Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

master6

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Todays ride was marred by a heavy crash descending Cole Hill on the way back to Richmond.
BDD has been to the hospital and reports that Graeme and Scott have been cleared of any serious injury, but have suffered some rather nasty wounds and abrasions. Eric regained consciousness prior to arrival of the ambulance, and was speaking to helpers coherently. He will remain in hospital while the usual tests following head injuries are carried out. All three riders have had a high speed accident on the descent of Cole Hill, and we are fortunate that there appears to be reason for optimism about their recoveries at this stage. Best wishes to them.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:53 pm

A further report from BDD at the hospital indicates that Eric appears to have suffered a broken collarbone , in addition to head injuries. Precautionary tests are proceeding.
Graeme will be undergoing surgery to rectify wounds to his arm.
Scott is up and about, sore, and likely to get more sore as the hours pass.
Thankfully, there is strong reason for optimism about recovery.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Bugger! I was hoping that this report would not be about any BNA regulars.

Hope all involved make a speedy recovery...best wishes guys.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:03 am

I think we all hope they make a speedy recovery. Ours was one of a few crashes around Hobart this week and it is a sombre reminder that we have a down side for all the enjoyment that we get from our pursuit. It is unfortunate that the Mercury was able to misrepresent the realities to make a story. The crash occurred 10kms south of Colebrook and not north. A "roadside pile-up" is a bit different to three riders crashing while on the road. Perhaps it was an effort to bring to mind the crashes we see in big bunches on TV.

No doubt we will discuss the outcomes prior to the RBWR next week and reflect on what has happened. I have been riding with (mostly chasing) olemanec for fifteen years or more and we have both had our share of crashes in that time - but nothing quite as serious as this one. Lets all collectively cross our fingers and hope for his full recovery.

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:30 am

[quote="BenevolantDictatorD"]we all hope they make a speedy recovery/quote]

Motioned carried.

I notice that the Mercury electronic report brought to us by Ron (above) is different in some detail to that printed.
A side issue to this sad event, and minor by comparison, is that two teams in the coming Freycenet Challenge are in difficulty due to their road riders injuries.
In response to a couple of phone calls received in relation to this aspect, I have been freely suggesting names, and you, dear reader, were probably one of them.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Latest update and trying to respect as much privacy as possible. I have just visited olemanec and felt better having done so. I am no medical person and I was unsure of what to expect of someone with a fractured skull but I was pleasantly surprised. That's not to say Ec is ready to enter a beauty pageant but he is out of the neck brace and is now allowed to eat. He has lots of lumps, bumps and cracked bones but was in his normal positive frame of mind. He is hopeful that the bike is all right but is not expecing to make the start line for the worlds this year. I would be overly hopeful to suggest all is good as he clearly has a long way to go but it was reassuring to chat with him. If you are in the neighbourhood of the Royal I'm sure he would appreciate a visit.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Its Monday and time to assess the prospects for this week's version of the RBWR.

So, looking ahead - it should be a nice day with a bit of a "breeze" coming out of the west. The Baskerville circuit is looking likely - with Grasstree first - and a tail breeze for the last 15kms.

And, looking back - Olemanec is expecting to be home tomorrow. He had hoped it would be today but a bit of caution from the medicos caused the delay. That is wonderful and positive news and probably glosses over the various cracked and broken bones, the bruising, swelling, ongoing headaches and multiple bits of skin off everywhere. Scott is finding new bruises each day and still has the bike at the LBS being assessed - a cracked frame was mentioned in hushed tones :( I haven't heard from GP since Friday. I hope he is well.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Another glorious day at Richmond saw sixteen eager riders take on the Baskerville circuit - well maybe there were a few grumbles of dissent but they were duly ignored. A conspicuous absence of the Freycinet riders suggests they are tapering ahead of the challenge this weekend - good luck all.

This is a good course in the windy weather with lots of shelter heading north west and lost of tail winds heading back. As expected the bunch strung itself out on a regular basis so there was lots of regrouping as necessary. Stuey seemed to be the one in front at the top of most of the hills - not that I was near the front at any stage. And to top it off Stuey stomped on the pedals to take the sprint as well.

The coffee conversation went longer than usual with the chatting lasting nearly as long as the ride did - ah the serenity.

StueyClaremont

Postby StueyClaremont » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:19 pm

A lovely ride for sure.

I can only lay claim to being first to the top of Grasstree though, I was second or third or there about over the rest.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:10 am

StueyClaremont wrote:A lovely ride for sure.

I can only lay claim to being first to the top of Grasstree though, I was second or third or there about over the rest.
Stuey, I see that you are new here :D

There is something you need to understand:-

"We dont tolerate honesty or humility!" Such behaviour destroys good yarns.

:) :) :)

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Another successful RBWR run and won. We had 17 winners out there today using four different courses starting at five different times and all finishing at around the same time. The weather was a little cool to start with and seemed to be a little warm by the time we got to the top of Brinktop.

The route that most took was an out and back to Fingerpost as a warm up followed by a loop of Brinktop and Fingerpost for the normal 60 odd kms journey. The group wasn't strung out too often and the pace was slow enough for me to be on the front every now and then 8) Apart from the normal grumbles about any course that has a hill in it this was a reasonably good bunch ride course.

Coffee chat was quick this week with various recountings of exploits at Freycinet at the weekend. Unlike the RBWR where everyone is a winner it seems that only a few shared the honours in Coles Bay.

Rumour has it that Back Tea Tree is now back in action so a jaunt along there is looking the goods for next week.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:55 pm

I hereby apply for leave on Wednesday. Reason is very loosely cycling related, in that the shed I am building might house some cycling gear, and I have the Building Surveyor inspecting foundation preparations some time noon plus on Wednesday. I have had reports that chocolates work wonders at Sorell Council, however I have no tips on the likes of Building Surveyors.
Suggestions will be most welcome :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Another RBWR run and won. We had 16 winners out there today with three in the elite and 13 in the main bunch. Another first time rider came out for what was described to him as "an easy ride". That's not what he was calling it by the finish!!

Following on from last week's loop ride we had another loopy ride - the 8 Tree Road ride. Richmond, Grass Tree Hill Road, Back Tea Tree Road, Tea Tree Road, Middle Tea Tree Road, Grass Tree Hill Road, Back Tea Tree Road, Tea Tree Road, Middle Tea Tree Road, Richmond. There was a bit of a breeze out there so the main bunch stuck together - mostly - with a lot of jockeying for second wheels. The elite bunch snuck off early and were only rounded up towards the end. The last 13kms with a howling tail breeze spread the bunch and had some tongues hanging out. The rest of us just enjoyed the wind assistance.

Coffee chat was good as always. Olemanec turned up to pick up his bike which appeared in remarkable condition given the number of broken and cracked bone he has. It will be a couple of months before he gets mobile again - Scott and Graeme are back riding and still recovering.

Where to next week - who knows - no doubt Master6 will have some suggestions for when he returns from building activities.

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Another good ride this morning. If not slightly taxed from Sunday and yesterdays crash. Next week - back to Bradmarsh, great road, scenery and and a all round good route!

skull

Postby skull » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:48 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Another good ride this morning. If not slightly taxed from Sunday and yesterdays crash. Next week - back to Bradmarsh, great road, scenery and and a all round good route!
I see a rather impressive KOM was claimed by a certain rider in the bunch today. Good effort to say the least.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm

And there we were - leaving the Richmond Bakery car park at 9am sharp - when the cry went out - "but where is Master6" :shock:

A clear and concise response was given and echoed - it is 9:00:00.000 and we are leaving. :P

Seventeen winners headed up the road at three different times. The elite bunch of two made it nearly to the top of Water Tower Hill before being caught by 14 in the main bunch and the combined pack tootled along through Brighton (first puncture) and then up Broadmarsh Road towards Black Brush Road (second puncture) where a turn was made and home we went. After minimal discussion we had decided not to venture along the dirt Black Brush Road until we can send a scout to determine its current state. Updates later.

No reports were given about the trip home in the main pack and I wasn't there to keep track. :cry: The usual issues of there being five sprint winners depending on who was in front at particular points meant lots of peple were happy.

And the third bunch - saw Denis the Younger heading out to Colebrook on his own. No one waits at RBWR. :mrgreen:

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Good to see that the usual high standards are being maintained.
ie
leaving at the nanosecond
ignoring of latecomers
"flexibility" of finish line location(s)

As in sideshow alley, "every player wins a prize!"

Dont you love it? There has never been a drug test failed on the RBWR. :D

Like to share a secret with you;
regarding syringes:-
I've used a few, and find that the 10ml item is easiest to handle one handed;
3ml is the optimum dose
any more and you will find excessive splatter onto the rear rim.
What to use?
Any grade engine oil will just love your chain :)

Back strain is improving, so I plan to rejoin the class of RBWR next week.

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:41 am

As long as there is ampal warning of said dirt road s that the adequate wheels can be put under me.
A good piece of dirt road is always fun. Lets call the ride the Richmond Roubaix ride!
Everyone should ensure that their tires are still okay and that they have at least one spare tube. Highly reccommend C02 to inflate....
A good ride in reasonbly warm conditions, at 19degs until the weather turned. :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:36 am

Good thinking FL. You are not just a pretty face :D

I have just the course for you; did it two weeks ago on the bike,

Richmond, Brinktop, Penna rd, Shark Point Rd,Sorell, Iron Creek, Forcett, left onto dirt at Delmore Rd, Nugent Rd, back to bitumen for rest of ride to Sorell, Tasman Hwy, Fingerpost Rd, Richmond. About 60km course.

Pretty good surface, just like the roads we raced on in the pre drug era! Well, probably not pre drug, however I am talking 50's and 60's.

Very nice scenery. :)

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Another Wednesday. Another RBWR run and won. Fourteen winners headed out on a variety of courses at a variety of times and a good time was had by most. Because it is Richmond the impending rain heard the church bells chime and promptly stopped all action for the duration. The shower whilst people assembled for the start sort of put off one of the winners but the rest headed out anyway. The planned Baskerville circuit was quickly revised to a Tea Tree circuit just in case the weather didn't hold. The pace in the pack was remarkably sensible until the turn. Much time was spent chatting and catching up on recent travels and weekend rides. Welcome back to Rob and PMM Man after sojournes to Egypt and surrounds.

And then we turned. There were a few feeble attempts at regrouping on the way home but only abut 8 of the bunch got back to gether with others taking their time - or shortcuts as necessary. BB took off about 1km out to contest the sprint for second. His blistering pace took him through all the potential finishing lines and he wasn't caught until the car park. Bravo Brian - nice second. And the winner was - T - with a lone break away of about 18kms to cross the line with kilometres to spare.

Coffee was supped in bright sunshine with visitors and non-starters swelling numbers considerably. Rumour might suggst that Cyclone Sam returns next week so watch out for new Strava records being set at the RBWR. :?

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:22 am

I look forward to returning.......I had to do with a morning ride instead as my better half had to have day surgery....although I tried to strong arm the surgeon around the RBWR he wouldnt listen!

I beleve I maybe a certain starter for the Boxin Day Orford Annual run!

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:17 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote: I maybe a certain starter for the Boxin Day Orford Annual run!
Is this a partial, or full, oxymoron?

We eagerly await your further advice Rob. :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Another Wednesday - another example of Richmond-perfect weather. Beautiful. Lots of people turned up. Not too sure how many but lots.

A bit of a sad story to start with having another or our riders - StueyClaremont - in hospital following a crash on Sunday. This is another serious one with his handlebar puncturing the abdomen and doing a bit of damage. Sombre news to start any ride.

Having worked through that we followed the usual tradition of the RBWR by heading off in different directions at different times and all rattled back - plus extras - for coffee around the same time.

The course for most for today was out along Middle Tea Tree Road paying special heed to pointing and shouting about the numerous potholes that now dot the lower valley road. That was fun! A regroup and over water tower down to Colebrook Road. Another regroup and off up to the top of Cole Hill for the turn around. The "usual" for this course then ensued with an amble pace turning into a moderate pace becoming a solid pace becoming just plain fast. The strung out and split up bunch covered many kilometers by the finish and lots of people won their versions of the sprints.

Special mention to the idiot in the red Skyline who buzzed many of our riders. :evil: The number plate was well read 8) - I can see anything that is about 200mm in front of my nose :shock: - and the details were transferred to our friendly police :mrgreen: - to find the car should have been a green Barina! :cry:

Coffee chat was subdued but it did take four tables to fit us all around. With the weather getting even better in Richmond the numbers should continue to grow. Take care out there.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:01 pm

I am applying for sick leave from tomorrows extravaganza. Any commedations for a good physiotherapist or acupuncturist to help sort out a mystery back problem will be appreciated.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:58 pm

16 winners out there today in atypical Richmond weather.

We left Rod in the car park getting dressed as we left at 9:00:00.000 He wasn't seen again. Hope he's all right.

The course today was PMM man's favouite - the Baskerville circuit with the trip over water tower first. Off we headed in two bunches with gloomy skies and the occasional suggestion that a shower or two might eventuate. We challenged the weather gods by heading straight into the oncoming clouds and called their bluff. A beautiful day then ensued. The route was well understood. The roads well travelled. The bunch rested, humming along and communicating well. Hmmm. Somehow we took a wrong turn and ended up heading onto the new Brighton bypass with the next off ramp way off in the far distance. The bunch handled it well - no recriminations - much pointing of fingers at potential outs - and an eventual decision to make the ride part cyclocross as we traversed a paddock and jumped/climbed a fence. Yet another first for the RBWR! How many more can we possibly have?

The traverse across the paddock took a click out of the distance for the day but gave us plenty of discussion topics for the coffee at the end of the ride. Brian brought out his three medals from the weekend's AVCC nationals along with the stories for each. Well done Brian.