Chain slipping when applying pressure

igstar

Chain slipping when applying pressure

Postby igstar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 am

On my running Campag groupset, I replaced the chainrings and chain. Didn't replace the cassette as it looked ok. The chain now slips when I apply decent pressure. I suspect it's because I should replace the cassette whenever replacing the chain (from what I've heard). Is this really the case or could something else be at play?

wqlava1

Re: Chain slipping when applying pressure

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 am

Sounds like the cassette. If it was Shimano, the Rohloff HG/IG check tool ( which I have) is the only test I have seen for whether cassettes are worn. I'd suppose that given how it works, it would give a good indication for Campagnolo as well. You can come over and check it if interested enough in knowing rather than guessing. The cassette has to still be on a wheel in order to use the tool. I have found that if I change chains when the various Park-like chain checkers say that there is 0.75% wear but not 1% wear, then I get a ratio of a few chains before each cassette. If I leave it till after 1%, the cassette is likely stuffed too and will wear chains quickly. I worked that out in the year after I got the tool and don't really go back to it except to evaluate whether to use secondhand cassettes that come into my ownership and sometimes for others.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Sounds like a worn cassette but you shouldn't need to replace cassette and chain at same time unless you ride with worn chain for a very long time. I replace 3 or 4 chains before I need to replace cassette. My bike is Shimano but I'm sure Campy would be similar.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:59 am

I've just had this exact same issue. Over 9000km on the cassette and just installed the 4th chain on the bike with this cassette over the weekend. I was hoping that cassette wasn't too worn but it slips any time I get out of the saddle. Just need to get 24km home this arvo in one piece and then I'll swap it. Wishful thinking to get more km out of it ;).

Does anyone know any cheap sources for the Rohloff cassette wear tool?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:01 pm

Boognoss wrote: Does anyone know any cheap sources for the Rohloff cassette wear tool?
$37 posted if you search on the US ebay, or $18 plus the 20 euro postage for a parcel at Bike24. Both cheaper than when I got mine from the NZ Rohloff distributor 3-4 years ago. AU prices are quite high for all Rohloff stuff.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Ross wrote:Sounds like a worn cassette but you shouldn't need to replace cassette and chain at same time unless you ride with worn chain for a very long time. I replace 3 or 4 chains before I need to replace cassette. My bike is Shimano but I'm sure Campy would be similar.
Good advice from Ross, I'll add to it that 3-4 chains from a cassette is a perfectly reasonable expectation on the basis that you replace the chains at about 0.50-0.75mm of stretch and keep everything well maintained.

If you run the chain well past the recommended replacement point it will ruin your cassette and chainrings in which case you might be up for the whole lot after only one chain.

Its the chain that wears the gears - keep the chain fresh and the gears will last a very long time.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:20 pm

wqlava1 wrote:
Boognoss wrote: Does anyone know any cheap sources for the Rohloff cassette wear tool?
$37 posted if you search on the US ebay, or $18 plus the 20 euro postage for a parcel at Bike24. Both cheaper than when I got mine from the NZ Rohloff distributor 3-4 years ago. AU prices are quite high for all Rohloff stuff.
Thanks, I've seen expensive prices locally. I'll keep an eye out although the "slip test" (patent pending :mrgreen: ) has been a good indication for me so far today.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Boognoss wrote:...... the "slip test" (patent pending :mrgreen: ) has been a good indication for me so far today.
The value in the Rohloff cassette cog tool for me was teaching me which cogs were about to slip (by testing them as they wore from iffy to the point of slipping over a period of months) and being able to correlate it back to rules of thumb for myself about how to use the information from the chain checking guage. The chain checkers have been maligned for their absolute readings maybe quite rightly, and there have been posts here about the various gradations of pin wear and how they are imperfectly measured with the cheap checkers from Park and their imitators (dunno if Park are an imitator too!). However it doesn't really matter if the absolute theoretical value is right, it's sufficient to have a practical way of working out when your chain is a bit less worn than will stuff the cogs whilst not throwing away a chain that hasn't been used much yet . Knowing when to change chains to minimise TCO (total cost of ownership) is the aim that we all have. The chain checker is the predictive tool that you want to get right.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:05 pm

wqlava1 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:...... the "slip test" (patent pending :mrgreen: ) has been a good indication for me so far today.
The value in the Rohloff cassette cog tool for me was teaching me which cogs were about to slip (by testing them as they wore from iffy to the point of slipping over a period of months) and being able to correlate it back to rules of thumb for myself about how to use the information from the chain checking guage. The chain checkers have been maligned for their absolute readings maybe quite rightly, and there have been posts here about the various gradations of pin wear and how they are imperfectly measured with the cheap checkers from Park and their imitators (dunno if Park are an imitator too!). However it doesn't really matter if the absolute theoretical value is right, it's sufficient to have a practical way of working out when your chain is a bit less worn than will stuff the cogs whilst not throwing away a chain that hasn't been used much yet . Knowing when to change chains to minimise TCO (total cost of ownership) is the aim that we all have. The chain checker is the predictive tool that you want to get right.
Good point/s. I only have a cheapie BBB chain checker and if a chain is worn to 0.75% on that I'll swap it rather than waiting until 1%. This is the first slipping cassette I've had so I have probably been discarding previous cassettes prematurely. Even then I don't really know.

Definitely going to check for the Rohloff whenever I'm ordering other items. Or just cave and use Ebay, etc. ;)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 am

New cassette on the commuter for today and it's perfect again :)