bent chainring tooth Sram Red - advice please

schroeds

bent chainring tooth Sram Red - advice please

Postby schroeds » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:09 pm

Had a rather unfortunate meeting with a traffic calming device the other day...which put me in hospital :evil:

Nothing broken, but lots of lost skin (including flattened out nose and chin) and suspect shoulder that the physio will have to deal with.

Anyway, among the carnage is a pretty severely bent chainring tooth. Has anybody any tips/experience with bending them back? Though I may as well give it a whirl before forking out for a new one which I can't afford.

PS kudos to Zipps, my old 404 hit this stupid concrete thing at about 30 km, plenty enough to piledrive me into the asphalt, but the wheel appears not to have been damaged at all :)
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: bent chainring tooth Sram Red - advice please

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Start with prayer to your deity or prophet of choice... :|

A shifting spanner makes a handy tool but hasten slowly, you won't get many chances to get it straight.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:10 am

ok so it's a highly technical process then :shock:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:34 am

Hasten too fast and thy teeth will break
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:02 am

And there is no harm in trying to unbend most things that are broken. Worst that can happen is that you can't straighten it and needed a new one anyway.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 am

well ok then, pep talks over, here I go

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:34 am

Well? :D

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 pm

if its only one or a couple and my mtb is anything to go by, you should be riding fine without that tooth anyways.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm

main thing is that you're not broken. I was lead into a nest of those things by another rider at 45kmh a few years ago. Front wheel Ksyrium was undamaged but I got off the ground with a broken collar bone.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm

schroeds wrote:Had a rather unfortunate meeting with a traffic calming device the other day...which put me in hospital :evil:

Nothing broken, but lots of lost skin (including flattened out nose and chin) and suspect shoulder that the physio will have to deal with.

Anyway, among the carnage is a pretty severely bent chainring tooth. Has anybody any tips/experience with bending them back? Though I may as well give it a whirl before forking out for a new one which I can't afford.

PS kudos to Zipps, my old 404 hit this stupid concrete thing at about 30 km, plenty enough to piledrive me into the asphalt, but the wheel appears not to have been damaged at all :)
I straightened one out on the kids bikes a week ago. I zip tied a screw driver to the frame as a rough gauge and worked it with a shifter - it took about an hour but I got it surprisingly quite straight.

If you do the same you might need some small files to tidy up some of the mashed teeth but you might be able to salvage it. If you have a crack at it you'll soon know if a new ring is required..
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:Well? :D

Still trying to open the tool box. :shock:

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Good news, I've managed to straighten the teeth..actually it was really easy, basic plier work 101

Thanks for the encouragement guys :D Now I just have to heal and get back on the bike.