You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

BRLVR.v2

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Agreed. Frame looks pretty low end. Pressed Drop outs and a bolt on RD hanger. Salvage the good parts for a better frame.

Skeez

Postby Skeez » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:01 pm

This is my first post, so ill throw up some pictures when I can.
I have a Ricardo vivaSport fixie. Had the bike laying around at my house, decided to fix and and got addicted to fixie rush.
Then I found a crack in the frame so I have just bought a Shimano Aero Frame.
I have no idea who made the frame, buts it has Shimano Aero stickers on it, seems to be late 70's, it still has the old style crank arms.
Im going to clean it up a bit more before I post a pic, Im looking to make this bike fixie too but Im afraid of destroying a collectable/decent bike just to thrash around town on. :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:51 am

Sounds like it could be interesting, i'm keen to see the pics.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

grantw wrote:Strada 10's weren't known for their lightness and were pretty ordinary bikes for the time. As I remember they did have a huge gap around between the wheels and frame - they shipped with those silly small mudguards - and had head stem mounted gear levers and suicide brake levers with wobbly and weak sidepull brakes. I would be taking the nicer parts off it and looking for another frame. As it stands the superbe brakes, the arabesque levers and the sugino triple crank are a good start.
Thanks everyone for the feedback - it was great to borrow your expertise. So I get the situation - good parts, junk frame. I'm not too disappointed I suppose as clearly that wheel gap was going to create an issue (I'm surprised the owner that upgraded it with this level of gear tolerated it).

So what sorts of frames would be 'worthy' of the parts? BTW - I pulled off the bar tape and the handlebars. They are really scratched but I can make out 'Alps Industrial Company' on the logo. They are aluminium - weigh 200g. Also, are you sure they are arabesque levers (there wasn't a clear pic of them, but I've added one below)? They look like plain ones to me.

Just as an aside, I picked up another frame with this bike (along with yet another that would make a good boat anchor). It's a Morrison (I'm sure this guy was a Kiwi, tossing out a Morrison and an Avanti on the same day). After having a look it's probably even lower spec than the Avanti, and I'm pretty sure the chainstays are bent (see pics) unless this is a very quirky design feature. Seems suitable for the next council clean-up - anyone disagree? Came with Suntour stem shifters and dia-compe brakes.

So this all leaves me with a bit of a problem. It would seem that if I get a frame of a similar level as these parts, then I will have a 'mongrel', albeit a nice one. This wouldn't worry me too much as I am initially looking to just ride the thing, but I'm sure it would then have no resale value (purist would be looking for original equipment and to others it would just be an old bike). Also, I don't really have any spare time to be tinkering endlessly in the shed (in fact, I don't even have a shed). So I'm wondering whether I'd just be better off selling the nice bits to put toward a complete bike (either something of this vintage or maybe 90's).

Any advice welcome, also I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a decent frame they want to sell or if there is interest in the parts.

Thanks

Joe

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:42 pm

The stays aren't bent. It has been stamped in order to allow for the chainset to occupy the space...same goes for the inside except this is for the wheels. Tight clearances...might be OK. Need more pics!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Joe wrote:
Also, are you sure they are arabesque levers (there wasn't a clear pic of them, but I've added one below)? They look like plain ones to me.

My bad, I got confused with the photos of the other black bike over in the Paconi thread. It has arabesque levers, those are later models and are very serviceable.

As for worthy frames? Keep an eye out from frames with Reynolds tubes, or Tange double butted stuff, - better quality frames ususally have cast dropouts as opposed to pressed ones and brazeon cable guides.

Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:10 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:The stays aren't bent. It has been stamped in order to allow for the chainset to occupy the space...same goes for the inside except this is for the wheels. Tight clearances...might be OK. Need more pics!
Here are some more pics.

I haven't weighed it but I'm guessing it's around 3+kg with forks and BB installed.

Thanks

Joe

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

IMO, no better than the Avanti frame. Which is not to say they are rubbish, just wouldn't expect them to be anything special. Looks aren't everything though, my favourite bike looks similar (pressed dropouts etc) and it's an absolute ripper.

Skeez

Postby Skeez » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:49 pm

photo sharing

upload picture

photo sharing websites

I cant find any serial number or stamp on it, except for a love heart under the bottom bracket.
Some flicking around on the net says it might be Tange frame with all the Shimano trimmings?
Has Sakae bars and Tourney brakes.

Heres my other two oldies
upload photo

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Skeez wrote:Image
photo sharing

upload picture

photo sharing websites

I cant find any serial number or stamp on it, except for a love heart under the bottom bracket.
Some flicking around on the net says it might be Tange frame with all the Shimano trimmings?
Has Sakae bars and Tourney brakes.
Saw that recently on Gumtree/ebay??

It's low end POS Clunker frame. Not one of the rarer Aero bikes you see from time to time on the net.

The one in this link is the real deal http://vintagewheeler.blogspot.com.au/2 ... de-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; unfortunately yours is not one of those.

Skeez

Postby Skeez » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:23 pm

ahhh cheers mate. Probably for the best, now I can rip it apart and feel no guilt.
$25 bucks ride away, still the most ive paid for a bike in a while but im happy with that.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Yep what BRLVR said, i've actually got a frame like that, just some anonymous low end thing that someone put a bunch of Shimano stickers on. Has a Tange Hi-Ten sticker on the seat tube which may or not mean anything.

Skeez

Postby Skeez » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Is it ironic if i have a Shimano frame and ride with no brakes/gears/shimano components. Probably just dumb.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Skeez, if you've never done a re-build of an older bike, have a shot on this one, yep it may not be a super frame or the greatest lightest bike in the world, but it owes you bugger all.

I've got a Repco Vantage & a Malvern Star Kenetic, both touring bikes, both pretty plain & 'nothing' bikes, but I use both to commute, both pretty reliable, both would owe me less than $400, both are ready to do the daily commute on any day, if I got run over or if someone nicked either, I'm not down too much. They've both provided fairly cheap & fairly reliable transport. You don't have to spend a million bucks, those early touring models are pretty un-attractive to the local bike thief's & usually fairly comfy to ride.

Just another twist on the theme, if it ain't broke or bent then it may be worth a little effort, never know, have a bit of fun with it, give it a little love & some elbow grease, when/if you tire of it you can stick it up on eblag & may make a shekel or 2 profit.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 am

Just some brief feedback on the ride-qual of the Pegasus mentioned a few days back. Have commuted from Hornsby to Mt Kuring-gai twice this week. Not a difficult commute, though pretty much uphill to work. Immediate comparison is to the late 90s LeMond (TREK). The Pegasus feels lighter/springier. Am assuming the geometry is a bit more responsive, though with that comes extra caution required. Without measuring.. fork angle, trail etc. must be different. But boy, does it soak up the rough stuff. Lifting off the saddle on some of Hornsby Council's rougher patches.... I can feel the difference; soaks it up. Even though the LeMond is CroMo D/B.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Jim Bundy Reynolds 531 57.5 seat tube
Athena 11 speed Ultra Torque
Chorus levers
Ambrosio Excellence rims
Chorus hubs
Veloflex Master 23 tyres
Record headset
Cinelli 1A stem
Cinelli Giro D'italia bars
C Record seat post
Brooks Team Professional Seat
Brooks leather bar tape
Elite bidon cages
Looking forward to long rides,
Peter
Last edited by humanbeing on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

munga

Postby munga » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm

humanbeing wrote:
Jim Bundy Reynolds 531
Peter
no doubt. sheeza beauty! building a nice stable there, mate!

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 pm

munga wrote:
humanbeing wrote:
Jim Bundy Reynolds 531
Peter
no doubt. sheeza beauty! building a nice stable there, mate!
Ta, anyone want to buy a 2009 BMC Streetfire - one in one out :D
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm

humanbeing wrote:Image

Jim Bundy Reynolds 531 57.5 seat tube
Athena 11 speed Ultra Torque
Chorus levers
Amrrosio Excellence rims
Chorus hubs
Veloflex Master 23 tyres
Record headset
Cinelli 1A stem
Cinelli Giro D'italia bars
C Record seat post
Brooks Team Professional Seat
Brooks leather bar tape
Elite bidon cages
Peter
Great build! I've got something very similar planned. Once I find the right frame.

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Maroubra Beach 5.45am 5/11/2012
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 pm

humanbeing wrote:Maroubra Beach 5.45am 5/11/2012
Stop teasing 8)

seddo

Postby seddo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 am

Won the frame on a ebay auction, the seller was Warren Meade who writes retro articles for RIDE magazine.The story behind the frame was it was originally owned by two brothers in Melbourne who import(or use to import) ASSOS sportswear?. The brothers knew Eddy Merckx and would bring him to Australia for promotions from time to time. The frame itself is ? a professional model and was sent to the Merckx factory to be repainted in the 86 Panasonic team colours. The frame wears a 83 Campagnolo Super Record gruppo and Velocity razors laced to Campagnolo Record hubs, Super Record fluted seat post and panto'ed stem.

The frame has usual wear and tear so it will be a rider maybe L'eroica :roll:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:41 am

Nice.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 am

seddo wrote:Image

Won the frame on a ebay auction, the seller was Warren Meade who writes retro articles for RIDE magazine.The story behind the frame was it was originally owned by two brothers in Melbourne who import(or use to import) ASSOS sportswear?. The brothers knew Eddy Merckx and would bring him to Australia for promotions from time to time. The frame itself is ? a professional model and was sent to the Merckx factory to be repainted in the 86 Panasonic team colours. The frame wears a 83 Campagnolo Super Record gruppo and Velocity razors laced to Campagnolo Record hubs, Super Record fluted seat post and panto'ed stem.

The frame has usual wear and tear so it will be a rider maybe L'eroica :roll:
Beautiful bike Seddo, fantastic story as well. Thanks.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:00 pm

beautiful, seddo. tell us about the brake block holders.