What have you broken today?

warthog1

What have you broken today?

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Out on a training ride with it, just finished descending a climb at 60+km/h when I noticed the brakes were howling a bit at the end. Pulled up to investigate while we waited for the stragglers and saw the rim was buckled. Found a loose spoke and then saw why.
The front hub flange on my AC 420 front wheel :(

Good thing it didnt do a few more on the way down :o
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: What have you broken today?

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Ooohh. Classic radial hub failure. Have you emailed that pic to AC? I'm sure their R&D people would be interested.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Driving to training this arvo, a training mate was stranded at a traffic light with a broken bike. Gave him a lift home.
He trashed his SRAM Force chainring when taking off from the lights. Lucky he didn't get run over by the car behind, or brake a leg.
The LBS had used pretty blue alloy bolts to hold the chainring to the spider. And these seemed to have failed.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Ooohh. Classic radial hub failure. Have you emailed that pic to AC? I'm sure their R&D people would be interested.
Yeah the front hubs in that model are a bit prone to failure.

Mine failed but had a brand new current model micro58 hub installed for the price of postage one way.

I went through my lbs but the importer and warranty people are Cassons

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 pm

bosvit wrote:Mine failed but had a brand new current model micro58 hub installed for the price of postage one way.

Ahhh, so they know it's a problem. Wonder if the numbers are big enough for a recall?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:19 pm

bosvit wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Ooohh. Classic radial hub failure. Have you emailed that pic to AC? I'm sure their R&D people would be interested.
Yeah the front hubs in that model are a bit prone to failure.

Mine failed but had a brand new current model micro58 hub installed for the price of postage one way.

Just emailed them MB. Good idea :)

Thanks Bosvit. That is an '08 wheel, are the newer hubs stronger?

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 pm

warthog1 wrote:Thanks Bosvit. That is an '08 wheel, are the newer hubs stronger?
I assume so. I have done a lot more km on the new hub than the old hub and no problems.

If you do an internet search you may be able to find it but in the states there was a recall or something similar for front hubs about your era.

I know the new micro58's use different bearings to the old micro58's so if you get your hub replaced, either by paying for it yourself or warranty, remember you will have to buy old 420 bearings for the rear and new 420 bearings for the front.

Personally I would get it fixed as they are great wheels for their money and sadly your are currently worthless. Even if you plan to sell them and buy something else it will most likely be worth your while to fix them.

At least your hub is black, mine was silver and they no longer make silver so I have a black front hub and a silver rear hub which will demand a few questions if I ever go to sell them.

Also it is under $200 to get a brand new rim replacement, including fitting so they are not overly expensive to keep going long term either.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 pm

bosvit wrote: I assume so. I have done a lot more km on the new hub than the old hub and no problems.

If you do an internet search you may be able to find it but in the states there was a recall or something similar for front hubs about your era.

I know the new micro58's use different bearings to the old micro58's so if you get your hub replaced, either by paying for it yourself or warranty, remember you will have to buy old 420 bearings for the rear and new 420 bearings for the front.

Personally I would get it fixed as they are great wheels for their money and sadly your are currently worthless. Even if you plan to sell them and buy something else it will most likely be worth your while to fix them.

At least your hub is black, mine was silver and they no longer make silver so I have a black front hub and a silver rear hub which will demand a few questions if I ever go to sell them.

Also it is under $200 to get a brand new rim replacement, including fitting so they are not overly expensive to keep going long term either.
Thanks, I'll run it in to the LBS for a new one.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm

winstonw wrote:Driving to training this arvo, a training mate was stranded at a traffic light with a broken bike. Gave him a lift home.
He trashed his SRAM Force chainring when taking off from the lights. Lucky he didn't get run over by the car behind, or brake a leg.
The LBS had used pretty blue alloy bolts to hold the chainring to the spider. And these seemed to have failed.

Ouch :o

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 pm

Trueing up a rear wheel today and broke a spoke, luckily I had a replacement:)
Decided to ride my tt bike to work today for the first time in 12 months ( that hurt). Stood up on a hill a bang goes a front spoke in my whr550 (tossed the rear years ago due serial spoke breakages) don't have a spare spoke for it and given it only has 16 I'll be taking it easy on the way home.
I'm running out of front wheels pretty quickly now. :(