Date my Malvern Star

mrborg

Date my Malvern Star

Postby mrborg » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi there!

First post, please be gentle!

I've been browsing and browsing the forums trying to date my Malvern Star, and can't seem to pinpoint which model it is.
I think it may be from the 70s, but would love some extra help from those with a keen eye for the detail and little expertise than me.

Cheers.

elantra

Re: Date my Malvern Star

Postby elantra » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:59 pm

I think it is late 50's or early 60's, judging by the very laid back seat tube angle and the bolts joining the chainstays and seatstays.
The frame looks a bit like an old postie's bike.
It certainly is now a good looker with the restoration that (you?) have done.

The Brooks saddle and alloy quill stem are nice touches.
Congratulations.

mrborg

Postby mrborg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 pm

elantra wrote:I think it is late 50's or early 60's, judging by the very laid back seat tube angle and the bolts joining the chainstays and seatstays.
The frame looks a bit like an old postie's bike.
It certainly is now a good looker with the restoration that (you?) have done.

The Brooks saddle and alloy quill stem are nice touches.
Congratulations.
Cool, thanks for that! I'll have a look into models from those periods, see If I can point which one it may be.

Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to restore a bike, it was a custom build put together by the guys at Mottanai Cycles in Fitzroy, Melbourne. They did a great job!

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:45 pm

I forgot to mention that i think your Alloy Quill stem is a little bit too high out of the frame.

I suggest that you get that checked at the bike shop.

That is a part of the bike that must not be allowed to be improperly adjusted.
And the Allen Key bolt at the top of the Quill stem needs to be tight enough or even worse things happen :shock:

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 pm

The frame looks to be from the 50s/60s

The fork seems to be a ring in. It looks like hi-ten 27" racer fork from the 70s/80s.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 pm

rkelsen wrote:The frame looks to be from the 50s/60s

The fork seems to be a ring in. It looks like hi-ten 27" racer fork from the 70s/80s.
+1. And as elantra said, the stem looks very high, make sure the minimum insertion mark isn't showing. Looks good though, i bet it's a comfortable ride :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mrborg

Postby mrborg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies! The fork being from the 70s/80s would explain why I'm having trouble pin pointing a model. Most of the other parts are from the 80s, excluding the frame.

As for the stem, yes it does seem a little too high, I checked the markings and it seems that it's just sitting on the line, but might look into getting it lowered. I

Cheers!

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 pm

Damn. Looking at the title, I thought I was in for some action with a two wheeled friend.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Stuey wrote:Damn. Looking at the title, I thought I was in for some action with a two wheeled friend.
forget it, everybody's had a ride :lol:
Phil

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:53 pm

Can you let us know the frame number. It may be on the right hand chainstay, near where the back wheel bolts in.
If it has a plastic star glued or pinned on the front, it is early 1970's or later. Bolt on seatstays would make it late 1960's or earlier. Its a bit confusing, as others have said, the forks are later Japan or Taiwan replacements.
Warren

mrborg

Postby mrborg » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:57 pm

bicyclepassion wrote:Can you let us know the frame number. It may be on the right hand chainstay, near where the back wheel bolts in.
If it has a plastic star glued or pinned on the front, it is early 1970's or later. Bolt on seatstays would make it late 1960's or earlier. Its a bit confusing, as others have said, the forks are later Japan or Taiwan replacements.
Warren
Alrighty, so the number is '92846' which may or may not mean anything. Any insight would be appreciated!

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 am

Was that number located on the chainstay?
Is it a plastic star on the front?
Your number 92846 is similiar to a Malvern Star Skidstar GT (mark 1) in my collection. I think this puts your frame at about 1971.
Warren

mrborg

Postby mrborg » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

bicyclepassion wrote:Was that number located on the chainstay?
Is it a plastic star on the front?
Your number 92846 is similiar to a Malvern Star Skidstar GT (mark 1) in my collection. I think this puts your frame at about 1971.
Warren
Numbers were located on the chainstay, and the star is plastic!

tricycleboy

Postby tricycleboy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 am

Have no idea for the date of your bike. Want to get mine dated also, looks very similar. my number at the chain stay is 10947
can anyone help me upload photos. i'm new at all this (but I'm in twentys, just not a computer guy)
thank you