Finally gone tubeless, am I going to die!

Bentnose

Finally gone tubeless, am I going to die!

Postby Bentnose » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:38 am

I finally fitted a Stans conversion kit on the MTB, rear tyre only so far. It took a while as it turned out I couldn't use my Velox rim tape and had to fit the Stans yellow tape (on DT Swiss XR400 rims). Then there was a big hole in the tyre that would seal up then if I wiggled the knob near it then it would open up again, I had to patch it and this didn't seem to fix it either, left it overnight and it seems to be okay now. I'm using tubeless ready Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25/2.1 F/R, they sealed up very quickly with the bead sealing immediately and there only appeared to be one sidewall leak, still took me 2 hours with all of the mucking around, though at least I didn't need an air compressor.

Before I do the front one, should I be concerned about some of the horror stories I hear of people having tyres come off rims and breaking various parts? I read of one bloke who used DT Swiss rims and the DT Swiss conversion kit with UST tyres that had this happen, you'd think that would be potentially safer than my set-up. I also know someone who had a "ghetto" set-up who had the front tyre come off on a steep descent and put himself in hospital, I don't think mine is classed as a "ghetto" setup though, I don't think he used tubeless ready tyres.
No signature

bychosis

Re: Finally gone tubeless, am I going to die!

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:41 am

Yes, you are going to die. We all do at some stage. Don't think it will be caused by your tyre setup though. If you are worried run with the rear only for a while first, or keep the pressure up a bit. Tyres can come off via burping, hitting an object with low pressure so it deforms the bead and you loses ALL pressure in a hurry.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:11 am

I think I'll run a fairly conservative 30 psi front and 33psi rear, 4psi lower than I run with tubes.
No signature

coyote

Postby coyote » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:56 pm

am I going to die!
Yes, you are going to die one day, it just a case of how and when that is yet to be worked out. But untill then enjoy life to the full riding your Mountain Bike and trying new things with it. 8)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Why are you using yellow tape on mtb's?. Yellow tape is more for high pressure applications ie: road bikes. MTB's are easy with the rubber stans strip. Aside from that you are running 30psi in a big tyre... no it won't come off the rim. I have been running tubeless for a long time on my mtb's and never had a tyre come off ( unlike my road bike )... if you are using a UST tyre you will be fine. I can get away with 30psi easily at my weight.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:25 am

I'm running tubeless ready, I guess they don't have sidewalls as stiff as UST. With the Velox (cloth) rim tape on I had a very hard time getting the tyre on the rim and found I couldn't get it to seat, I only used 1 layer of the yellow tape, should I have used 2? Will using the yellow tape instead of the Velox potentially lead to increased chances of burping?
No signature

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:41 am

Tubeless ready tires?... sounds like they are just plan old tubeless.
If you are running rims with spokes holes in the rim, then yes you need to seal them, not with cotton velox tape... you can use yellow tape, 1 wrap will be fine, sometimes you double wrap for road wheels but then you are going from 30 psi to 100'ish. But it easier with stans rim strip ( http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=38842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )... if they are burping it can be hard to fix, I have only ever had that issue on my cx tyres with smaller air volume.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:18 am

Schwalbe call them tubeless ready http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tubeless_ready.

I used the Stan's conversion kit which came with the yellow tape and the rim strips you mentioned Toolonglegs, I used the yellow tape underneath the strip. Did you use the black rim strip with your CX setup?
No signature

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Better to just use the Bontrager rim strips and forget about Stans altogether IMO...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 pm

I use Bontrager rim strips and non tubeless tyres on my 29er and need Stans to keep air in them.

My XT tubeless rims and UST tyres don't need sealant but I run it anyway in case of punctures.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Ok, they used to supply nylon tape with those rim strips but have obviously switched to yellow.
For my cx bike I tried the strips but couldn't stop the burping so I went with tubes... Although I pinch flatted in yesterday's race :-( ... Tubeless would gave been fine yesterday as there was no off camber climbing. But it was a real pain to set up so I won't be bothering.