Things a Weekend Warrior *can* do

warthog1

Re: Things a Weekend Warrior *can* do

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:30 pm

I suspect being a large bloke with a correspondingly bigger heart yours is slow compared to average Twizzle.
I don't reckon the pros publish accurate hr readings. Don't want the competition to know how hard you really are trying.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:31 pm

warthog1 wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Oh, definitely, there's always some outliers...

... and get a PM, HR is soooooo yesterday! :wink:
Go on strava and have a look at the hr on segments. Mine is only a little higher than average on most segments where I live and that includes nrs riders ( who are much faster than me).
I have a few thousand dollars worth of wheels bought over several years so a power tap is out of the question. Crank based power meters start at a couple grand and I have 3 bikes. Not happening while maintaining a marriage :lol:
I don't do Strava, but I'd expect most people are closer to their Max than their average when going for records - unless you only looked at long segments, that is. My threshold is around 360W, but I can do a 15 minute 420W if I'm doing a one-off.

A mate of mine has a Power2Max (~$1600 I think), he switched all his BB's to GXP, it literally takes five minutes to swap between his bikes. Of course, you then want a spare in case something goes wrong...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:33 pm

warthog1 wrote:I suspect being a large bloke with a correspondingly bigger heart yours is slow compared to average Twizzle.
I don't reckon the pros publish accurate hr readings. Don't want the competition to know how hard you really are trying.
TDF TT data feed from last year, looked legit to me, although the spike at the end suggested the pacing could have been better.

And... if you look at 75% of the range between resting and max as being most people's "I'm going hard" point, it's around 150bpm.

O.K. - I agree, it's not helpful of me to have put a 'stick in the ground' at 150 bpm. But most weekend warriors wouldn't understand "75% of FTP HR for 30 minutes".

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:38 pm

jimboss wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Ross wrote:Use MTB pedals/cleats/shoes on their road bike
I have SPD on both my Commuter & Road Bike. It means I can wear whatever shoe I want on each bike, and I don't have to do a duck waddle on the polished concrete floor in our building car park, nor when stopping off for coffee on one of my long rides. With my road shoes, unless you actually looked at the bottom of the shoe you would have no idea they were SPDs :-)
Bit close to the bone eh! Don't feel the need to justify your decisions to us :wink:
Ok, you caught me out!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 pm

twizzle wrote:
I don't do Strava, but I'd expect most people are closer to their Max than their average when going for records - unless you only looked at long segments, that is. My threshold is around 360W, but I can do a 15 minute 420W if I'm doing a one-off.

A mate of mine has a Power2Max (~$1600 I think), he switched all his BB's to GXP, it literally takes five minutes to swap between his bikes. Of course, you then want a spare in case something goes wrong...
Hadn't heard of those thanks. I have cranks on my new S5 that will accept a quarq and I have thought about it. It's only ever going to be fun for me. I can't justify it in the end. I should have started with PT wheels.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Cycledelica

Postby Cycledelica » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: What are the things weekend warriors *can* do?
Make it all the way to the coffee shop without needing to refuel with a carb gel shot

skull

Postby skull » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Cycledelica wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: What are the things weekend warriors *can* do?
Make it all the way to the coffee shop without needing to refuel with a carb gel shot
But still have a gel anyway.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

stanzarallyman

Postby stanzarallyman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 am

I have a few thousand dollars worth of wheels bought over several years so a power tap is out of the question. Crank based power meters start at a couple grand and I have 3 bikes. Not happening while maintaining a marriage :lol:
C'mon, whats more important, powermeters or marriage. If you ask me marriage is overrated :D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Buy a power meter.... but never analyse the data.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 pm

twizzle wrote:Buy a power meter.... but never analyse the data.
Stop picking on me.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 pm

twizzle wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Oh, definitely, there's always some outliers...

... and get a PM, HR is soooooo yesterday! :wink:
Go on strava and have a look at the hr on segments. Mine is only a little higher than average on most segments where I live and that includes nrs riders ( who are much faster than me).

/quote]

i've never seen my max HR on the bike compared to LT test on wind trainer. Pretty close but about 2 bpm off.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:22 pm

get to the red light first. Apparently only pussies time it so that they can roll thru the green