalling part if bike riding.
Dont forget to regularly charge the battery, regardless of the battery level indicator. Mine went from 50% to flat on a ride. Lucky it was as the end of the ride. I was stuck in whatever gear it was at the front. I could still shift the rear derailleur.
During the BUPA AtB, I hit a pothole really hard on a descent and the rear derailleur went into crash protection mode and would not shift. So I finished the 60 remaining km on a dualie (front gears only). I am going to take the bike to the shop this week and see what the problem is. I tried resetting the system as described in the manual. The gears shift in all the cogs during the self test but still does not respond to presses on the shifter.

I think a light stays on on the junction box when it goes to crash protection. I've dropped my bike on the derailleur side and bent the hanger and it still didnt go into crash mode.

dude18

Postby dude18 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Just got a call from my LBS. They say the wire was not properly plugged into the right shifter. It was probably dislodged when I hit the pothole. Going to pick up the TCR now.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:22 am

yeh thats the excuse...

mine was the same lol right hand shifter..