Help for what to train on

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Help for what to train on

Postby sb944 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:09 pm

I didn't want to derail a different thread, but have a question about performance training. I'm basically commuting on a road bike, and using strava as a benchmark for results, and today I took 4 popular strava segments I do often:
1. On a steep 1km climb, I'm in the top 5%
2. Very steep 300m climb top 16% (and puffing like crazy)
3. 4km slight uphill top 16%
4. 4km slight downhill top 25% (same route going the other way).

I mix up my rides quite a bit already, some slower "recovery" type rides, some flat out, some aiming to get a good segment or 2. So I was going to start doing a few hill repeats on the Friday trip home, to build up more power, as I have a couple of days to recover after that. However, I'd prefer to improve as a rider, and it's obvious now I'm a long way worse at long flats than I am at climbing.

Do I continue with my plan to do hill repeats, or should I focus on the biggest problem first, and how would I do that? It's up to about 25km each way, 5 days a week.
sb944

by BNA » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:22 pm

BNA

Re: Help for what to train on

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:22 pm

As always it depends ... But short hill repeats are usually the final touches on building the engine... Once a week would be fine but I would be concentrating on longer efforts to start with... Google FTP ( functional threshold power ), SST ( sweet spot training ) & Tempo workouts.
Don't google Base training :-p or JRA ( just riding around ).
toolonglegs

Re: Help for what to train on

Postby sb944 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks, that actually helped a lot. Any good books, videos, software, etc about all this would also be good to know about, as I have it as one of my goals this month to read a good bike book to help with my training.

For now, I'm going to pretty much mix up my training based on ideas from this website:
http://www.training4cyclists.com/threshold-power/

Really looking forward to grinding out a tonne of these.
sb944

Return to General discussion