Wheels for the heavy(ish) rider

macca33

Re: Wheels for the heavy(ish) rider

Postby macca33 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:55 pm

antipodean wrote:
macca33 wrote: I had my LBS fit a new cassette
You actually paid someone to do that?
Well, seeing as I don't have the proper tool, yep, I had them spin it on whilst they were truing some of my other wheels.

I recently changed over and tuned brakes, gear shifters and F & R derailleurs to upgrade my MTB so have a bit of technical 'nouse;' unfortunately, without a chain whip and cassette locking nut / tool (which I hardly consider to be necessities), I had to defer to the bike shop. We're not all legends in our own lunchbox.... :lol:
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:39 pm

brawlo wrote: I actually had a conversation along these lines on the bunchy this morning. So many of the lighter wheelsets these days incorporate lightweight hubs and reduced spoke count with heavier rims. So many people fail to see that a wheelset with more spokes and a lighter rim would actually "feel" lighter on the spinup and in climbing. Market hype......yessiree.
I see this alot with factory built wheels, not that there is anything wrong with it. I've seen both 480g and 380g rims both being built up into 1400g wheelsets, different people want different things (the 480g was supposed to be an aero set with low spoke counts and the 380g were going to be climbing wheels with enough spokes to support the rider). 100g may not seem like alot, but its on the rim and on a set of wheels it becomes 200g. A good example of a heavy rim building up to a similar weight of a much lighter rim is the como wheels you have just bought. They will probably have a rim weight of 550g, compare that to the Open Pro's 435g. Over a set thats 230g of weight differences on the rim but they weigh the same overall. The Como makes up for a lower spoke count with a stiffer, heavier rim. The low spoke count won't hold the wheel in true as well either. IMO its a loose-loose situation.

I think I'm starting to rant :oops:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 pm

My ksyriums where quite happy with drops offs, tree roots & log jumps... even hitting a rock at 40kmph which pinch flatted the front. Still I would love to build up some 32 spoke tubulars as well.
I am heavyish and now haven't broken anything other than a spoke for over 2 years :D .

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Mavic ksyrium rims weigh around 450g, a rim with a similar profile can come in at 380g... While 450g is still light (when you have a semi-aero profile) the Mavic ksyrium has next to no profile, which IMO makes it heavier than it should be. That said the 380g rim I have in mind will probably require a 36 3x lacing to hold up anyone over 85kg...

TDC

Postby TDC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:31 pm

macca33 wrote: unfortunately, without a chain whip and cassette locking nut / tool (which I hardly consider to be necessities)
How do you clean the drivetrain then?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My ksyriums where quite happy with drops offs, tree roots & log jumps... even hitting a rock at 40kmph which pinch flatted the front. Still I would love to build up some 32 spoke tubulars as well.
I am heavyish and now haven't broken anything other than a spoke for over 2 years :D .
:shock:
:D

Cheers,

Cameron

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:08 am

usernameforme wrote:Mavic ksyrium rims weigh around 450g, a rim with a similar profile can come in at 380g... While 450g is still light (when you have a semi-aero profile) the Mavic ksyrium has next to no profile, which IMO makes it heavier than it should be. That said the 380g rim I have in mind will probably require a 36 3x lacing to hold up anyone over 85kg...
Are you sure about those rim weights?... my front wheel only weighs something like 680 grams ( and it isn't one of the light ones,mine has steel spokes, the lighter ones are just over 600 grams ).
Ksyriums seem to have big improvments in the last few years in durability, I would dearly love a pair of tubular ones for cyclocross but my plain old ones will have to do ).

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:11 am

I'm sure about the rim weights, and the quoted weights from manufacturers are NEVER accurate, weigh it yourself(IME mavic Ksyriums generally come in at around 1600g, I haven't seen any of the 2013 ISM-3D ones though...). FWIW its 450g for the clincher version, just in case your thinking about the tubular version...