upgrade or not?

Lawz

upgrade or not?

Postby Lawz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi all
I bought my first brand new hybrid Schwinn Sporterra black in July after the recommendation of a bike shop employee. I had no idea at the time how often I would ride and also just wanted the cheapest bike that would do the job. I ride pretty much everyday after work about 15k-20k at night and 40k over the weekends. I contemplate on commuting to work by bike which is approximately 40k round trip each day.

I know the bike can do the job however I just feel like I need to upgrade to a better hybrid. I'm thinking a lighter frame so far. The terrain I encounter are only road, footpath and occasional offroad (due to no footpath or too dangerous to ride on road/share with cars).

I've thought about either Merida Speeder T1 or T2 or Norco VFR 2.

QUESTION: What is more worthwhile... keeping it or upgrading to the listed above bikes? Other recommendations?

If you think I should upgrade then how much do you think the Schwinn Sporterra should be sold for and sites of recommendation to sell on?

Thanks!

beauyboy

Re: upgrade or not?

Postby beauyboy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:52 pm

ahh another case of upgraditis :lol:

first question from where to where in brissy. The route will decide what may be required.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Just go better wheels and tyre, that is all you need to do If, you're not going to race and stay on the cheap. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:02 pm

I concer wheels and tyres make a big difference

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Lawz

Postby Lawz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:16 pm

beauyboy wrote:ahh another case of upgraditis :lol:

first question from where to where in brissy. The route will decide what may be required.

Donald
haha yeah and only after a few months :( I just read this thread also -> http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... f=9&t=8617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IGA Boondall to Mater Hospital, South Brisbane or Ipswich Rd, PA Hospital, Woolloongabba.
well I know it's crazy but I haven't quite worked out a route yet besides what google maps provides and other sites.
Trying to find safe and quick routes and if possible no huge inclines.

Wheels and tyres are the ones that came standard with the Schwinn Sporterra.
Wheels: Weinmann ZAC19 doublewall 32 Hole
Tyres: Duro Spitfire, 700 x 38c.

Thanks for the speedy replies :)

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Ahh I see your route issue. Contact the CBD BUG and one of our northern Members may be able to give you some tips.

For what it is worth I would backtrack a little and use the Boodall wetlands /Kedron Brook Bikeway from boodall to Toombul then cut across hamilton to Kingsford Smith and use the footpath, then over New Farm/Valley border (arther st) to the Storey Bridge. Then you have a easy option of between your two destinations. I live in New Farm and when I visit my parents in shorncliffe this is the route I take. It is fairly safe & flat, I have found and you can really get some speed up in the wetlands. That said I am a whimp when it comes to large vehicle traffic.

Bike wise I would test it on the commute a few times first. I have found double walled rims very important for dropping off the footpath onto the road a light wheel may help with speed but is prone to damage. Tyre wise I would invest in a good puncture proof tyre for the rear wheel. (I run armidillos) Running in from the North you may find alot of glass on the road portitons of the commute and flats can be a real pain.

Donald

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:55 pm

beauyboy wrote:Bike wise I would test it on the commute a few times first. I have found double walled rims very important for dropping off the footpath onto the road a light wheel may help with speed but is prone to damage. Tyre wise I would invest in a good puncture proof tyre for the rear wheel. (I run armidillos) Running in from the North you may find alot of glass on the road portitons of the commute and flats can be a real pain.

Donald
+1 to all the above. I started riding 4 years ago on a Giant Elwood SE (it's a hybrid) I bought second hand off ebay. Did me well for a couple of years.
I then bought a Cross City 1 (flat bar) and it was quicker. Early this year I upgraded the wheels to Pro-Lite Como's as they are tough as hell
tyres - I run schwalbe marathon plus in 25c for commuting

you have a bike. smash it for a bit commuting before deciding to upgrade. you'll then understand what you want/need. if you have upgraditis get SPD pedals and shoes, or a garmin edge 500, or better lights. all things easily transferred to a new bike