Closing the door on Doping - Time to move on

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Closing the door on Doping - Time to move on

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:05 am

This is a symbolic post recognising that this whole doping episode has created a pretty bad mess.

HOWEVER I am now going to focus on the future, on clean and honest sports cycling. I am putting my confidence into the sport that the current and future generations of cyclists will learn from the mistakes others have made so he sport can grow and be attractive and compelling for the right reasons.

Who is going to join me?

(I am looking forward to Cadel Evans take on Froome)
Cycling is in my BNA

The 2nd Womble

Re: Closing the door on Doping - Time to move on

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:25 am

Hear hear! Cadel's going to kick arse. You know how focused he is by the way he looks so late in 2012 ie: lean!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 am

Hear hear! Cadel's going to kick arse. You know how focused he is by the way he looks so late in 2012 ie: lean! He wants number 100.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:27 am

One of the great things about cycling is the great competitive lifespan that riders have. Having said that Cadel is one of the oldest riders to win the tour, it would be remarkable for him to do it again. Froome, eight years his junior looked amazing this year. He will be very interesting to watch in '13.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:28 am

...gluteus maximus*

paladin

Postby paladin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:44 am

RobertFrith wrote:One of the great things about cycling is the great competitive lifespan that riders have. Having said that Cadel is one of the oldest riders to win the tour, it would be remarkable for him to do it again. Froome, eight years his junior looked amazing this year. He will be very interesting to watch in '13.
Yup. Really looking fwd to contradict groomed this year. Cadel? I don't think so. Wiggins? God no I could not stand another boring tour.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:15 am

To be quite honest I have complete lost interest in watching any more professional cycling. :(

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 am

I'm with you.

Big kudos for all the guys that ARE riding clean and busting their guts in the face of everything.

Go Cadel and OGE (and other Aussies on other teams) !!!!

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 am

This post may get deleated from mods as it is opening another can of worms... but i agree with what alot of people have said about last years TDF be boaring veiwing and how Sky totally shut down the tour. Will it come out in a few years that Team Sky were on some performance hancing? :?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 am

AUbicycles wrote:This is a symbolic post recognising that this whole doping episode has created a pretty bad mess.

HOWEVER I am now going to focus on the future, on clean and honest sports cycling. I am putting my confidence into the sport that the current and future generations of cyclists will learn from the mistakes others have made so he sport can grow and be attractive and compelling for the right reasons.

Who is going to join me?

(I am looking forward to Cadel Evans take on Froome)
Yes, and hopefully Cadel can win it again.

Regardless of all the doping troubles, it's still a great sport - the one I'm happy to encourage people to get involved in. And regardless of how much I might say "oh I'm not going to watch professional cycling", I still do. :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:37 am

Whilst I admire the sentiment, my concern is that it is a little to reminiscent of 1999. To pick one example from the New York Times
Samuel Abt wrote: Will His Comeback Be an Omen for the Race?: Tour Finds Renewal In Armstrong's Story
Published: July 5, 1999

CHALLANS, France— Two days into the 86th Tour de France, the jury is still out on whether it has retained its popularity with a public weary of doping scandals, but there was no doubt Sunday that the victory of Lance Armstrong in the opening prologue after his battle with cancer was exactly the symbol the race organizers wished for.

Happy? Jean-Marie Leblanc, the Tour's director, was asked before the start Sunday of the first of 20 daily stages. He flashed a rare smile in the last year of turmoil and replied: "Yes — for me, for the Tour and for Lance above all. This is the Tour of renewal, of a return to the top level, and look at him: He incarnates that."

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:57 pm

I want to see Cadel, Froom and Contador battle it out. Any less would be boring.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:07 pm

sogood wrote:I want to see Cadel, Froom and Contador battle it out. Any less would be boring.
Agreed. From what Wiggo has said, Froome may be let off the leash as Sky team captain. Next years race probably won't be won in the time trials, given that the Queen stage is located after the second time trial. they could have saved everyone a lot of hassle this year and just run a TT instead, since that's all the race turned out to be.

Two ascents of Huez!! Bring it on. Doper or not, Contador is a beautiful climber and if we get the same sort of battles up the mountains that we had in 2009, I'll be happy (provided that Channel 9 don't get the coverage).

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:00 pm

+1 from me.

Cycling is a beautiful sport to me - whether competing, training, just mucking around, or watching. I like to believe that the 'new generation' coming through are clean, and I don't care if that makes me naive or even delusional. I just love it - and I'm not gonna let some bullying psychopath, who ran the most effective doping prgram I;ve ever heard of, ruin that for me... :D

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Tiz a sad time for the sport that I love so much and have many many good memories of and all of my best mates have come from this sport. I personally hope, that the powers that be will, be fair dinkum about trying to eradicate drugs. :wink:

It does sadden me when I read blokes saying, it is boring too watch the likes of TDF because of the domination of this or that team. :( You still have to admire the the effort that it takes for all the riders (even the bloody cheats) that compete in this and events like it because it is a huge effort to go out and compete at 100% or close to it every day. By not watching and supporting these races you are stick it to the blokes that are clean and trying to overcome adversity and to me that's not far to them. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Oh, and I forgot my favourite, Andy Schleck. Assuming he can fully recover from his injury and get back to his former climbing fitness.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:56 pm

I reckon it'll be interesting to see WHO is watching the tour this year and WHY.

Maybe they'll come looking for a freakshow and leave having discovered the most beautiful sport in the world.

There, could I be any more positive?

Erm, I mean positive in the nicest sense of the word, folks :oops:
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:14 pm

I was reading road bike review while this site was down. I see they have created "the dopers forum" as a sub forum. Keeps it all in one place and easier to take time out from. I thought it a good idea.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:56 pm

fat chance of doping disappearing. We're just entering the new and improved phase - gene doping. You ain't seen nothing yet.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:49 am

Nice sentiment AUBicycles but I think we need change at the top of the UCI before we see real change. There needs to be a disconnect between the enforcement of doping bans and the UCI.

I do think cycling is doing more than just about any sport to stamp out doping, but I still can't trust the leadership of the UCI. My opinion is that the UCI has been dragged along to introduce the more effective testing regime we see now.

That said, I will be watching races next year, I do think the peleton is much cleaner now and I'm amazed that we're not (yet?) seeing anyone ask the bleedingly obvious question: if this was going on in cycling, what was going on in a heap of other sports (athletics springs to mind)?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Purt

Postby Purt » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:32 am

AUbicycles wrote:HOWEVER I am now going to focus on the future, on clean and honest sports cycling. I am putting my confidence into the sport that the current and future generations of cyclists will learn from the mistakes others have made so he sport can grow and be attractive and compelling for the right reasons.
Same stuff gets said every time someone gets caught.

Nothings going to change.

I guess we could take bets on the next to fall?

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:03 am

DavidS wrote:: if this was going on in cycling, what was going on in a heap of other sports (athletics springs to mind)?
Cycling was the only sport to do anything about the clients of Dr Fuentes, who apparently included soccer and tennis stars.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:21 am

What this whole sorry saga has done, was to expose the fact that doping within professional cycling had reached a stage that I can only call “organised crime”. With several key players organising to provide this “service” to any cyclist or cycling team that felt the need to be a dominant force in professional cycling.

This network has hopefully been eliminated as a result of the LA expose’ and should leave any cyclist wanting to go down the PED path to their own devices, and in the process should make it more difficult for them to remain undetected without such insider knowledge.

At the same time I find it difficult to believe that team organisers, and other team members would not become aware that one of their own was engaging in the use of some form of PED’s. Therefore if PED use was to be completely eradicated, it would require some form of hefty penalty to be levelled against the whole of the team and their management, if one of their number was detected using PED’s.

This would result in a far more stringent effort to eliminated PED’s from cycling than would be possible by just the efforts of the Authorities and their detection program on it’s own.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:45 am

From what I have read it seems to me that to remove the current administrators of the UCI would take a lot more evidence than appears to exist that they actively protected some riders and teams using PED’s.

Therefore it requires a change of system in such a manner as to make the UCI’s role less able to interfere with any positive swab enquiries.

It may even take the setting up of a separate Authority to solely handle swabbing of riders, the conducting of enquiries into positive swabs, and the setting of penalties to riders and teams.

The problem will be to find a sufficient universally accepted argument for doing so, as well as the will and of course the finance, without any real implicating evidence that this role should be taken away from the UCI.