Freo Tweed Run 2012

hiflange

Freo Tweed Run 2012

Postby hiflange » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:00 am

Fremantle Tweed Run is on again
Sunday Nov 4th at 10AM on the Esplanade sadly the the attractive poster is a triumph of style over substance - ignore it - it says Sat 4th at 8AM :roll:

http://www.facebook.com/events/411822345545739/

eldavo

Re: Freo Tweed Run 2012

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Need to get there at 8am to have your chai skinny latte babycino in time before race start :)

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Rob, if you are going what bike will you be on? I might have 4 speeds of campagnolo to choose from if i can get the derailleur working acceptably.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Rotrax Vel de Hiv track framed SS coastie. My better half will be on a 70's step through malvern star. Mini me will be on a contemporary kids bike.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

The updated poster with correct times, I didn't realise it finished at a coffee festival *facepalm* =D

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 am

Hoping to peddle down and take a few photos. Don't really have a suitable bike and too busy/lazy to arrange clothing but I've been keen to check out the event.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Easy for us to think that colour has only been around since Technicolor the way we view the past in black and white and sepia makes us think everything was grey and drab without thinking about it.

Notice the fashion paintings and illustrations are more true to life than the photos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920s_in_fashion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought this series was stunning: Photographer to the Tsar: Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So not afraid of colour, I gave my potential Tweed ride it's first real test today on 20km commute, child seat and pegs will have a full ride test Friday morning by daughter. I've sat on the seat and can confirm dinkies are possible, but give you a circus monkey on bike feeling.

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Impressive. Color is not my cup of tea, but the bike is very nice. Custom or off the rack?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Did you say cup of tea? The Lipton bike:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/forrestf ... 1008501744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... Y014-4.jpg

Mine is off the shelf, a bit removed and a bit added for commuting test. I rode it again today since it was so much fun, and <20% (8min) longer trip home with single speed, which I was really impressed with, but not too surprised given the number of stoppages on the northern 20km of PSP from the CBD that lower top speeds. Went for a weekly Joe's cake kitchen visit and stopped by the office for a photo ;)

On topic, wardrobe for the day is slowly progressing, trying to keep it cool anticipating a hot day, I'd be happy to ride it Hillarys to Freo (pending family work shifts don't kill the whole day).
If anyone is going to the Tweed Run down the coast. 10am target with a 20kph pace including stoppages.
<8:30am departure from Hillarys is anyone interested?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:47 pm

In promoting it to wife found this guy's blog of the 2011 tweed run by google chance that I've come across before when looking at bakfiets (box bikes).

http://sustainaburb.blogspot.com.au/201 ... arade.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rontherigger

Postby rontherigger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi Eldavo.
Nice bike you have there, a Basman? I have seen one similar in the new shop in Freo in the Paddy Troy Mall opp Myers.
I'm always cruising around Freo on the weekends and have posted a meet for 12pm at the Esplanade Hotel that is very slow taking off, but that's ok as I also ride with a bunch of Cruisers on Fri nights at Sth Perth which has some very unique rides, usually about 12 - 20 of us take off at 8 pm crn of Berwick and Canning Hwy (McDonalds carpark).
Keen to catch up for a ride somewhere when suitable, where do you normally start from?

Don't mean to take up your space Rob, I'll keen to go in the Tweed run aswell

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi Ron, I read the cruiser sub-forum about the Friday night rides, usually can't make the time. If a free night does pop up for me I'll PM to check if it's on. Ride the Basman into work Friday and work late then go straight to the ride to the western halfway and continue north home from there. Very nice night riding in the warmer weather coming on now.

I've got some tweed from late grandfather at my parents so hopefully just a little tweed and a lot more cooler stuff if we end up with a 35degC on the day. Could all be in vain for me if wife is still booked to work unless I can get folks to babysit, but will be prepared in any case and hope for some cool weather.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:46 pm

there's an update on the Tweed Run on Dismantle's Facebook page (not reflected on the Freo Tweed Run fb page tho). Seems the ride will proceed at 1pm, rain or shine, (not at the previously advertised times of 8am or 10am!) Looks as if they were planning to have a 3 hour picnic prior to the ride instead of after it like last year, a shame that wasn't made clear earlier.

All in all I'm a bit sad that Dismantle have made a hash of their communication about the event this year; two separate facebook pages, wrong date and time advertised, and no mention of when the actual ride was to start - I had just assumed it would be shortly after the 10am muster.

I'll still be going unless it's ridiculous, so see you all there

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:43 pm

The weather is nail in coffin for me this time, hopefully clears for the 1pm brave. Hope it is on next year.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Last year it was close to being too hot. Maybe 2014 will be just right. We shouldn't let a little bit of moisture put us off though..

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Considering the weather and organisational issues it went well today. Hailed about 40 minutes prior to the ride but it was sunny, if windy and cold, for the ride itself. I reckon there would have been about 150 riders. The whole thing fizzled out a bit at the end. One moment we're all riding along, the next it's "we're stopping here" and a few makeshift bike racks were strewn about. There was some promise of Freo Tweed being a part of the Coffee Festival, it wasn't integrated with it at all as far as I could see.

This is Lloyd (right) aka metalrideroz on a tip find with a four speed Campag setup riding with Tim who's on his 1920's Armstrong

The lady at the front of this pic was riding a beautiful step through 1930's Super Elliott with original and immaculate paint.

Easy Rider was pedalling a cruiser with back tyre so wide the bike didn't need a side stand, just stayed upright on it's own when he stepped off, note top "tube" made of chain. Great to see so many kids tweeding it up.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 am

Non-cyclist view of the Tweed Run - Freo's View

Andrew

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Here's a late ride report and photos. Maybe I should buy a digital camera, or not.

Despite a wet and windy start to the morning the weather cleared up in time for the start of the ride. In time means 5 minutes before.
Rob was there. A flattering photo this is not.
That's a hospital in the background but (most) fremantle drivers are encouraging and positive so no one paid a visit.
Finish at the coffee festival. I prefer decaf.

Since the weather still wasn't great the streets were somewhat deserted and I went for a nice post-ride ride along the docks.

My bicycle for the day. Super laid back seat tube angle? No, it's just as fast as the torpedo it's leaning against and thats standing still!
Since I didn't get a photo of any dutch bikes here's a photo of the dutch ship Duyfken

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi

Dismantle have tweeted that they are considering a Tweed Run in March 2013. If this interests you, they would like you to show your interest by liking the post on their Facebook page.

Cheers
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:...by liking the post on their Facebook page.
Facebook page? Damn'd hipsters.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:13 pm

If they really want to make the ride suitable for tweed it should be run in June/July.
It would make a lot more sense getting rugged up in wool during our winter.

cheers
Sambo