City of Cambridge "Ban All" City Beach and Floreat Beach

eldavo

City of Cambridge "Ban All" City Beach and Floreat Beach

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Beach ban for boards and bikes

The Town of Cambridge proposal would also ban fishing at the City Beach groyne, restrict it at Floreat to the evening
and ban bikes, skateboards and rollerblades from the promenade.

Open for comment to council til Tuesday

hiflange

Re: City of Cambridge "Ban All" City Beach and Floreat Beach

Postby hiflange » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:22 am

Town of Cambridge linky

I think it's just referring to the elevated narrow timber boardwalk that snakes through the dunes for a couple of hundred metres, actually seems reasonable to me that you'd want to keep wheeled vehicles off it. There's a car park at each end and good cycling access either on or alongside Challenger Pde just to the east. As as a swimmer I'm happy about the proposed restrictions on surfers and fisherfolk too.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 am

Yeah that promenade is hardly big fry, a by-law is probably required to put a sign up, fair enough add it to the gazillion others.

My non-bike related issue is more the six months blanket ban for boards is silly. Kids I used to go to school with would body board there before or after school, and your form class discussion started off with how the surf was that morning, not the house break-ins they did the night before at the previous school I was at.
6 months of the year they're talking about is far from peak swimming down there. Some effort to ID peak periods and figure out a better line in the sand than half the year seems reasonable but too hard, easier to say 6 month ban, impose fines, self fund inspections, carry on.
Most of the early/late hours I've rarely been past it's as I imagined, very sparsely swimming populated.

I don't surf or body board or do home break-ins, and more likely to be a swimmer or cycling on the beach itself, but can't see anything positive in incriminating people unfairly for fair use out of laziness to address a problem adequately.
If they have to break the law to reasonably pursue a recreation, it breeds contempt for the law generally, and further separates what's right and what is legal.
It falls into the doesn't matter now or 5 years for me, I slipped up, my mistake for having higher expectations of the social responsibility of the council to its constituents, beyond public liability insurance excuses to say it's too difficult.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 am

I read the proposed change the same as Robert. I believe it is the wooden boardwalk, which I personally would not ride on.

Eldavo, I also grew up in this area (attended City Beach High), and did fishing/surfing at this beach. However, this is a cycling forum, so moving on :).

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 am

Yeah, it's the similar attitude I suppose I saw from the other thread by Director General of Transport WA for instance that sent it over the fence when it should have bounced into the trash.
I generally don't have positives about these administrative sorts of things so will try stick to the cycle path etiquette here "if nothing nice to say..."

PS: Apparently there is some beach volleyball down these beaches on the weekend that makes an attractive cycle destination on a coastal ride.

gazman

Postby gazman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am

Just thought I would get into the school reunion discussion. I also attended CBSHS or City Beach Grammar as I like to call it -----a foundation student!

Edit. Forgot to add a promenade bike ban is probably a good idea.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:26 pm

My example was CSHS - Churchlands SHS, kids ther cycled from Woodlands, Wembley etc. to the coast before school, board racks on their bikes.
I think they were surfing while Hale School boys were already in uniform being dropped off by cars =D

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:41 pm

eldavo wrote:I think they were surfing while Hale School boys were already in uniform being dropped off by cars =D
eh i took the bus to hale! :roll: :wink:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:33 pm

I thought you came out of the womb on a bicycle, why the bus? =D

Some reason it reminded me of this pathetic bit of judiciary:
WA cricketer Luke Pomersbach, who lost his license for six months after going on a drunken rampage including assaulting a police officer in August, has been granted an extraordinary license after the court heard he didn't know how to catch public transport.
Court advice to sell car and use a bicycle?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 pm

RobertFrith wrote: As as a swimmer I'm happy about the proposed restrictions on surfers and fisherfolk too.
While I agree that there's no need to fish from or between the groynes I do beg your leave to wail "Won't someone think of the children?"

The groynes are the only surfable locations between Scarborough (sometime Trigg) and Swanbourne for most of the year. IE within Cambridge.

This would amount to a defacto ban on surfing in Cambridge for ten months of the year.

Adults can easily get to other locations but the young'uns are not so lucky.

To keep it on topic - who's the bigger idiot: Luke Pomersbach or the magistrate who fell for that line?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:04 pm

I was so outraged I rallied the troops and protested for all parties at the steps of Parliament this morning.

I don't think anyone else got the memo though =P

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37 pm

rolandp wrote:I read the proposed change the same as Robert. I believe it is the wooden boardwalk, which I personally would not ride on.
I have ridden it .... once. Pretty pointless exercise on my part and haven't bothered again. Cannot see an issue with the cycling ban at least.

Andrew