disk brake - 6 bolt or centerlock

rifraf

disk brake - 6 bolt or centerlock

Postby rifraf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Ok I'm looking at some hub purchases for wheels for a new frame build (yet to be determined but thinking Ogre/Troll) :idea:

As the bike will be multi use and include touring I'm thinking Avid BB7 cable actuated at this stage (if it makes any difference).

Not having had a disk braked bicycle before I dont know what to base a purchase decision on. :oops:

Whats the skinny on the differences between 6 bolt or centerlock :?:

I was getting ready to hit the buynow on a dynohub and spotted that there is a choice of disk which threw a spanner in the works
of my decision making. :?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

MichaelB

Re: disk brake - 6 bolt or centerlock

Postby MichaelB » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:30 pm

In the end, nothing afaik.

Different system to achieve same end. 6 bolt is more common though.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm

I prefer centre lock ( same tool as cassette ) as they are easier to remove than stripped out allen heads :lol: . No much difference really... why they can't make a centre lock slightly floating though I don't know, would make discs vastly smoother.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Is there any issues getting 160mm rotors (centerlock) and BB7 calipers to work?
I see Shimano do a SM-RT81
http://www.this link is broken/Shimano-SM- ... centrelock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which appears to be 160mm which is what comes factory on the wheels of the bike (complete) that I'm looking
at a frame/fork for.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:09 pm

if you buy new bb7 callipers they usually come with a rotor.

as far as I understand center lock/6 bolt will work the same way with any caliper.

you can buy a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter, I use one.

Reman

Postby Reman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:45 am

If you look around the net you may find some extremely cheap BB7's, these are sold as calliper only (probably OEM donation :wink: ). That way if you decide to go centre-lock you can buy a separate rotor without the need for an adapter.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:34 am

It's usually about what hubs/wheels you are buying since that determines what rotors you choose. If you are buying BB7s with a rotor (the most common way to buy) then get 6 bolt hubs. I have both types of hubs and don't think it matters much.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Reman wrote:If you look around the net you may find some extremely cheap BB7's, these are sold as calliper only (probably OEM donation :wink: ). That way if you decide to go centre-lock you can buy a separate rotor without the need for an adapter.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=79346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$66 seems better than most

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:53 pm

and $47.50 is even better again for road or mtn
http://www.jensonusa.com/Avid/Avid-BB7- ... 011?cu=AUD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but, the postage is $26.70 so best build up a bigger order to spread the shipping cost....

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 pm

baabaa wrote:
and $47.50 is even better again for road or mtn
http://www.jensonusa.com/Avid/Avid-BB7- ... 011?cu=AUD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but, the postage is $26.70 so best build up a bigger order to spread the shipping cost....
Thanks for the heads up Baabaa,
my link was actually for the 2013 version according to the c r c site but how much difference can there be between
your 2011 version link and the latest (for a significant saving).
As Jenson is where I'll source my frame from if I go ahead with the build I imagine the shipping might be absorbed somewhere.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:19 am

toolonglegs wrote:I prefer centre lock ( same tool as cassette ) as they are easier to remove than stripped out allen heads :lol: .
Ease up on the wrenching - 2 to 4 Nm on those bolts.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:30 pm

...but how much difference can there be between
your 2011 version link and the latest (for a significant saving).

I doubt much unless you want to do the new superduper sl versions at a much higher $$
Put the money saved into fancy jagwire cables and housing to make your bb7s sssmmmooottthhh

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:38 pm

Rif I went through this decision recently when building up some 700c disc wheels. I went XT centrelock as they will take 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes. The 6 bolt XT hub takes only 8 and 9 speed. I also am using BB7s so ideally use Avid centrelock discs to match. Initially I bought XTR discs at a good price but they were not designed to work effectively with the BB7s as they were the Icetech model which must be used with the appropriate calipers. They squealed and warped on fast descends. Like TLL the easy attachment of C/L is a plus for me as they are simple to tighten and undo, sharing the same tool which cassette lockrings take. I'm not ham fisted but the little purchase you get with most T25 torx wrenches is a recipe for skinned knuckles.

One last thing avoid 140mm for the rear unless riding CX races and your frame has an efficient cable run. IME you do not get enough stopping power on steep descents. Probably with some better cables and minimal drag it will work better but 160mm front and rear will give superior stopping particularly fully loaded.

cobba

Postby cobba » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Uncle Just wrote:I went XT centrelock as they will take 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes. The 6 bolt XT hub takes only 8 and 9 speed.
That last bit doesn't sound right.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:14 am

cobba wrote:
Uncle Just wrote:I went XT centrelock as they will take 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes. The 6 bolt XT hub takes only 8 and 9 speed.
I think it depend on which model XT hub Uncle Just is using.

My Sram Dualdrive is documented on taking 7,8 or 9 speed cassettes but I know for a fact, due to a friends experimentation, that
there is no probs using a 10 speed.
If I relied on the service manual I'd never have 10 speed (although I only use a seven cause its cheaper).
Last edited by rifraf on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 am

Uncle Just wrote:Rif I went through this decision recently when building up some 700c disc wheels. I went XT centrelock as they will take 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes. The 6 bolt XT hub takes only 8 and 9 speed. I also am using BB7s so ideally use Avid centrelock discs to match. Initially I bought XTR discs at a good price but they were not designed to work effectively with the BB7s as they were the Icetech model which must be used with the appropriate calipers. They squealed and warped on fast descends. Like TLL the easy attachment of C/L is a plus for me as they are simple to tighten and undo, sharing the same tool which cassette lockrings take. I'm not ham fisted but the little purchase you get with most T25 torx wrenches is a recipe for skinned knuckles.

One last thing avoid 140mm for the rear unless riding CX races and your frame has an efficient cable run. IME you do not get enough stopping power on steep descents. Probably with some better cables and minimal drag it will work better but 160mm front and rear will give superior stopping particularly fully loaded.
Thanks for all the info Uncle Just, I'm now open minded about the centerlock and will go down that route if its available for
the hubs that I want when funds are available for purchasing.

If they are not then I'll happily buy the 6 bolt but I'll put the centerlock at the top of the list.

I too am looking at 700's for wheel size.

cobba

Postby cobba » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 am

rifraf wrote:
cobba wrote:
I think it depend on which model XT hub Uncle Just is using.
If it's an old hub that was pre 10 speed (which wasn't too long ago for mountain bikes) then it probably wouldn't be listed for use with a 10 speed cassette.

Scroll down to "The differences between Shimano compatible 7,8,9, and 10 speed cassettes" on this link.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks for the link cobba. When I was searching for a hub the XT 6 bolt M756 was listed as 8/9 compatible. The centrelock XT hub is listed as 8,9 and 10 compatible.
Reminds me a little of the DA 7800 derailleur cassette range. The Shimano site stated 27t was the limit but many could get it to work happily with a 28t. :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:17 pm

cobba wrote:
I am using XT M756 hubs with 10-speed with no issues. 10 speed cassettes are slightly shorter so you just throw a 1mm spacer on the free hub first.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi