New LBS

Ross

New LBS

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:09 pm

The Cyclery now open in Fyshwick, in Pirie St, oppposite The Canberra Times. Full of nice Specialized bike including a couple of Venges (complete bike and just a frame) and a few Tarmacs (inc an Ult Di2 version I was lusting after! :mrgreen:) and a good range of MTBs as well. There's a coffee shop next door that is sort of part of the bike shop but I think owned and run by someone else. Open 7 days a week. It's a branch of the Lonsdale St Cyclery of Braddon which is still operating.

bosvit

Re: New LBS

Postby bosvit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Suffering a bit of bike lust Ross?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Branch off from Lonsdales hey.......does that mean their prices for everything are at least $10 more then every other shop as well?
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:22 pm

One opens, another closes - Mal Adjusted in DIckson closed on the weekend.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Smiths Cyles in Fyshwick are closing as well on Sunday 18th November.
There has recently been another shop open in Braddon, Callahan Cycles. Located in the old Discount Tyres building, opposite Bike Shed. I think he's only open part time at the moment and concentrating mainly on repairs and maintenance rather than selling bikes and parts.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:51 am

Smiths took on the Merida dealership when OnyaBike dropped them and became On the rivet. Then the Merida ((distributer went and opened a store in fyshwick and undercut them.

Pity guys in smiths were really nice

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

seddo

Postby seddo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:19 am

sad to hear Smiths have closed down, friendly, knowledgeable and not pushy(pardon the pun)

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:33 am

Sounds like they might be back in new premises later; their current location was small and off the way. It looks like Newcastle St is becoming quite a bike store centre. The new Cycle City store on Newcastle St is a good use of space - very pleasant.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:51 am

I hope.smith.cycles isn't closing. They have been in my experience one of.the.better shops.in Canberra.

Nice, friendly, helpful.

My next favs are TLC in woden and then cycle city.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Shame to hear Smith's closing. Def one of the better shops in Cbr.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:40 pm

jcjordan wrote:Smiths took on the Merida dealership when OnyaBike dropped them and became On the rivet. Then the Merida ((distributer went and opened a store in fyshwick and undercut them.

Pity guys in smiths were really nice

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
Merida opened in Fyshwick?

I hope the new shop doesn't take away from Cycle City. Garth has worked hard to get that new business going and deserves to keep his business.

In other news, and probably sadder than Smiths in terms of length of service, Maladjusted has closed. Mal gave up the good fight. He stood tall for a long, long time. Hope his next venture brings more long term success with less work for him.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 am

Think the OP got confused between Merida & Cycle City. As far as i know Cycle City is the only Merida dealer in Fyshwick.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:52 am

According to Smith's facebook page their lease is up, and Paul & Kim are taking some time off to get married early next year. I believe the plan is to re-open again once they've had some time to enjoy wedded bliss.
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:16 pm

mrgolf wrote:Mal gave up the good fight. He stood tall for a long, long time. Hope his next venture brings more long term success with less work for him.
This was suggested in another forum but was shouted down by someone suggesting there was no "giving up", just time for something new. Either way, Mal was (is...?) my favourite mechanic and wheelbuilder in Canberra. Sad that he shut his doors.

On another note, an honourable mention for Steve Callahan from Callahan Cycles in Braddon - a thoroughly decent guy, a vintage bike lover, a strong pedaller and apparently the Canberra Wiggle rep.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:16 pm

bpmhigh wrote: .........Steve Callahan from Callahan Cycles in Braddon ....... and apparently the Canberra Wiggle rep.
Ohhh interesting.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Where is Callahan cycles in Braddon?

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:39 pm

mrgolf wrote:Where is Callahan cycles in Braddon?
Unit 9, 27 Lonsdale Street.

http://www.facebook.com/StevensSpeedSho ... anBicycles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

supera

Postby supera » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:19 pm

do you all have a LBS that you use exclusively? or do you shop around?

I got my first bike from pushys a couple of weeks ago. after the comple apathy I was shown by 2 of the lonsdale street shops, and after another Fyshwick store who just couldn't understand my needs (and tried to sell a 125kg guy getting his first bike a flat bar road bike way over my budget), the guy at Pushys went above and beyond. and I was a pain in the arse, I test rode 9 different bikes. he couldnt have done anything more to help me find the right bike, and even encourage me not to spend as much as i was thinking i should on a new bike.

after riding 9 bike, I re-rode 3 of them that he'd already put away. I took 90 minutes of his time... and then only spent $600 all up. the bike was 10 bucks cheaper than elsewhere, and even at that price point they didn't make me pay for all the other stuff I had to buy.

so it surprised me when I researched their reputation after the fact and found sections of the Internet almost mocking them.

I deliberately didn't mention the names of the crap stores - its not fair to tarnish them from one experience. but if there are any that you know are rubbish from more extensive experience, I'm not opposed to that.

but more than that, I'm keen to know whether to just keep going back to pushys or if perhaps their great customer service is actually masking a lack of knowledge.

I hope pushys are good - I liked the salesman so much I thought that if I ever wanted to do a bunch ride, it's seems a friendly place to do it with.

Bobbybobson

Postby Bobbybobson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:49 pm

+1 for Callahan Bicycles. Not a huge range of stock but great for repairs/maintenance and a fantastic atmosphere to boot. Genuinely nice guy with time for the customers without making you feel stupid.

Also +1 for complete apathy from other Lonsdale street shops, as well as stupidly inflated prices.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 am

supera wrote:I'm keen to know whether to just keep going back to pushy
+1 for Pushy's Fyshwick. I bought a bike for the kid there recently - we got multiple test rides in the back parking lot, the staff were good and knew what they are talking about, very helpful.

Canberra has a pretty good range of good bike stores, and I find almost all of them are well worth a visit. Makes shopping around fun.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 am

Went to Smith's yesterday only to find it closed. I went to a lot of bike stores when trying to buy a bike and it was hands down the best (although didn't stock the bike I ended up buying. Old man later bought his bike from there.

I hope they set up somewhere else in '13

skull

Postby skull » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:49 am

supera wrote:do you all have a LBS that you use exclusively? or do you shop around?
When I was living in Hobart I only used one shop (Bike Ride), the service was beyond excellent.

Anyway now in the ACT I have done a little bit of shopping around to try and find a similar standard to the guys from Hobart.

Being a cannondale fan boy I first went to the only cannondale rep in ACT. Didn't think much of my experience there so they are off the list. Went to pushys and was blown away at the amount of stock there (you can fit all of Hobart's bikes stores in pushys), I have also had fantastic service from the other bike shops in the fyshwick area. The best bike shop so far IMO is Smith's at fsywick however I drove past the other day and they are closed, I have heard that they are relocating in the new year but not confirmed where or when yet.

There are also 3 local shops near where I live (on the rivett, TLC and Bike Shed), have dealt with them all and happy with all of them. Tho one I had service my bike I did take back the next day as I wasn't satisfied with what they had done, they were really apologetic and sorted it out straight away.

Have also had a look at two in belconnon, the one on the lake, ride 365, are good they also have a little cafe set up which is nice. On ya bike in Belco I have had mixed experiences, some of the staff are really friendly and provide good service, there is one guy there who makes it feel like you are putting him out when serving you and is always quite gruff.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:33 pm

I also recently got my bike from Pushyss.
I really liked the guy there the first time I went. The guy i spoke to the second time didnt know as much butwas still very friendly and very keen to help. I cant answer the question as to whether I'll just stick with one shop, but I get 3 months servicing there and dont see a reason to go anywhere else.
With all that said - I dont want to enter the online vs LBS debate, but the more I look online, the more I realise why some people can't justify supporting the LBS

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 am

Pushys have an online store (as well as selling things on eBay) and their prices are cheaper than the bricks and mortar shop.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Ross wrote:Pushys have an online store (as well as selling things on eBay) and their prices are cheaper than the bricks and mortar shop.
True, however be careful not the get the physical and online store mixed up. Online store is based out of Brisbane I believe and online purchases have to be posted so no pickup.