Crowz

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby Crowz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:52 pm

My new (to me) Eurosport Tri-A

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 am

Crowz wrote:My new (to me) Eurosport Tri-A

Nice one James - pedals on and ride it. Will take all of 2 minutes - even on a workday ;)

Sharri29

Postby Sharri29 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:01 am

Hope you enjoy it James! It was a little sad to pack it up, but glad it found a home where someone will be riding it.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Sharri29 wrote:Hope you enjoy it James! It was a little sad to pack it up, but glad it found a home where someone will be riding it.
And ride it I will! Just need to true the rear wheel.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Does anyone know where I could source some new brake hoods for the bike above? 1989 shimano 105 brakehoods to be precise. If they're impossible to find, can your experienced minds tell me the next best solution?

Cheers,
James

edit* I've looked on evilbay (nothing) and taken it to the lbs and the bloke said he tried two months ago for someone and couldn't find anything.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:50 pm

plenty of black ones around..

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 pm

munga wrote:plenty of black ones around..
I was under the impression not any will fit. Am I wrong?

funnybike

Postby funnybike » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Sometimes the tabs inside the hoods are slightly different, but you can slice them off if needs be.
The basic outer shape is unchanged since the first aero levers.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Crowz wrote:
I think you should go downtube shifters James.

jools

Postby jools » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:02 pm

This is my RT Sport project - I picked the bike up a while ago but the gears, brakes and wheels were rubbish so it's been hanging about in the garage waiting for inspiration. This morning I picked up an ebay win - a nice set of 27" wheels - new but cheap tyres, Ukai rims, shimano high flange hub at the front and a Sturmey Archer hub on the rear. The hub is a 1979 S5.1 5 speed with chains coming out both sides. I've done some research and according to Sheldon Brown the S5.1 is unreliable and pops out of gear but I'm still a few steps away from actually riding the bike so I'll have to wait and see. For the moment I just wanted to get the wheels on and get some photos.

My plan for this one will be to replace the drop bars with something more upright, like North Road or similar. Everything else will depend on whatever I can pick up cheaply!

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:44 pm

diggerdantheman wrote:
Crowz wrote:
I think you should go downtube shifters James.
Yeah it's definitely staying as downtube shifters. It's just the brakehoods that are starting to disintegrate. I'll look at some hoods on bay/online shops and see if there are any that look similar.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:32 am

I think it'll be much quicker/cheaper to replace the levers with a set of Tektros like these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tektro-Aero- ... 0657838862.

Some vintage hoods can be very hard to find.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:49 am

rkelsen wrote:I think it'll be much quicker/cheaper to replace the levers with a set of Tektros like these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tektro-Aero- ... 0657838862.

Some vintage hoods can be very hard to find.
+1

I think I have some spare James.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:06 pm

I finally got round to finishing my 80's-tastic fluoro extravaganza...

It's big for me, but still a nice ride. Quite a short top tube for its height, fortunately (well, shorter than the seat tube). Not for long rides I guess, but nice for short ones! I quite like the high bars relative to the seat for a relaxed ride not too bent over.

The drivetrain's like new, so it's quiet and smooth. I whacked on some long profile Jagwire BMX pads that I had lying around on the front for more friction (there are the road version on the rear already). Seems to work...I'm more into function on this one than form... I had to trim the trailing edge to clear the fork. Oh, and NOS Exage Motion levers from France. Wouldn't have bothered but they were cheap.

Last edited by Stuey on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Stuey wrote:I finally got round to finishing my 80's-tastic fluoro extravaganza...

It's big for me, but still a nice ride. Quite a short top tube for its height, fortunately (well, shorter than the seat tube). Not for long rides I guess, but nice for short ones! I quite like the high bars for a relaxed ride not too bent over.

The drivetrain's like new, so it's quiet and smooth. I whacked on some long profile Jagwire BMX pads that I had lying around on the front for more friction (there are the road version on the rear already). Seems to work...I'm more into function on this one than form... I had to trim the trailing edge to clear the fork. Oh, and NOS Exage Motion levers from France. Wouldn't have bothered but they were cheap.

fluoroganztastic Stu.

jap-sai

Postby jap-sai » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:31 am

wow, very impressive. This bike is right up my alley. Big fan of the 80's style/colours etc. If your ever looking to sell, let me know as this is definetly a superlite I would buy without thinking twice.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 am

Thanks for that.

Forgot to say (generally) that the BBB bar-tape (no, I don't have a stutter) was a nightmare as the sticky backing stayed on the peel-off tape, leaving the bar tape completely un-sticky. Bah!

Hence, I just quickly slapped it on, but it actually seems OK so I should've taken more time with it. I expected it to move, but it's pretty grippy.

Still, I think slighly thinner (less padded) tape might suit the bike better; maybe that Fizik holey stuff.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:02 am

Crowz wrote:
I think Munga means the proper ones. I've seen quite a few around, especially black. White ones are more rare, but this was the first hit on Google. I think they're the right ones (pricey I know).

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm

OK I know I've got an '80s Repco with modern wheelset but this is just taking things too far:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carlton/ ... 1008676162#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This would've been OK at half the price but not worth much with that bendy fork:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy- ... 1008656931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

munga

Postby munga » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Stuey wrote: Still, I think slighly thinner (less padded) tape might suit the bike better; maybe that Fizik holey stuff.
yeah looks good, Stuey.

how about some cinelli splash!

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Arrrgghh noooooooo morrrrrrre colourrrrrrs!

Still, I wouldn't need lights or reflectors...

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm

nice clean new brake hoods !!
Stuey wrote:I finally got round to finishing my 80's-tastic fluoro extravaganza...

It's big for me, but still a nice ride. Quite a short top tube for its height, fortunately (well, shorter than the seat tube). Not for long rides I guess, but nice for short ones! I quite like the high bars relative to the seat for a relaxed ride not too bent over.

7 steel bikes and counting

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:38 pm

me too !
only thing missing from the my aqua Eurosport build.
Crowz wrote:Does anyone know where I could source some new brake hoods for the bike above? 1989 shimano 105 brakehoods to be precise. If they're impossible to find, can your experienced minds tell me the next best solution?

Cheers,
James

edit* I've looked on evilbay (nothing) and taken it to the lbs and the bloke said he tried two months ago for someone and couldn't find anything.
7 steel bikes and counting

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:42 am

dillonp wrote:me too !
only thing missing from the my aqua Eurosport build.
Crowz wrote:Does anyone know where I could source some new brake hoods for the bike above? 1989 shimano 105 brakehoods to be precise. If they're impossible to find, can your experienced minds tell me the next best solution?

Cheers,
James

Depends how much you want to pay.
http://www.bike-vintage.com/brake-lever ... b-nos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;