Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

warthog1

Re: helmet vs. no helmet?

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:52 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:What, funny looking head or helmet :?:
Must be the helmet because as you have the good idea to hide your identity, I don't know what you look like. :)
warthog1 wrote:I reckon TLL is right as an aero helmet correctly worn should smooth the air flow off the back of the scone.
Then again my funny looking, clapped between two bricks head, has a pretty small frontal area, so I don't know. Plus look at those non pointy helmets Sky were wearing at the tdf this year :?
I didn't bother to watch too much of the TdF this year as it was so boring. The Sky train made it so. So I only watched it when I was on night shifts. I think I missed the helmets. Got a pic?

Edit:
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/k ... ook-33310/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting...
I read that article looking for that pic you posted;

The KASK Crono TT differs from this design by lopping off the tail (this isn't completely new – Chris Boardman did the fastest ever Tour de France prologue in 1994 in a stubby helmet).

According to the designers, who've tested it extensively in a wind tunnel, this means it performs better than a standard teardrop when the wind is coming from varying directions – as is typically the case on the road

Looks better than the alien specials too :)

Edit; look at that photo il padrone put up, bloody uci and their stupid 5cm rule again. Sitting on the soft part of your perineum for a 50+km tt cant be good for you.Nothing to do with helmets but I couldn't help having a rant
Last edited by warthog1 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

LM324

Postby LM324 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:53 pm

what about this aero head, all he needs is to shave his hair... :D

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:01 pm

il padrone wrote:Image
Thanks for the pics. :)

One day the UCI will figure out a way of allowing people doing ITTs to actually be able to sit on the saddle. :roll:

Edit:
warthog1 wrote:Looks better than the alien specials too :)
And within your (very high) price range. :P
warthog1 wrote:Edit; look at that photo il padrone put up, bloody uci and their stupid 5cm rule again. Sitting on the soft part of your perineum for a 50+km tt cant be good for you.Nothing to do with helmets but I couldn't help having a rant
Agree. You beat me to it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:33 pm

That's probably a problem with saddle sponsorship... Running an adamo ism means sitting on the nose is fairly comfortable for an hour or so... but UCI may try and stamp them out one day!.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:54 am

Saw this thread, and like everyone else thought 'groan, not another #$(AT)%(AT)# helmet thread'

But I've gotta admit. It's been an awesome thread so far. Watermelon man with goggles takes the cake thus far :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:05 am

How about trying the Edelrid Madillo? It folds up! That's gotta be more aero...

Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 am

toolonglegs wrote:No helmet and shaved head is more aero... Don't forget the skin suit and bootie covers ;-)
Why not just fully naked (well, maybe a G-string thing for modesty)? That way you get the full aero effect PLUS you lose the weight of all that lycra, not to mention the Cd reduction.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 am

Alternatively....

Image Image
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 am

greyhoundtom wrote:and keep your mouth shut :mrgreen:
Up yours Lance.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 pm

toolonglegs wrote:That's probably a problem with saddle sponsorship... Running an adamo ism means sitting on the nose is fairly comfortable for an hour or so... but UCI may try and stamp them out one day!.
I had a brief go of one and found it too wide for me. I have got an slr t1 that I have cut down and run as far forward as possible and I can do an hour race just. Its more the training in that position that hurts.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:That's probably a problem with saddle sponsorship... Running an adamo ism means sitting on the nose is fairly comfortable for an hour or so... but UCI may try and stamp them out one day!.
I had a brief go of one and found it too wide for me. I have got an slr t1 that I have cut down and run as far forward as possible and I can do an hour race just. Its more the training in that position that hurts.
I only use it on my tt bike, I only do hard efforts on that bike so only ever sit on the nose. I don't find sitting on the saddle like you would a normal roadie saddle very comfortable at all... But in the extreme position I find it ok. Sitting on the nose of a normal saddle isn't good for the bits :-) .

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:12 pm

toolonglegs wrote: I only use it on my tt bike, I only do hard efforts on that bike so only ever sit on the nose. I don't find sitting on the saddle like you would a normal roadie saddle very comfortable at all... But in the extreme position I find it ok. Sitting on the nose of a normal saddle isn't good for the bits :-) .
I only rode another persons tt bike with one on and the seat was a bit high anyway. My slr t1 has a wide flat well padded nose so it's better than a normal saddle but still not that good for the bits as you say.
I dont really ride it anymore as there are very few tts run where I've moved to, which is a pity as I've got a very lame sprint.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Nobody wrote:And within your (very high) price range. :P
The budget has a very high deficit now after the last bike, and the ministers patience is at an end. :oops:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:42 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Running an adamo ism means sitting on the nose is fairly comfortable for an hour or so... but UCI may try and stamp them out one day!.
toolonglegs wrote:I only use it on my tt bike, I only do hard efforts on that bike so only ever sit on the nose. I don't find sitting on the saddle like you would a normal roadie saddle very comfortable at all...
ISM Adamo

Ooooff! Pelvic stretching device :( :shock: Something from dungeons of the Marquis de Sade :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Yeah they are a weird looking thing... I think 50% of the saddle is only there for the rules as you really only sit on the very nose of the thing in a tt. Doesn't really connect with your normal sit bones but does connect with something boney :lol: ... takes all the pressure off the perineum soft bits though which is nice!.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Traditional Australian Head Protection.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm

This is becoming more of a comedy than a discussion :D :lol:
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31