Segment King and Queen.

Baldy

Segment King and Queen.

Postby Baldy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 am

How many Strava segments have you created that are active.

I have 2. I deleted a handfull of others that were on bike paths or had self created.

Step forth and collect your crowns oh prolific ones! 8)

bychosis

Re: Segment King and Queen.

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:01 am

Only 2 public ones created and 2 private (full commute each way). I am a late comer to Strava so most of the routes I ride have already got segments. There is another that I ride infrequently that I will create each way next time I ride. The first one I created got me a KOM using my history of rides that have been uploaded. I'm unlikely to ever get another KOM either.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

booge

Postby booge » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 am

I assume you have to be a premium member to be able to create segments?? I use the free Strava.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am

I think I've created 4 or 5. I hold the KOM for one of them (by 1 second, and it's 1600km away...)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 am

I've created five to date but given I'm located just to the east of BumTruckNowhere...there'll no doubt be a few more to come. Any Stravacyple can create a segment...premium or otherwise.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 am

booge wrote:I assume you have to be a premium member to be able to create segments?? I use the free Strava.
I've created four on the free account. I've been on Strava for about a year and a half and I was frustrated early on by the lack of longer segments so made I one that covered about two thirds of my commute between a couple of logical landmarks. We've moved office since so now I have to go an extra k to finish it!

Another is a nice little hill that ends in a cul de sac. You have to ride across a park to get too or from it but it gets you off a busy narrow road that connects some of our so-called Sunset Coast Ride paths. I'm KOM on that one, bit of a hollow victory though as only four people have ridden it in it's history.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:58 am

Yes anyone can create segments but you have to be mindful of safety.

I tend to limit my segment to sections of road/track that don't have stop signs or traffic lights. If you create a segment that contains lights then someone could flag it as being dangerous with the justification that it encourages riders to run yellow/red lights in order to get a better time. The one exception to this is private segments - I have created two of these for my commute in and out, so I can keep track of my progress with the "My results" section in the segment view.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:47 pm

bychosis wrote:...and 2 private (full commute each way).
Thanks for the idea :)

Andrew

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Nah, I've got a few... but mostly in relation to cycling I prefer to steal other people's segments...

I hold 50 QOM's, had a few taken since I moved to Perth :)

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:25 pm

I have created 22 segments, mostly in places where I ride regularly so I can keep tabs on how I'm travelling

I guess this is my most famous one (for the Canberrans) Canberra Commuter Cup - Straight Line Speed :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:34 pm

I have been getting two or three KOM's a week according to veloviewer website ... People are making there own sub cat 4 segments thinking they have done well only to find a race has also gone over the same climb 10kmph quicker :-) .
Strava has been getting more popular here and some very strong riders are claiming all the biggies now :-) ... That's the problem living in an area lots of young pros like coming to live in :-) .

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 pm

I dunno what a was smoking when I posted this but I have 6 segments :lol:

http://app.strava.com/athletes/16495/segments/created" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Is that page viewable ?

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Do a river loop in Brisbane and you have about 60 segments plus on the ride .... Had one ride around the bay with 140 segments ..... It's getting ridiculous now and out of hands.
Hold 45 KOM and keep getting rides flagged for taking them from other riders :shock: particularly from a couple in the area I live in ..... They taking all the fun away from it .... Looks like I'll be switching back to my garmin connect and training peaks