Ride to Conquer Cancer

Dobo

Ride to Conquer Cancer

Postby Dobo » Fri May 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi Guys & Gals

Now I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer event in October but I figured I'd ask for the support of fellow riders out there.

I will be participating in the Ride to Conquer Cancer which will take place on October 20-21 2012. It is a 200km+ ride over 2 days through the WA countryside in an effort to raise money to help fight the battle against Cancer. After losing two family members to cancer and helping my Dad cope with bladder cancer over the last 25 years, this cause holds a special significance for me as I know it does for many others who have been affected by cancer at some point in their lives. It will be greatly appreciated if I could count on your sponsorship for this epic event. Just simply click on the link at the bottom of this email which will take you directly to my home page, then just click the "Donate Online Now" button and the rest is simple.

Thanks you in advance for your generous support.
http://www.conquercancer.org.au/site/TR ... lbadge2012

Cheers
Paul
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

just4tehhalibut

Re: Ride to Conquer Cancer

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 am

Came across this event this Saturday while riding down Paterson Rd a few km out from Pinjarra. Apparently the course has been changed, the original course would have had the 1200 riders camping in Mandurah somewhere, now it's Pinjarra. One of the riders I passed asked how far it was to Mandurah.

In Mandurah itself there have been signs placed about for road closures on Sunday, possibly this is for the event coming through. Either way they're heading back to Perth today and not by the way that they came down. So be aware. Apart from that it'll be good weather for all. The route details as published are http://pr12.conquercancer.org.au/site/P ... dule_rider and obviously this'll only give you a hint that they may be coming up the coast once they get to Mandurah then along Marmion St from Freo back to Perth.

PS their jerseys worked well, I recognised the riders coming down Corio Rd half a km ahead.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:20 am

Hi

The road closures here in Mandurah today are for the 70.3 Half Ironman event also on.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:12 am

From The West:
Cyclists rack up $4.6m for cancer
More than $4.6 million raised by cyclists at the weekend's inaugural Sunsuper Ride to Conquer Cancer will benefit one of Perth's leading medical research groups.

On Saturday 1219 cyclists set out for a 200km, two-day ride, from McCallum Park to Pinjarra, where they camped overnight, and back.

WA Institute for Medical Research director Peter Klinken, who got on a bicycle for the first time in 50 years to train for the ride, said the money raised would be "transsformative" for the centre - which investigates genetic and environmental causes for diseases. Mr Klinken said one in two Australians would be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime and the illness would claim 43,000 people this year.

The fundraising total was "simply awesome", and funds were already being put to use for ground-breaking cancer research.

We did a Perth to Bunbury via Pinjarra on Saturday. It was nice to have traffic staff stopping traffic in Pinjarra to allow us through, even though we weren't part of the Cancer Ride, and we were potentially 1 hour in front of the Cancer ride.

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 pm

I did this ride on the weekend and I have to say that it was absolutley fantastic :D We rode 96 Kms down to Pinjarra from Vic Park forshore at a lesurley pace anjoying the scenery. The overnight camp at pinjarra was excellent with great food drink enetrtainement and the company of 1200 other riders all there for the same reason...to raise money to help fight cancer! and I was very proud to be a part of this history making event. The crew and velunteers were fantastic and I take my hat off to them for all of their hard work they put in to get the event ready and help make it a complete success. I rode with team of great people and we had a blast and am looking forward to doing it again next year.

Dobo :D :D :D
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 am

Not sure I can get excited about this sort of camping ...

Source: Perth Cyclist

This is my kind of camping :)

Perth Cyclist also has a video of the ride for those so interested ...

Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:06 am

Considering that Pinjarra had Tassie Devils as well as the usual species of Bogan and Drop Bear running loose the cluster camping is simply safety in numbers. Let the penquins on the outside get eaten first. There were other animals about, I saw the single-speeders gathered in a pack down by the river; I guess that it was the sort of route where a fixie or SS wouldn't be too harmful to ride.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 am

the ride was always going to be to Pinjarra - they were a bit foggy on the route details until a couple of weeks before though - mainly because they didn't want people training on some of the roads they had selected...

I must say though, the camp was not my favorite part of the day - we got in at 12.30 and aside from a massage or a yoga class there wasn't anything happening until 4.30... then there was the proximity to our neighbours whilst sleeping. They left the oval lights on all night too. They gave us an eye mask and ear plugs, but as I really dislike using them it wasn't that fun.

Some people who did the ride lived in Mandurah, so they went home for the night, others stayed in a local hotel ;) ideas for next year for people who don't like the idea of camp.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:54 pm

The corner marshals who kept trying to wave to me to come further down the road and turn to where the camp was (I went to Subway instead) had moved by 4pm, I'd guess that they had swung back to camp and changed roles. For only 1200 riders and a few busy roads to cross they'd have a few volunteers doing double duties, as well as trying to keep vollie numbers limited.
Not sure if many in Pinjarra knew of the event coming, there were cafes shut that should have known of the extra business, the Coles staff eventually figured out from all the lycra that something was on. But then a lot of motorists along Paterson Rd were bipping us and doing friendly waves before we got mixed up in the course and riders, or maybe that was just the signage working for us. So, unclear. In the Great Vic rides run by Bike Vic the towns vie to have riders camp there and many nights we had the towns provide entertainment, cafes and shops were open late, maybe even fireworks a few times.
The next time Bike Vic does one of their events down the Great Ocean Rd I want to be there, this is a popular Great Vic route and gets 5000-8000 riders plus vollie entourage. Many happy campers although the queue for the loo might be a bit much.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 am

The last riders were in camp by 3.30pm, no further need for marshals.

Not sure many people went into town - there was a bar on the oval and dinner was provided at about 4.30.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:07 am

Also, if you want to do the Great Ocean Road, how about Amy Gilett's Gran Fondo in Sept? ;)