Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:41 pm

I started at the front.....

Wasn't too bad......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Riggsbie wrote:I love the way kids are not 'conditioned' into thinking what a cycle should look like in the way adults are....
My daughter wants one too. She's 5 and knows what a velomobile is. It's encouraging when the boy over the road goes riding with us and we see someone rolling around Victoria Park racecourse. He asks "What's that?" and she replies "That's a velomobile!" "A what?" is the reply in quick retort. "A velomobile! Don't you know anything?"

Ahh, from the mouth of babes.

:mrgreen:

BTW, Anyone doing the TDU next year?
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:35 am

Riggsbie wrote:Oh yes.....I

It was a good experience !
Hi Riggsbie:

Saw you streaming out of Sorrento around 11.45 0r so, thanks for the wave. I was on the yellow 20-26 tadpole, just got going after helping a young lady replace a punctured tube...

A couple of Trisled velos seen quite a bit earlier - I think they do the 100 km from Sorrento.

Great ride, apart from the sandblasting along Beaconsfield Parade!

Cheers

Alan
Alan
BentCyclist

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 am

Hi Alan.....

It was good to see a few trikes out there, I saw a few Greenspeeds later on struggling into the wind at the end......I never saw the Rotovelo's, it would have been good to ride in a squadron of Velomobiles.......

I also saw a few Barchetta's too !!

I forgot about the sandblasting, it was quite intense....I was focused on getting out of the wind as quickly as possible and was motoring through those bits.....

@Roinik - sounds like you have a well educated daughter !!

The kids are the future !!

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Rode home with a bloke from work today talking about his experiences on the ATBIAD. He rode his DF together with an ex work colleague on his highracer. He was telling me that at one point they were caught at a red light behing a group of 3 on Pinarello DFs when a ute pulled up next to them. The passenger of the ute wound down the window and commented "I like your bike", at which one of the Pinarello riders piously turned around and said "thanks". The reply from the passenger seat was then "Not you ya (w)banker, the recumbent!" Dave, being partially deaf, didn't hear the conversation. Pity.

LMAO :lol:
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm

That is pure gold !

The Mango provokes quite interesting comments from the most unlikely car drivers/passengers......"fully sic mate !"

smoran

Postby smoran » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:38 pm

Just noticed that the Sinner factory in Groningen is right next door to a 'Sign-A-Rama'. https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=sinne ... 03,,2,1.79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Handy if you want to get custom decals on your Mango I think :-)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 pm

smoran wrote:Just noticed that the Sinner factory in Groningen is right next door to a 'Sign-A-Rama'. https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=sinne ... 03,,2,1.79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Handy if you want to get custom decals on your Mango I think :-)
How the hell did you find this ? Just (cyber)passing through the area ????

Just order one and be done with it will ya :mrgreen:

smoran

Postby smoran » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Just order one and be done with it will ya :mrgreen:
Then there would be two of them in the western suburbs! The big problem is I dont have approval from the CFO at home yet ...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:13 am

One year of living with a velomobile. A very nice video from the US.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:23 pm

That's Trey - he is just 17 and still goes to school can you believe it.

I assume his parents funded it but I don't actually know that. His is a full carbon fibre Mango too. That would be a lot of paper deliveries ....

The global velo market is expanding at a rapid rate albeit off a very small base. Annual sales of the Quest have doubled over the last 2 or 3 years despite the entrance of several new high profile models (Evo K, Milan SL etc). Sinner had to ramp up their production capability of the mango a year or 2 ago as well. Trisled are getting some good Kudos at the moment following their world velo speed record achievement and are in the process of developing a new Rotovelo with suspension. Maybe one day a company like Giant will mass produce decent quality velos at only a small premium to a similarly spec'ed road bike. Who knows perhaps its always going to be a niche market but it does seem to growing. If you are reading this now that is proof of the interest in velos moving more mainstream. I know I get a lot of overwhelmingly positive feedback everywhere I go - hell even bogans love em :-)

Anyway, I'm very happy with mine and don't regret the price i had to pay. I passed many bikes costing even more on the Brisbane to Gold Coast ride :mrgreen:

PS - On the bentrideronline.com site, they have a poll for the average age of velo owners. 67% of owners are over 50 !!! Trey is definitely an outlier.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Nice video. Noticed he was wearing one of Larry "The Diff's" tee shirts. Also the "Just Married" sign on the back of the car where the woman wanted a photo.

Wonder how he sat the kids for the 3 up? Have to be careful not to crack the glass.

Lucky lad and all carbon too.

Only a couple of very brief shots but other than David's Quest there was another velo that appeared to be made of coreflute.

John

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Interesting Article posted in the electric bikes forum.
Discusses E Velos.

John

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 35#p872235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:00 pm

The recumbent group from BrisbaneCyclist.com had a group ride this morning. There was a number of high racer style recumbents (eg Bachetta, flevobike etc), a Greenspeed trike, a few uprights, and of course 3 Mango velomobiles.

I met Nitramluap early and rode to the Nundah Crit track where we were meeting the others. Nitramluap led me via a new path past the Kangaroo Point cliffs, over the story bridge, through New Farm and onto the crit track. A nice ride and great to explore new paths and routes through the city.

We then met the other 'bent' riders and Burnt led us again on a new path out to Redcliffe where we had breakfast. This time I was following Burnt with a bit of tailwind at speeds in the high 40s, low 50s for an extended period.

Then on the return trip home, Nitramluap was in a bit of a hurry to get home, and I was a bit too, so we headed off at full pace. Nitramluap was riding like his wife was in labour!!!! I was really struggling to keep up but every time he started to get a little ahead he would have to slow for traffic and I'd catch back up. A testing ride for me but I managed to set 20 new PBs on strava segments along the way :-)

I got a panic call from my wife too which was hilarious. I installed a location tracker on her phone about a week ago so she can locate me when riding or coming home etc. turns out she tried it today for the first time, just as I was passing the hospital. She assumed I had been taken there by ambulance :-)

So a brilliant ride on a brilliant day in a brilliant machine. 120km all up for me. All part of "Living with a Velomobile" folks .... :mrgreen:

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Sounds like a great day out.
Wish i could have been there.
Was the tracker program Latitude?

We were playing with a Spot Tracker a few days back that a friend has bought for when they go off on tour.

John

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:12 pm

John Lewis wrote:Was the tracker program Latitude?
It was just the iPhone app "Find Friends"

burnt

Postby burnt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Should be some good video footage from Nitramluap who literally got in my face at times with the GoPro!! Looking forward to seeing this non-standard offering.

It was a great morning, the velos are just great fun, all the more so on mass! Its a pity you can't be over here for a few group rides John!

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
John Lewis wrote:Was the tracker program Latitude?
It was just the iPhone app "Find Friends"
Sounds similar to Google Latitude I have on my Android phone.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 pm

burnt wrote:Should be some good video footage from Nitramluap who literally got in my face at times with the GoPro!! Looking forward to seeing this non-standard offering.

It was a great morning, the velos are just great fun, all the more so on mass! Its a pity you can't be over here for a few group rides John!
Be there just as soon as I can get this molecular matter transmitter working.

John

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:11 am

Be there just as soon as I can get this molecular matter transmitter working.
So... It'll only transport matter?

Dent.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:41 pm

I love to visit this thread every now and then ;) great video looking forward to more vid from Nitraluap, he always seems to put the effort in to cut something good together 8)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Apparently my Mango is "born" hopefully to be delivered before the end of the year!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:23 am

Awesome news.....

Be prepared for a long wait so don't get upset if it does not arrive on time !

What have to ordered ? What spec ?

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Riggsbie wrote:What have to ordered ? What spec ?
All will be revealed in time :twisted:

Why should I be the only one waiting! :lol:
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:39 pm

I hope to see this on the paths of perth in 2013 :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810