Things parents say why kids not riding to school

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Things parents say why kids not riding to school

Postby bosvit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:32 am

I got a 10 speed racer for christmas the year before I started high school simply so I could ride to school, both my brothers got the same thing.

And we were not the only family that did it this way.

We lived in the foothills of the Adelaide Hills and was a bit hilly to ride primary school so we walked. We had to be pretty sick to get a lift home, more often than not if Mum had to pick us up she would just walk up the hill and get us.
bosvit

by BNA » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:23 pm

BNA

Postby Xplora » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Roinik wrote:The most challenging thing at her school is affluenza and dodging all of the expensive luxury vehicles vying for precious car spaces.

I think it's worth putting something to the P&C etc... a kid is more than physically capable of walking a distance to school, and it is not like kids walking are any less vulnerable than kids riding bikes.
Xplora

Postby skull » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Roinik wrote:If we are so scared of having our kids walk or ride to school, aren't appropriate measures called 'teaching your child how to ride a bike, understand road rules and ride defensively' appropriate measures?

What you mean be responsible for raising our children...

What rubbish are you talking about.

That is the school system and teachers jobs :D
skull

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:49 pm

barefoot wrote:A bit surprised at how "helicopter"-ish the school culture is. I thought our area - one of the nicer pockets of inner Ballarat - was reasonably progressive and more likely to have at least an undercurrent of free-range parenting. Oh well, I guess it will be up to me to subvert the dominant paradigm...

tim

Actually, it doesn't really surprise me at all. To me, the most dangerous thing about many schools is the urban warfare that goes on in the street outside the school, with multiple Landcruisers, X5s, MLs, Cayennes, other SUVs of all sorts double parking and suddenly U-turning. It's scary! :shock:
g-boaf

Previous

Return to General discussion