Interstate stores

Pravda

Interstate stores

Postby Pravda » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi guys,
Just trying to find out what people's experiences have been buying bikes from interstate stores. I'm looking at a few cyclocross bikes and there's slim pickings around WA at the moment so I'm investigating interstate stores.
I've heard some stores won't ship interstate if there's a local dealer, anyone encountered this?
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

uglybob

Re: Interstate stores

Postby uglybob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:23 pm

pretty sure MarkG has bought a few bikes into WA from interstate, might be worth shooting him a PM

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Try talking to Bikeforce, they have eastern state stores so they may be more willing to transfer between stores, or even if one store buys it from another store (at their own prices)

My local Bikeforce was more then happy to do this, and had only just done one when i was enquiring about buying a BMC from a melbourne store.

He did say sometimes the eastern states store will just say they dont have that particular bike because they are too lazy to transfer. Good idea to call the store first, confirm they have it, then get your local Bikeforce to negotiate the rest.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I have dealt with BikeNow in Victoria and they are awesome. Kim Roberts is a legend, and I recommend him time and time again.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Some brands restrict this. Merida is one, stores are only allowed to sell in store, no shipping. So if you find one interstate, they're supposed to ship it to a local store first.

I too had quite a hard time finding local CX bikes, especially when I was looking this time last year, as it was end of season. I found quite a few out east, but not a single shop would ship the Merida I wanted over here, all gave the same reason. The new models started showing up in Feb or so, and I picked up my CX 4 Disc at Mercer Cycles in Freo in March. They were the only ones in the area that seemed to have a few different Merida CX bikes actually in stock. If the same trend follows, you may end up having to wait until the 2013 stuff starts showing up.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:02 pm

JBark wrote:Some brands restrict this. Merida is one, stores are only allowed to sell in store, no shipping.
Specialized are another', though I was lucky and bought a frame over he phone from Melbourne and they shipped it to ACT, but my mate tried to do the same thing a few weeks later and they wouldnt do it.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:48 am

You have to be 100% self sufficient. I bought my Kona from BikeNow, and proceeded to spend a LOT of money on servicing over the next 12 months. like 300-400 dollars... I did a lot of kms. While ymmv, I am hesitant to say "just do it" because warranty is a big deal.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 am

FWIW I've just ordered a 2013 S Works Venge from a shop in Melbourne to me in Perth...
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 am

I ended up buying local. Worked out the best price and easiest way.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX