Anyone looking for a retro bike?

cludence

Anyone looking for a retro bike?

Postby cludence » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:27 am

Hi,

I have several bikes here ranging from the 70's to 90's. Some single speed with coaster brake, others with gears. They would make great commuters or restoration projects. Obviously some need some work but I usually have spare parts here. Is anyone looking for one? I need to make some space as I am accumulating too many old bikes. I am in Sydney. Let me know if you are interested.

Karen.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:07 am

I think the transport would kill me, if the GLW didn't. I've got an old dragster project with a 3 speed Shimano rear wheel that doesn't have a shifter or cable, any advice would be very welcome, Shimano were hopeless :roll:

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:35 am

If you dont like shimano, I would go back to the good old sturmey archer three speed hub. If I come across a shifter I will let you know. I am also looking for one for a dragster I am restoring here. The cables and also the shifters I have seen on ebay but you are sometimes best to sit it out as people go nuts and pay ridiculous amounts for them. (unless you join auction sniper) If you want a speedo for it, easiest place to get one is pinch one of an old excercise bike. If you cant find one, let me know as people seem to have a habit of throwing out 30yr old exercise bikes up here and I have scored some nice speedos. If you need specifics on exactly which style of shifter was on your particular dragster, www.dragsterbikes.com is usually a good place to ask. If you need any other parts for it, let me know and I can keep an eye out. I have a friend in Melbourne who comes across dragsters and bits so I can ask him to keep an eye out.

Karen.

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:44 am

Are you able to show us some pictures?

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:51 am

There are quite a few. Nothing fancy though. Will get some pics today and put on photobucket.

Karen.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:11 am

Thanks Karen, I'll check it out. :) The hub had a three speed Shimano thumbshifter, I think it was indexed :? Hard to tell as the rust on it was thick as. :roll: Pity, as the hub cleaned up A1.

Shaun

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:17 am

You should be able to pick up another shifter. I also know of people who use oxyalic acid. (wood bleach) to soak rusted parts in. Works wonders apparently. Name sounds worse than it is. Many bike restorers I know use it all the time. I have been meaning to get some to try.

There is a link on info on it, will hunt it down for you and post it here.

Karen.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:19 am

I've seen it used on hand planes - darned amazing stuff.

Richard

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:24 am

Here's the link. http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultim ... 4;t=004702 It's quite a long post but shows pics and what the results are. I am sure you will have fun looking at how insane these guys are about their bikes. Friend of mine is one of the worst culprits, he lives for his bmx's!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:43 am

Wow, amazing stuff, gotta get some, you should see the state of the chainguard, I was thinking of binning it, now I'm not so sure.

I couldn't get www.dragsterbikes.com to open, prolly something to do with the work 'puter? I'll have another try at home.

Thanks again

Shaun

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:50 am

Yes it has that effect. You see the pics and think, got to get some of that. I have also used autosol on chrome that had worn off and polished long enough that the metal underneath shined up enough to look like almost new chrome. (better than paying to rechrome something, just time consuming) I am not sure what has happened to dragsterbikes. I have had the same problem. Maybe their server is down? They have been around for sometime so I would be surprised if website has closed down. If you have a pic of your old shifter, post it so I know what to look out for. There are so many different ones.

Karen.

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 am

cludence wrote:Here's the link. http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultim ... 4;t=004702 It's quite a long post but shows pics and what the results are. I am sure you will have fun looking at how insane these guys are about their bikes. Friend of mine is one of the worst culprits, he lives for his bmx's!
Wow! Works so well makes you want to go out and find an old bike to restore.

Love the answer to how to you dispose of it? "Pull the plug in the laundry room sink! It cleans the pipes on it's way out!"

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:37 am

Here's some pics Tuco. As you can see, they are nothing fancy but are ones I know people like to restore and ride. The retro look for riding down the local shops is very popular down here. Additionally the older ones with the horozontal dropouts make good candidates for single speed. If you were closer you could have had one to play with with the oxyalic acid.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:43 am

Oxalic acid is the stuff that puts the 'tang' in soursob stems - now I know why my Dad used to say not to suck on them!

marmite

Oxyalic Acid, and Dragster bikes

Postby marmite » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi Karen

Daryl here thanks for the links to the BMX site the guy there has some great pics of results from Oxyalic Acid I am definantly going to try to track smoe down here looks amazing thankyou for all the help you gave.
Are any of the bikes you are looking to get rid off dragsters ? cause if they are then I am keen to see some pics.

let me know ok

Cheers D

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi Daryl,

At the moment I have two girls dragsters 20inch wheel size and a long frame boys(frame only but takes 20inch wheels which I have here). A kid was supposed to pick up the long frame but I have not heard from him so if I email him and he isnt coming to get it you are welcome to that or the other two. Not sure where you are at but I am near Parramatta if you want to have a look. If I get others in I will let you know but it varies with the dragsters. I have not had any come in for a while.

The oxyalic acid is sold in most bunning stores. If not, there is a place a Girraween that distributes it. I am hoping to get some in the next few days so if you cant find it let me know.

Karen.

marmite

Thanks

Postby marmite » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:27 am

Hi karen

thanks for that will let you know ok what condition are the dragters in ?

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi, the condition of them varies, some need rust removed off the chrome, others just need a service or new tyres. So definately not brand new but not a pile of useless rust either.

Karen.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:24 pm

The oxalic acid bit Karen. It takes off the rust, but then what? Do you just leave it and it slowly returns to its previous state of disreputability? I'm looking at tarting up the Europa and some of the 'chrome' (paint obviously) is rather salt and pepper.

The other problem I've got is where I've had tape on the paintwork. She wore a generator for many years and the tape that held the wires in place has left 'tape like' marks on the paint - old adhesive residue. It don't want to come off. Is there a way of getting it off?

And the old Ambrosia rims - lovely, alloy rims, but they are now that dull, speckled grey that ally turns when ignored for twenty odd years. Any thoughts on that?

The problem I'm facing is: do I put the effort into making the Europa a gorgeous old girl again, do I have a go and wind up with a half an half image (which just looks like an old lady with too much makeup) or do I let her wear her age with pride?

Richard

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:57 pm

I have not used the oxyalic acid as yet. Headed to buy some this afternoon. Normally I polish mine with autosol which is about $8 from super cheap auto. Works wonders on shining up chrome. Have found it takes off adhesive marks as well. Can't say it would work on really rusted parts though. You would need to get that off first. I have a chopper here and the rack on the back had the chrome peeling off so I have peeled off the chrome and have been polishing the bare metal underneath and unless you look closely you wouldnt realise the chrome paint has come off. I've also used the autosol on alloy but if it is annodised I have heard to only use it sparingly.

I do her up but remember once you start polishing them its like collectable cars, you have to go back and redo it now and again. It's worth it though on the oldies. I have one here from the 70's that looks brand new simply because the man who sold it to me polished it all the time.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:02 pm

cludence wrote:I do her up but remember once you start polishing them its like collectable cars, you have to go back and redo it now and again.
Hmm, I always feel sorry for really nice vehicles that wind up under my care :roll:

Thanks Karen. I'll have a closer look and think about her. She will be a spiffy old lady eventually, I just haven't decided on the path to take yet.

Richard

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:14 pm

How could you not do her up? It would be a crime! I have an 80's retro morrison (cheapie one) here I fixed up and the europa is better than a morrison! I spent ages polishing it up simply because I like all the old suntour components on it. Nothing flash, but so retro looking! Just got to put some new tyres on it.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:26 pm

The old Europa was an answer to my dreams when I found her, brand new in the shop. She's remained so ever since. Even buying the Black Beast couldn't dislodge her from her position in my heart. So she'll be treated right. The trick is, knowing exactly what to do. Pity Adelaide and Sydney are so far apart.

She's been a work horse from day one. She's been required to carry lights and mudguards, for many years there was a trouser clip around her seat post because despite the miles we were doing together, I wore normal street clothes. She's leant against light poles during New Year's Eve celebrations in the city, she's waited outside pubs while I threw darts at dart boards. She even spent all those years waiting in the back shed when the bitchex didn't allow me to play pushbikes. She may have lost all her gears, but in my eyes, she's moved up an echelon, into the rarified world of fixies, and there she continues to be the jewell in my heart. The Black Beast may one day join her, but it'll need a lot of km under the wheels before she does.

Richard

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:37 pm

You'd go nuts here with all the old ones I have! Mind you, that guys email I gave you, I am sure he would have a few interesting ones hanging around waiting to be saved from the shed.

I have many favourites here but I have to say the one that has the most meaning to me is the one I have that was ridden in the 30's by an old guy when he went out on dates. -Dont know where the poor woman went though as it has a taylor stem on the front so a bit difficult to sit on the handlebars.

Got a guy calling by tomorrow to drop off a moutain bike he doesnt want. By fluke it ends up he raced in the 50's and still has his first track bike. It sits in his house and he looks at it every night. Will be fun chatting to him.

I have a serious problem when it comes to old bikes. :oops:

europa

Postby europa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:42 pm

cludence wrote:I have a serious problem when it comes to old bikes. :oops:
Yes, but only in the space to keep them :D

Richard