How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

__PG__

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby __PG__ » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:13 am

Strong northerly tailwind this morning so I busted a nut trying to set new Strava segments. I also notice that the good weather brings out the fancy commute bikes. Last night I saw I guy riding home on a Specialized Tarmac with SRAM Rred and Zipp 404s. This morning a guy was commutting on a Cervelo.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:37 am

TailWind wrote:I see him indicate to turn left into a driveway, but he must have seen me and changes his mind, carries on, makes a right at the next circle. I follow.
you should have said to him coldly "i know where you live mate" and rode off, leaving him wondering if you were going to pay him a visit (which i'd recommend not doing - leaving him wondering is enough).

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:24 am

The traffic was awful this morning and there were quite a few cyclists out on the roads. There was almost the bike jam on ANZAC Bridge there were so many peds and cyclists!

I managed to snag the wheel of a guy on an electric bike. Awesome moto pacing through Milson's Point and up to North Sydney!

westab

Postby westab » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Good ride in this morning after the first km.
Crossing at the lights near home (with a bike / ped crossing) went across with the green light and as I am to cross the ped crossing at the left turn bay the first car did the usual thing of speeding up "I will not let the cyclist pass - I have a smokebox and I pay rego" attitude. No biggy I slow and let the goose pass - see the following car slow (with a two car length gap) so I start to proceed - then car just keeps coming. Emergency stop so that the lady will only hit front wheel if lucky - then she sees me and stops. 1m to spare - she waves a big sorry. I yell no problem and ride on - she could have had the rising sun in her eyes or simply didn't look. Note to self more care there in the morning in case it is the sun.

The rest of the ride was good including when I got on the M7 shared pathway there was a rider 100m behind me who saw me and looked keen for a chase. It was on and I held him off the 6km till my exit. He closed on the hills but the flat sections and down hills gave me enough space to stay away. Don't know if it was a serious chase but I'm claiming it anyway - today the rabbit got away. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Looks like I have missed a bit since not being on the bike

TW - good effort, but your attempt at flying doesnt beat mine...you just hit a car, I tried a truck. Good to see you back riding again...and the pics reaffirm why I went with a Titanium frame over carbon.

they say things come in threes...I just hope the third accident, hoping it doesnt happen, isnt a serious one for anyone. I am a still a little jittery and was very aware of the cars on my first commute this morning for a long time...had a dual cab ute shave me this morning...is that 30 secs gained going to really make such a difference

Body held up pretty well, not that sore .... yet.

Weather is nice here today so hopefully the ride home will be a good one.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:44 pm

good that you are back on the bike and on the path to full recovery! There seems to be a bit of aggro on the roads at the moment so being on full alert is important!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:48 pm

gretaboy wrote:Looks like I have missed a bit since not being on the bike
TW - good effort, but your attempt at flying doesnt beat mine...you just hit a car, I tried a truck.
Hey gretaboy, welcome back!! Yeah, I would have been a lot worse off had I impacted an unmovable object. This way I only gouged my shins/side of calf on the bottom of the dropbar on the way over the car - still hurts like buggery though, even now. The landing was pretty tame despite the 35 km/h launch velocity ... :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 pm

TailWind wrote: The landing was pretty tame despite the 35 km/h launch velocity ... :mrgreen:

hahaha my launch was at 35 km/h as well....I am still amazed at how few injuries I received as a result

does knock the confidence a bit though doesnt it...

the bike felt a little weird this morning, really noticed it...didnt feel like an extension of me, like prior to my accident

GR - thanks...the aggro is because of the hints at warm weather I reckon...I am dreading the warm weather purely because it seems to bring the P platers out of hibernation and their pitiful attempts at trying to scare cyclists

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:11 am

Uneventful ride yesterday afternoon - for a change...
This morning's ride in was warm, and for some reason, the streets were swarming with taxis between 4:30 and 5:30am, one of which raced towards a traffic circle I was just riding through, looking like he had no intention of giving way. Already saw myself becoming a hood ornament, but he pulled up hard eventually, probably only because there was another car just behind me going through the circle in on of the other lanes ..
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 am

riverloop smashfest this morning on fuji-sun. averaged 30. 2 of us at the end went for it to make sure we made the 30km/h average.
good sized group this morning. fantastic weather, again

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 am

Nice leisurely ride in ...was a little cool still first up but warmed up enough by the 15 k mark

Not pushing myself at the moment, just allowing the legs to get used to it all again. Weather was brilliant and should be a nice hot ride home this arvo...back to carrying two water bottles.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 am

Good and bad for me this morning. Bunch ride to Redcliffe is always pleasant. However a new lady came along this morning. Unfortunately she crashed. :(. Both her and the bike were banged up but able to continue.

Then... Coming into town a young lady had crashed behind the grammar schools and apparently broken a shoulder or collar bone. Ambos in attendance. :(.

More carnage this morning than I've err seen. :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 pm

workmate had a crash this morning. so cruised home with him as he had a buckled wheel (resulting in no front brakes!)

the tail wind was teasing me

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Something old something new on the ride home tonight.

Somtheing new - a runner tried to step sideways through me on the narrow way to the pyrmont bridge. We bumped shoulder to shoulder - he was built like a jogger, I am built like a prop forward - he bounced off & back where he came from.

Something old - oh so old - later I was riding up a narrow one way street, cars parked all up one side. Naturall I ride a metre or so out from the parked cars. Doesn't leave room for passing cars but it keeps me out of the door zone. Our brain dead mate decides he can squeeze through anyway - side of his car would have been 10-15 cm from me. It turns out that his number plate is clearly visible on the video, so it seems I may have to find the time to learn how to copy the MP4 to a DVD & pay the local cops a visit.

Of course the delightful irony is that all he achieved was getting to the red light earlier & when I arrived it appears a rhetorical question slipped "why would you pull that stupid stunt?"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:11 am

Perth: Thursday

A bit windy both ways. Hit a wall half way home. I never know when or why as I do these sorts of times as many days as not.

Still. Still, probably more today/this evening if I can finsih up early enough.

Get out there guys - warm and pleasant. Before the heat and the Doctor start getting a bit extreme.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Dry ride in Friday morning, but the afternoon was a mess. Multi-hop commute with showers, rainstorms, rainbows - the whole lot..nice to be riding anyways :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Perth:

It was certainly hot out there today. Amazed at how many riders there are in groups on Saturday mornings - Sundays are nowhere near as busy.

Came across a friend from way back who held up traffic at the lights as he tried to get my attention - unfortunatley my eyes are not that good anymore at seeing thru glass into cars so he had to then pull up next to me. Nice to see you Woody.

kom123

Postby kom123 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Score update: Cyclist 0 Magpie 2

The infamous McGraths Hill maggie got me!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Back to commuting this past week after being on holidays for 14 weeks and doing other riding ...

Anyway had three "nice" welcome backs ...

The regular close shave ... normally don't bother with these anymore but since it was a welcome back ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbdD74G2 ... Ty2GUeXItQ[/youtube]

The roundabout ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHutrH9g ... Ty2GUeXItQ[/youtube]

and then the best one ... the traffic lights [not posted here as it would violate the "rules".]

Looking forward to next week and the sharing of love and kindness by all :)

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:30 am

Chilly this morning, but dry. Problem-free commute into the Melb CBD. Looks like it's shaping up to be a nice day.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:59 am

very relaxed and cruise this morning. definitely nothing exciting.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Perth:

The weekend was great though I obviously need to get aclimatised to the heat again. Took it easy on Sunday however.

This morning a little muggy but the temperature when I left was an easy 16 degrees. Didn't need any extra warmth and I made great time despite no effort to set any records.

It would be great if tonight there is no Freo Doctor. I could do with another easy ride.

Remarkably few people out today considering the less ideal conditions forecast for the rest of the week.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Very humid indeed in the Wild West metropole - sweaty Betty! Felt good otherwise after circumstances forced me onto four wheels TWICE last week, hiss.

And I share the dismay about the forecast for the rest of the week - my early-stage upgradeitis is progressing and I had booked a sneaky day's leave to take myself off test-riding, well I can't see shops being wildly enthusiastic about that idea in the wet :?
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Rode to a first aid course on the way home today. They even let me put the bike in their storeroom. Total win. :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:43 pm

How were the legs this morning?

We are joining in on the smurf run in the morning too!
Lisa