Suggestions for colour

bychosis

Suggestions for colour

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 pm

I have knocked up an old Raleigh frame into a fixie. Bought some Reid wheels (I know) in royal blue and a blue chain (because I can). I have a better sized frame that is partially stripped and getting ready for paint.

Suggestions for a frame colour?

I'm thinking either metallic red or satin black. So far saddle and bar tape are black, and I won't be changing that for a while, and definitely not to white for either.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

PeteV

Re: Suggestions for colour

Postby PeteV » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Personally I say black or white, red will contrast with the blue parts too much. But it's your bike, do whatever YOU like, its all personal taste. Once you get hooked to riding fixed (and you will) you'll look for a dedicated frame anyway so experiment away with this one as much as you want!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:14 pm

2 places to start, google 'Keith Anderson flickr', and 'pedalmafia pedal id'.

And there's no need to be embarassed or anything about the Reid wheels, if it's the cheap v ones then they're just Quando hubs on Stars Circle rims, i've been thrashing the hell out of a set of those for well over a year with no worries, i've got a bunch of pb's on strava with them.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 am

bychosis wrote:I have knocked up an old Raleigh frame into a fixie. Bought some Reid wheels (I know) in royal blue and a blue chain (because I can). I have a better sized frame that is partially stripped and getting ready for paint.

Suggestions for a frame colour?

I'm thinking either metallic red or satin black. So far saddle and bar tape are black, and I won't be changing that for a while, and definitely not to white for either.

how long is a piece of string ??

I often get asked, wich color do you think is better ?? (as I repaint other peoples bikes)
My answer, none, as it is not my bike.
Its your bike, you choose.

If you want my suggestion , I would suggest blue metallic, as thats my favorite color.
But thats my color, not yours, so just pick a color you like, and you wil be fine.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:06 am

damhooligan wrote:If you want my suggestion , I would suggest blue metallic, as thats my favorite color.
:)

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 am

Media blast to raw steel and clear powdercoat.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:32 am

Hammertone.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:01 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Media blast to raw steel and clear powdercoat.
Saw a bike like that last week - had a lovely spider web pattern of rust under the powdercoat. Looked very artistic now, but I suspect not very long lasting

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:26 am

find_bruce wrote:
Saw a bike like that last week - had a lovely spider web pattern of rust under the powdercoat. Looked very artistic now, but I suspect not very long lasting
Sure it was powder coat , and not just a clear coat of paint? Clear on raw Powder coat is offered by brands in many bikes now as an option and shouldn't rust unless chipped, just like a tinted powder coat. clear laquer sprayed on to an unprimed metal however will rust quickly. Hooli needs to chip in here I think.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Dan wrote:
damhooligan wrote:If you want my suggestion , I would suggest blue metallic, as thats my favorite color.
:)
Another vote for blue metallic.

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:49 pm

If you have blue rims, it needs to be a lime green frame. White is ok but conservative and common. The green will set the wheels and chain off nicely and for bar tape you could go a similar coloured blue... or for an edge, red.
Cycling is in my BNA

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:55 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
Sure it was powder coat , and not just a clear coat of paint? Clear on raw Powder coat is offered by brands in many bikes now as an option and shouldn't rust unless chipped, just like a tinted powder coat. clear laquer sprayed on to an unprimed metal however will rust quickly. Hooli needs to chip in here I think.
Clear powdercoat and clear laquer are the same product.
The diff is application!!
Both are poreus meaning they wil let air trough.
Meaning they wil both rust.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

munga

Postby munga » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 pm

brick red, red oxide, burnt orange.

and ditch the blue chain.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:27 pm

damhooligan wrote: Clear powdercoat and clear laquer are the same product.
So adding a pigment that makes either of them opaque changes the porosity ? or am I missing something here? Clear is completely different in it's chemical composition and therefore more porous that a colour pigmented base.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:25 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
So adding a pigment that makes either of them opaque changes the porosity ? or am I missing something here? Clear is completely different in it's chemical composition and therefore more porous that a colour pigmented base.
Im not a chemical expert, so I dont have the exact details, but i think both are the same in porosity
I never looked into this, so a very good question.

What I do know is , if you use only clear on top of bare steel, you are exluding an important step,
primer.
As the primer is also a key element of insulating the bare steel, and key to preventing corosion.
Primer is not poreous, and is always applied under color pigmented paint.
Giving the color version garanteed the effects you need.

So it is not just the top coat thats important, but the undercoat plays also a key part.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:34 pm

damhooligan wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Im not a chemical expert, so I dont have the exact details, but i think both are the same in porosity

What I do know is , if you use only clear on top of bare steel, you are exluding an important step,
primer.
As the primer is also a key element of insulating the bare steel, and key to preventing corosion.

So it is not just the top coat thats important, but the undercoat plays also a key part.
i didn't think powder coat used a primer, just needed an etched surface and a thorough clean before application, and was a applied in a one step process. I respect your opinion as a painter, but think the info you are offering on the alternative is possibly not qualified. There are images of clear powder coated frames on the net that are several years old with no signs of rust, as opposed to clear coats of paint on an unprimed surface that are rusty.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
damhooligan wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:[quote="damhooligan"
Clear powdercoat and clear laquer are the same product.

primer.

i didn't think powder coat used a primer, just needed an etched surface and a thorough clean before application, and was a applied in a one step process. I respect your opinion as a painter, but think the info you are offering on the alternative is possibly not qualified. There are images of clear powder coated frames on the net that are several years old with no signs of rust, as opposed to clear coats of paint on an unprimed surface that are rusty.[/quote]

Powdercoat can be applied in different ways

Just one coat color.
Primer and color.
And primer color and clear.

Powdercoat is often.thicker and wil delay the proces.
But its does not prevent rust.
Clear over steel wil rust.
Type of application makes no difference
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!