Road Bike Dilema

HoldYaLine

Road Bike Dilema

Postby HoldYaLine » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm

Hey guys, first post on the forum,

I have a dilemma, i have 4 grand to drop on a new road bike and i have two i am looking at

The Giant TCR Avanced 0 (Ultegra di2 Non aero) - 3500, (usually 4 grand but i got a deal at a local bike shop)

The Trek Madone 5.2 (Ultegra Mechanical - very aero - 3,500

So the question is aero and mechanical ultegra or non aero and di2

Any responses would be appreciated thanks

Josh

JustJames

Re: Road Bike Dilema

Postby JustJames » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Non aero Di2.

Di2 is the future.

Aero is only relevant if you're planning on TT'ing.

If you have to ask whether you need to be more aero, you prolly don't need to.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 pm

Di2 is great, much more useful!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:23 pm

Can you explain what makes one bike aero and the other not and how this will effect the ride?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:52 pm

I have Di2 on my race bike and I must be in the minority but when I replace this bike it will be with 11sp Mechanical Shimano.

Initially I thought WOW, this is great. Since then I have grown to dislike the lack of feel in the buttons, its also heavy compared to the current mechanical equilivants.

I do like that you never have to change or adjust cables and you don't have to do any manual trimming on the FD which is about the only benefits I can think of. The battery placement is plain ugly unless you spend the money to have it fitted inside the frame which then adds charging complexity unless you goto the further expense of an external charging port.

Yes it will change gears under a lot of load but this isn't something I do anyway, and if done it is at the expense of your driveline components.

Overall for me anyway electronic is hardly a game changer, it offers no performance advantage and given the price premium over mechanical with limited resources I'd put the saved dollars into other components like a better frame/wheel combo.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

boss

Postby boss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 pm

I have a 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 and it's an amazing bike. The 2013 ones look real nice with internal brakes.

HoldYaLine

Postby HoldYaLine » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:09 am

thanks guys, will probably be going non aero di2 (TCR advanced 0 2013). I felt like aero wasn't needed. Just need a light bike that shifts nicely. does anyone have experience with Tcr advanced bikes? I am going to test ride it soon but do any of you have opinions on the line or any other reccomendations?