Intermittent free-pedalling and free hub replacement

assarabbiya

Intermittent free-pedalling and free hub replacement

Postby assarabbiya » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Good evening guys -
Seeing that the hills of my commute is too much for my 21 gear Avanti, I bought a old-ish 2008 Giant Farrago with 27 Deore gears.
It was all good until one day the pedal seemed disengaged from the rear wheel (i.e. me pedaling, rear wheel not turning) as I was sprinting away from a red light, resulting in rather embarrassing and painful sight..
I initially thought the chain was slipping but I later found out I could not hear the clicking sounds as the wheel free spins, pointing towards problems in the freewheel / free hub.
I'm NOT an expert in bicycle mechanics in any way, but am I guessing the source of the problem correctly?
Does anyone have any experience in getting this fixed at any LBS? how much did it cost?

Thanks for reading through -
Oh my two-wheeled friend, how I love thee..

Stuey

Re: Intermittent free-pedalling and free hub replacement

Postby Stuey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:34 am

Very easy fix. A new freehub takes about 1/2hr to fit. Probably cost about $80 fitted by an LBS, for a basic Shimano freehub + labour. It's probably not worth repairing the old one even if you could.

assarabbiya

Postby assarabbiya » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Thank you Stuey - I should just take it to LBS then, I found some stuff online saying drenching the freehub in WD40 and what not..
Thanks again-
Oh my two-wheeled friend, how I love thee..

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:07 pm

It could be just a lubrication problem where the WD40 trick might work, but commonly the pawls (ratchet parts) inside come adrift. Have a go at the WD40 trick to see - doesn't cost much.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Stuey wrote:It could be just a lubrication problem where the WD40 trick might work, but commonly the pawls (ratchet parts) inside come adrift. Have a go at the WD40 trick to see - doesn't cost much.
+1 Do the easy and cheap things first. If it works then you're ahead, if not then you haven't lost much out of the exercise.

Cheers,

Cameron