Getting to Galston: Alternative to New Line Rd?

stevecassidy

Getting to Galston: Alternative to New Line Rd?

Postby stevecassidy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:18 pm

I just had a nice ride from home through Galston and Berowra, the only downside on the route is the small section of New Line Rd. that I need to ride to link Highs Rd. (coming from Telopea) and the Galston turnoff on Old Northern Rd. It wasn't so bad early this morning but even then there are a few sections where I'm climbing in the gutter with traffic much closer than I like. So I'm looking for an alternate route.

On the map, Old Northern Rd. looks like the only alternative, I could follow Castle Hill Rd for a while and join it or go through the back streets (David Rd) a little further along. So, is Old Northern Rd any better than New Line? Are there any other options I could try?

Thanks,

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

Apple

Re: Getting to Galston: Alternative to New Line Rd?

Postby Apple » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Traffic may have been due to work on the F3. Not sure but I know the F3 was closed today and taffic had to use the old PH way
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

martin_12

Postby martin_12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:07 pm

I avoid riding north on New Line road between Boundary Rd and Old Northern Rd. Going south is OK outside of peak hours. Going north I use Castle Hill Rd which has 2 lanes (occupy the left lane), and Old Northern Road which has 1 fairly wide lane. Getting to New Line via David is no good because the worst bit of New Line is the climb from Hastings to Hungry Jacks (Sebastian Dr).

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:37 pm

stevecassidy wrote:I just had a nice ride from home through Galston and Berowra, the only downside on the route is the small section of New Line Rd. that I need to ride to link Highs Rd. (coming from Telopea) and the Galston turnoff on Old Northern Rd. It wasn't so bad early this morning but even then there are a few sections where I'm climbing in the gutter with traffic much closer than I like. So I'm looking for an alternate route.

On the map, Old Northern Rd. looks like the only alternative, I could follow Castle Hill Rd for a while and join it or go through the back streets (David Rd) a little further along. So, is Old Northern Rd any better than New Line? Are there any other options I could try?

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve,

If you are coming from Highs Rd, you have four options:-

1) Turn left and go along Castle Hill Rd up to Old Northern Rd, turn right and follow it around past Round Corner and up to the big roundabout at New Line Rd/Old Northern Rd.

2) Cross Castle Hill Rd at Highs Rd, take the footpath for a short distance towards Castle Hill and enter David Rd on the Shared Path. Follow David Rd and at the first roundabout, turn left into Westminster Dr. Continue along Westminster to the next Roundabout, and turn left into Oakhill Dr. Take the 2nd Left off Oakhill Dr into Willowbrook Pl, then turn right into Highclere Pl. At the end of Highclere Pl, take the shared path through to Old Northern Rd, opposite the Castle Hill Fire Station. You can then continue along Old Northern Rd from there.

3) Cross over from Highs Rd to County Dr and come all the way to the Roundabout at Shephards Dr/New Line Rd and turn left. I suspect this is what you already did, since you mentioned climbing uphill in the gutter.

4) Join New Line Rd via the David Rd/James Henty Dr intersection, ride down the hill to Hastings Rd and then climb up New Line Rd in the "Slow Vehicle" left lane. Yes, it is a tough climb, but at least you are not in the gutter!

When I am doing the Gorges, I really have no choice in terms of my route. I live in South Dural just off New Line Rd. I come out of James Henty Dr and can either turn left and head towards Pennant Hills or I can turn right and head towards Galston. Early in the morning it is perfectly fine as I ride down to Hastings Rd pretty much on the 60km/h speed limit. Climbing the hill from Hastings Rd to Sebastian Dr is tough going at the start of a ride, but I have never had any issues with traffic. I don't suggest doing this in the middle of the day on a weekend, but during the week it is perfectly fine after about 8:30am. You'll even get the 40km/h school zones on Old Northern Rd and be able to keep up with the traffic past Dural Public School and again past Galston High School.

Coming back from the Gorges towards Dural I am not worried about traffic. Coming down New Line Rd from Sebastian Dr (Hungry Jacks) to Hastings Rd is just a case of picking a gap and claiming the lane. You will not have any problems maintaining 60km/h (quite the opposite, you'll need to use plenty of brakes to limit you to that speed!), and as the lights at Hastings Rd are always green for the through traffic you can use that to your advantage. I am typically almost half way up the hill to James Henty Dr before I have to start pedalling again!

I commute from Dural to Nth Sydney and back Mon-Fri and I use New Line Rd both ways. However, coming home I turn right at Purchase Rd (Cherrybrook) and then use the footpath along New Line Rd from Purchase Rd to Caber Cl, and enter South Dural from there. That avoids the climbing up the hill in the gutter, which in peak hour is helpful because the lane is not very wide and buses/trucks take up a lot of space!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Milar

Postby Milar » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:31 pm

I went up here yesterday for the first time (from Dundas). That climb before David Road was a bit hairy! The climb after Hastings Road is steeper but as you point out queequeg, there is a slow lane and feels far safer.
Next time I head up there I'll try one of the alternatives. Although the trip home down those hills on New Line was a lot of fun :D

Steve, Did you go Oakes, Aiken roads? I didn't plan it and just went up Pennant Hills Rd on the footpath - which was a pretty horrible way to start a ride :roll:.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Milar wrote:I went up here yesterday for the first time (from Dundas). That climb before David Road was a bit hairy! The climb after Hastings Road is steeper but as you point out queequeg, there is a slow lane and feels far safer.
Next time I head up there I'll try one of the alternatives. Although the trip home down those hills on New Line was a lot of fun :D

Steve, Did you go Oakes, Aiken roads? I didn't plan it and just went up Pennant Hills Rd on the footpath - which was a pretty horrible way to start a ride :roll:.
I don't reccommend the climb up New Line Rd between Purchase Rd and David Rd on any day unless is either very early, or on a school day when nobody is about. The lane is very narrow and there is almost no shoulder. I use the footpath, but that is only because I live in the South Dural area that is directly off James Henty, and it can be accessed via Caber Cl which is about 1/3 of the way up the hill.

If you are coming from Telopea/Dundas etc your two choices are Oakes/Aiken -> Footpath along Pennant Hills Rd (unless you like B-Double Trucks thundering past you at 70km/h), then Castle Hill Rd/New Line Rd, which is ok until the climb up to David Rd/James Hennty Dr. On weekends it is ok, but otherwise I'd be going around the back (or a detour through South Dural up to James Henty Dr before rejoining New Line Rd).
Choice Two is to come through the West Pennant Hills Valley, up Highs Rd and through Cherrybrook/Castle Hill and go up David Rd to the same intersection. You'll certainly get fit from all the hills!

The ride back down New Line Rd from Hungry Jacks to Hastings Rd is a case of just hanging on. I know the speed limit is 60km/h, but lets just say my bike has gone a little bit over that :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks for the pointers queequeg, the footpath option sounds like it might cut out the worst part of New Line Rd., but somehow I think I'd prefer to avoid it if possible. The return trip is much better as you said since you're matching speed with the traffic on the narrow sections, but all the same I'd be happier on a quieter road with a bit of space if there were an option.

You mentioned the option of Old Northern Road - is that any better in terms of traffic and/or space?

Millar - the route I took is on Strava - I did take the back way through Oaks/Aiken and then High's Rd, that route really opens up the Dural/Galston area and I think I'd use it more if I could find a way around New Line Rd. The hills make a great change from doing laps of SOP.

Steve

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:58 pm

stevecassidy wrote:Thanks for the pointers queequeg, the footpath option sounds like it might cut out the worst part of New Line Rd., but somehow I think I'd prefer to avoid it if possible. The return trip is much better as you said since you're matching speed with the traffic on the narrow sections, but all the same I'd be happier on a quieter road with a bit of space if there were an option.

You mentioned the option of Old Northern Road - is that any better in terms of traffic and/or space?

Millar - the route I took is on Strava - I did take the back way through Oaks/Aiken and then High's Rd, that route really opens up the Dural/Galston area and I think I'd use it more if I could find a way around New Line Rd. The hills make a great change from doing laps of SOP.

Steve
Old Northern Rd is fine. A bit crazy when the Lorien Markets are on (as they were this weekend), but it is a relatively flat option. The only catch is using castle hill rd to get there. You do have some options for bypassing castle hill rd too. Option 1 is the back street route I outlined previously, entering old northern rd opposite the castle hill fire station.
Option 2 is to come up through castle hill itself via Castlewood Reserve (off Highs Rd before you do the big climb up to Castle Hill Rd). If you prefer, you can then duck around the back of Castle Towers and go up to Old Northern Rd via Old Castle Hill Rd or Gilbert Rd. Both have wide road shoulders (and hills!)

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks queequeg, I think I'll give Old Northern Rd a go on my next trip, see if I can navigate the backstreets.

Miller, if you want to join me for a ride up that way one morning drop me a PM. I'm thinking of doing an early run in the week, maybe up to the roundabout on Old Northern Rd. and New Line Rd and back.

Steve