(VIC) A couple of questions - are these things 'ok'?

chipotleaway

(VIC) A couple of questions - are these things 'ok'?

Postby chipotleaway » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 pm

1) Would it be legal to ride on one of those footpath bridges (not sure if it's footpath only, they're wide) they have to cross those wider ~70kph roads? (first picture of the imageshack link to see what I'm talking about. Grey bits are the footpath and the bridge, white with the yellow arrows are the larger roads, smaller white parts are the smaller streets. The yellow arrows are the direction of traffic and red is my proposed route).

2) On the return trip, would it be alright ride against traffic on the footpath to get back (blue arrows of the same diagram) or at least cross the bridge? (the blue arrow on top is about 100m) Or would I have to find another route (e.g. head in the yellow direction to the next pedestrian crossing, which in my case is not close)

http://imageshack.us/g/850/mapde.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

zero

Re: (VIC) A couple of questions - are these things 'ok'?

Postby zero » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:32 pm

It doesn't get more or less legal or illegal (depending on state - QLD its legal - in NSW it won't be unless they are marked as sharepaths) to ride on the footpath on the wrong side of the road. To be on the 'wrong' side of the roadway, you need to be in the roadway. It just gets less safe if there are reasons for cars to cross your path as they won't expect you in that direction.

If you are uncomfortable on a 70km/hr road, then use the footpath. My experiences with faster roads is that there is very little pedestrian traffic, and passing police are moving faster and won't stop for you or care about it. You will be running a minor risk for a ticket, and its only a cash fine.

I would personally use the road, and take the exact same route I would in a car. The only difference is that if there wasn't right turn pockets marked up on the roadway, I might do my right turns via a hook turn for safety, as sitting in a middle 70km/hr lane waiting for oncoming traffic to clear with no protection is a higher risk of being rear ended (even in a car).

chipotleaway

Re: (VIC) A couple of questions - are these things 'ok'?

Postby chipotleaway » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks zero

I'll probably stick to the footpath for now.