Painting Fancy Lugwork

wurtulla wabbit

Re: Painting Fancy Lugwork

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 pm

GaryF wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote: The red and green below look but that blue one is as rough as a badgers arse ! :D

Hi wurtulla wabbit,

I must comment on your comment about my bike and its paint job. At no time did I ask for your opinion re the paint job. In fact, this thread, started by old al, was asking for other forum members' personal experience painting lugs. I have that experience as I have painted quite a few bikes and I was giving him a quick rundown about my method of painting lugs. I was not putting my bike up as a prime example of frame painting technique. I also read how you have never painted a bike and could add little to old al's question.

I think you have missed the point of this particular forum. This forum attracts people interested in retro biking and is a very supportive and encouraging environment - always has been - always will be.

You are entitled to your own personal opinions about other forum members bikes and their interests and experiences but personal values are rarely written down unless they are asked for by the person initiating the thread.

I think you need to ask yourself if this type of supportive environment is for you or would your more negative responses be at home in other forums.
I love retro bikes mate, I own a 30yr old fully restored Harold master, perfect condition and whilst I admire your "having a go" (at my comment and your frame lug painting) I would suggest you develop a sense of humour (really sensitive) as I was just yanking your chain.

Edit. It's a public forum and as far as I have experienced in numerous other public forums, if you don't want opinions , don't post photos as they'll be subjective and not always the expected pat on the back.
Iif you think its good, you also need your eyes tested,it is rough but hey, go for your life !

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Grog wrote: Back on topic.... Can anyone add light rearding how do you stop bleeding under the masking? Is it just a matter of using the right masking material or is there more to it?
I've used a fine poly tape the doesn't bleed. It's an auto finishing flexible tape. About 3mm wide, green. You can get it from supercheap.

I used it to do this lining

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:21 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:
GaryF wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote: The red and green below look but that blue one is as rough as a badgers arse ! :D

Hi wurtulla wabbit,

I must comment on your comment about my bike and its paint job. At no time did I ask for your opinion re the paint job. In fact, this thread, started by old al, was asking for other forum members' personal experience painting lugs. I have that experience as I have painted quite a few bikes and I was giving him a quick rundown about my method of painting lugs. I was not putting my bike up as a prime example of frame painting technique. I also read how you have never painted a bike and could add little to old al's question.

I think you have missed the point of this particular forum. This forum attracts people interested in retro biking and is a very supportive and encouraging environment - always has been - always will be.

You are entitled to your own personal opinions about other forum members bikes and their interests and experiences but personal values are rarely written down unless they are asked for by the person initiating the thread.

I think you need to ask yourself if this type of supportive environment is for you or would your more negative responses be at home in other forums.
I love retro bikes mate, I own a 30yr old fully restored Harold master, perfect condition and whilst I admire your "having a go" (at my comment and your frame lug painting) I would suggest you develop a sense of humour (really sensitive) as I was just yanking your chain.

Edit. It's a public forum and as far as I have experienced in numerous other public forums, if you don't want opinions , don't post photos as they'll be subjective and not always the expected pat on the back.
Iif you think its good, you also need your eyes tested,it is rough but hey, go for your life !
OK wurtulla wabbit, where can I see a photo of your Harold Master? 30 years old you say? That's my era of interest. I have never seen nor heard of a Harold Master so I'm guessing it's British and probably a small builder specializing in made-to-measure bikes. Some of those British bikes of that era are quite something. Sounds fascinating.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Sorry mate, damn iPad spell checker.
Haro master, its an 80's BMX.
I'll get some pics if you're still interested.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:12 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Sorry mate, damn iPad spell checker.
Haro master, its an 80's BMX.
I'll get some pics if you're still interested.
I'm not really into BMX but, being an old school teacher, I have had quite a few students, over the years, that have shown me their cherished bikes. I recall one student from 1986, who showed me his trick bike and it was beautiful. He could do anything on it and it was in tip-top condition with double laces wheels and chrome tubes. Every bearing was adjusted perfectly. What a wonderful bike. I think it was a Haro from memory.

I visited him at his home about 6 months ago and he still has the frame and a few parts in storage. He is now into Harley Davidson's but he plans to put his BMX back together one day.

Yes, I would love to see your Haro Master. Perhaps in a new thread so we're not hijacking old al's thread (as we have been doing - sorry old al).
Last edited by GaryF on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Getting a bit off topic but that reminds me of a story from Pushies Galore this year, a young bloke of 10 or thereabouts was showing his BMX which he proudly stated was '20 years older than me!' Awww :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Getting a bit off topic but that reminds me of a story from Pushies Galore this year, a young bloke of 10 or thereabouts was showing his BMX which he proudly stated was '20 years older than me!' Awww :) .
Yeah - that must be right. BMX must be getting a bit 'vintage' by now. Who would have thought.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Haha, yeah yeah, I didn't realize they had to be THAT old ! :D
Bikes a mid 80's, considered old skool bmx bu they, I am only 40. :D

Grog

Postby Grog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:52 pm

amrjon wrote:I've used a fine poly tape the doesn't bleed. It's an auto finishing flexible tape. About 3mm wide, green. You can get it from supercheap.
Many thanks for the tip. And that pinstriping is sensational!
Greg

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 am

Grog wrote:
amrjon wrote:I've used a fine poly tape the doesn't bleed. It's an auto finishing flexible tape. About 3mm wide, green. You can get it from supercheap.
Many thanks for the tip. And that pinstriping is sensational!
Greg
+1 - sensational!!! Much more accurate than a brush.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:07 pm

some advice, dont do a llewellyn frame .. :shock:

I just finished one, and it took me more then 40 hours to finish this one...

there are more pics, for those that want more, they are taken by someone with more camera experience then me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baudman/se ... 127293270/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Nice work Johan. 8)

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:20 am

Very very nice.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:26 am

damhooligan wrote:some advice, dont do a llewellyn frame .. :shock:

The amount of fancy lug work, the skill & care of the paint job, it is easy to see where the time went Johan.

The conversation about price must have been interesting. I thought about what would be a fair rate per hour & multiplied that by 40 & my mind went pop, even if you only charged 1/2 that

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:55 am

there are more pics, for those that want more, they are taken by someone with more camera experience then me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baudman/se ... 127293270/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sensational :D :D :D
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:

The amount of fancy lug work, the skill & care of the paint job, it is easy to see where the time went Johan.

The conversation about price must have been interesting. I thought about what would be a fair rate per hour & multiplied that by 40 & my mind went pop, even if you only charged 1/2 that
Well ....
I anticipated a lot less hours... not having done a llewellyn before..
So i didnt charge the full 40 hours...
I am to blame for that.. so lesson learnt....
But money aside.. it was rewarding to work at such a beatifull frame.
The quality of that frame is absolutely amazing.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:03 pm

Mustang wrote:

I just finished one, and it took me more then 40 hours to finish this one.

Sensational :D :D :D
Thanks
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:04 pm

rkelsen wrote:Nice work Johan. 8)
Thanks
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan