Adjusting indexed down tube shifters for upgrade of wheelset

asianexpat

Adjusting indexed down tube shifters for upgrade of wheelset

Postby asianexpat » Thu May 29, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi there. I am thinking of buying a new wheelset that is rear 7 speed. My current bike is rear 6 speed and I was told by a mate that I would have to adjust my downtube shifters which are indexed shifters to ensure that the gears switch properly.

Due to my very limited knowledge of shifters, what does that involve or do I not have to adjust the shifters at all?

Hope some one can help shift some light

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 29, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't think you can go to 7x and keep the indexing, but I've never had indexed DT shifters. You should be able to set them for friction operation and they should be fine like that.

I'd check out sheldonbrown for more info.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu May 29, 2008 8:08 pm

mmm come to think of it....

the relatively modern bar-end dura-ace shifters I have on my cross-check are switchable between indexed and friction...... as are a couple of old pairs of downtube shifters on my Ricardo fixie (which I have just left there for old time sake... for now) Both have the similar indexed/friction modes.

Both of these are Shimanos - so assuming yours are as well - on the side of the rear derailler shifter there is a "D" shaped clip, whereby the straight rear edge of the D runs through the mounting screw - flip it up and then I think you just turn it through 90 degrees in the direction it can turn. Fold it back down and voila.... a friction shifter.

if memory serves - I think there might even be some tiny esoteric graphics on mine to suggest this can be done.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

asianexpat

Postby asianexpat » Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 pm

wow. coolz. thats the help i was looking to. and yup my downtube shifters are shimanos SL A 400s

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 pm

Sweet Xpat, you might be able to adjust the derailleurs limits to suit 7x too.

Thanks for expanding it Kym :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011