XDS?

wizdofaus

XDS?

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:32 am

Went to the bike shop yesterday and the guy actually managed to convince me I didn't need to spend over 2K (which I was willing to do) for my first decent road bike (been riding hybrids for the last 10 years), and suggested an XDS which I did rather like the look of. Pretty sure it's this one: http://www.xdsbicycles.com.au/XDS-Produ ... -blue.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Only problem is there's almost nothing on the web about people's experiences with XDS bikes so I've no idea if it's a good buy or not...anyone had an experience with these? The other one he suggested was a Giant that was marked down from 3.9K to 2.6, but frankly I didn't care for the look of it too much - only really plus for me was the electronic shifters.
Last edited by wizdofaus on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bentnose

Re: XDS?

Postby Bentnose » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 am

Yeah a lot of bike shops recommend "the right bike for you is, whatever we have in stock". Even worse is when these bikes are not even the right size for you and they want to sell them to you anyway. Your best bet is to go on bicycle exchange as starting point and look at what is available in your price range and do some research into what you would like on your bike. Also pays to look at some online fit calculators to get an idea of what size you should be.
No signature

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 am

Bentnose wrote:Yeah a lot of bike shops recommend "the right bike for you is, whatever we have in stock". Even worse is when these bikes are not even the right size for you and they want to sell them to you anyway. Your best bet is to go on bicycle exchange as starting point and look at what is available in your price range and do some research into what you would like on your bike. Also pays to look at some online fit calculators to get an idea of what size you should be.
This guy seemed pretty good generally, he knows (I hope) I've been a customer there for a while and probably will be for some time. He was honest that the reason the price was good on the XDS was that a) they ordered too many and b) it's not a bike with 'bragging rights' because people don't know the name. They sound like two perfectly good reasons to get better value for money to me! Honestly my only concern is that I'm not happy with the bike after 2 or 3 years if I keep my current level of improvement/seriousness up. Any bike around the 2K mark is going to be a big step up from what I've been riding.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:36 am

The wheels let it down a bit - I don't think that Aksiums are "right" for a bike with Ultegra.

And the weight? :shock:

13kg? :shock: :shock: :shock:

What have they filled the frame with to get a carbon bike to 13kg? That is a heavy sucker!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:47 am

JustJames wrote:The wheels let it down a bit - I don't think that Aksiums are "right" for a bike with Ultegra.

And the weight? :shock:

13kg? :shock: :shock: :shock:

What have they filled the frame with to get a carbon bike to 13kg? That is a heavy sucker!
Can't say it felt heavy! But I'll definitely ask him about something with better wheels and see if there's not something a bit lighter. How much extra is it worth paying for electronic shifters?

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 pm

I'd say $0 for electronic shifters.

Not because I have anything bad to say about them - I don't - but simply because in the near future (2-3 years) it will start to become the norm.

But if being an early adopter is your bag, fill your boots!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 pm

I didn't notice the 13kg weight, crikey, that's heavier than my steel MTB, by quite a way, surely its a misprint.
No signature

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:30 pm

13kgs has to be wrong. my alloy flat bar with EVERYTHING on it weighs 12.7kgs
either that or it has lead weight for ballast

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Maybe it's weighed with full bidons? :p
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

wizdofaus

Trek Domane (was Re: XDS?)

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 am

Now looking at the Trek Domane 4.3 instead...

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/ro ... omane_4_3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JustJames

Re: Trek Domane (was Re: XDS?)

Postby JustJames » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:28 pm

wizdofaus wrote:Now looking at the Trek Domane 4.3 instead...

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/ro ... omane_4_3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That (lack of) colour scheme :roll: (where is the puking smiley?)

Not a big fan of stealthy colour schemes, I'm afraid, although I know some folks love them.

For me, the XDS is a much nicer looking bike. The paper spec is better too.

But I don't need to ride it. 8)

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:59 pm

JustJames wrote:

Not a big fan of stealthy colour schemes, I'm afraid, although I know some folks love them.

At least there are actually reviews of the Trek online, and even pro riders who use it. There's just nothing for the XDS. I like the look of both, tiny lean towards the XDS. What about the 'paper spec' makes the XDS better...Ultegra vs 105?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm

I hadn't heard of XDS bikes before but i've seen a few XDS carbon wheels and from what i've heard they are good. A LBS has them and they don't stock any rubbish there.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:19 pm

wizdofaus wrote:
JustJames wrote:

At least there are actually reviews of the Trek online, and even pro riders who use it. There's just nothing for the XDS. I like the look of both, tiny lean towards the XDS. What about the 'paper spec' makes the XDS better...Ultegra vs 105?
Yep.

Reviews other than of the "riding this bike feels like being carried along by angels while nymphs caress your brow" or "this bike will kill you stone dead and lay waste your estate" nature are largely meaningless.

If you like the look of the bike and it fits well, you'll enjoy riding it.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:08 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I hadn't heard of XDS bikes before but i've seen a few XDS carbon wheels and from what i've heard they are good. A LBS has them and they don't stock any rubbish there.
They're a frame manufacturer who have done these for Cell Bikes in Sydney, Melbourne Bike Centre, Polygon in Indonesia and possibly Apollo and Malvern Star here in Oz amongst others, but commercial secrecy means you'll never got confirmation.

My carbon roadie is the MBC house brand 105 and it's fine. :-)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:18 pm

clackers wrote: They're a frame manufacturer who have done these for Cell Bikes in Sydney
I thought they looked familiar, confirms my suspicion that they are what would be described as 'cookie cutter' brand. Not that there's anything wrong with that. From the googling i've done they don't appear to be as cheap as Cell though.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Looks like now option #3 is the Malvern Star C6 - http://www.malvernstar.com.au/range/bike-3008.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seem to have pretty good reviews.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm yet to hear a bad word about the new Malvern Stars. I actually pulled the trigger on a 2010 model C7 frame today :D .