The joy of cycling

stealthbike

The joy of cycling

Postby stealthbike » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:07 pm

My wife and I have just returned from a five week holiday in Holland and France. :D
We borrowed 'dutch bikes' and did what the locals do, which is to ride everywhere. It was at a liesurely pace and a pure joy. It was so nice to be in the majority as a road user and respected by drivers, we felt completely safe. It was such a pleasant change from my usual perth rides which are on a carbon road bike and when I regularly meet unsafe/selfish behaviour. It also helped me get over my first crash in five years of cycling, when I was taken out by a careless rider on the PSP near the Narrows, two days before I left!
We were so impressd with the infrastructure, the bikes, the scenery, and no helmets required and the flat roads. We have decided to buy similar bikes for riding to the local shops and in our neighbourhood but will continue to commute on our regular bikes. Although, we may find that in time we use our 'dutch bikes' all the time!

It was also interesting to observe how few people cycled in France - quite the opposite of my expectation. I have gained a new perspective of the cycling infrastructure in Perth and have to admit that it is pretty good. :wink:
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

dino1969

Re: The joy of cycling

Postby dino1969 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Welcome back Stealthbike! :wink: Superjealous of your trip....my two passions in one area...great cycling and great food! :mrgreen:
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi, interesting read, can you tell us what and where you have purchased as dutch bikes.
I have seen many "retro dutch" style bikes here that only come with 3 gears. My wife has a interest in one but I know that she will need more gears than this.
I look forward to your reply.
cheers, Dave.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:36 pm

GingaNinja wrote: I have seen many "retro dutch" style bikes here that only come with 3 gears. My wife has a interest in one but I know that she will need more gears than this.
Check out Wembley Cycles (electra), Scarborough beach cycles (all sorts) and Mr Sparrow (papillionaire), just to name a few people who might stock and could obtain multigeared "sensible" bikes.

Also spend some time wandering through the back issues of Bikes for the Rest of Us
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ