Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:54 am

Good to finally see that Adelaide City Council have decided in their wisdom to replace the path in the southern parklands between Porter Street and Pultney Street. That path was like the old axe that had so many patch ups over the time that there wasn't anything of the original left.

The only problem now is the snail pace that the Council work at. I would say that they are a couple of weeks in already and still not 50% of the way there. It might be taking so long as true to form they are possibly running a new sewer under the path and they are planning to put access hatches every 5 meters.

If this is any indication of how long the millions allocated to upgrades is going to take the contractors have a good decade of work lined up for them.

Cheers

Stinky
User avatar
Sir Stinkalot
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: Parkside - South Australia

by BNA » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:43 pm

BNA
 

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Biffidus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Decades? I think that you are underestimating how much the contractors will charge for their time...

But it is good to see the bike paths getting some attention.
User avatar
Biffidus
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: RADelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:56 am

Funny, I had the same thought. I commented to my wife that a small group of us should do the Guerrilla Gardeners thing and hijack the equipment over the weekend, do the entire path ready for the asphalt and say nothing. She, as is often the case, suggested that the Police might want to get involved. I figured, wear the khaki's, reflective vest, steel caps and a brimmed hat, have two or three people leaning on a shovel and look like you're there to do the job and no-one will take any notice.

Now for the painful wait for the second half of the path.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Considering most of the opinions and whining about ACC infrastructure comes from those who don't reside in the city or pay rates to contribute to it, I'd say you should just be grateful for whatever happens as an improvement. With the money that's being funneled into all the other big ticket capital works projects of late(mall/vic square/Rundle st) this is a bonus for cyclists.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:00 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Considering most of the opinions and whining about ACC infrastructure comes from those who don't reside in the city or pay rates to contribute to it, I'd say you should just be grateful for whatever happens as an improvement. With the money that's being funneled into all the other big ticket capital works projects of late(mall/vic square/Rundle st) this is a bonus for cyclists.


Are you one of the 'workers'? We may not live in the city, some may have the opinion that the ACC, on the most part, shouldn't exist at all. We are all grateful that something has been initiated (finally). We would, however, like the ACC to have the paths designed and constructed to take the weight of their vehicles that use them as access paths.

BTW, we may not live in the city, but our taxes go to supporting the ACC (yes, the state Govt gives $$ to the ACC for these types of works) and we spend money there on a regular basis because most of us work in the city.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I'd gladly give a few hours on a semi regular basis if it meant that a few things were done to improve the facilities in the parklands (or even help with the landscaping etc). It would bring back some community spirit and give some people more pride in their city.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:14 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Considering most of the opinions and whining about ACC infrastructure comes from those who don't reside in the city or pay rates to contribute to it, I'd say you should just be grateful for whatever happens as an improvement.


You are correct that I am no longer a rate payer to ACC. My office however is within ACC and as stated a lot of this money comes from state taxes.

The path isn't only for cyclists and was becoming dangerous for any user of the path. Despite my initial dig at the quality of the path the main issue is the speed that these projects progress.

Replacing a path through a park (no traffic control) really isn't rocket science. The heavy machinery that they have sits around idle for much of the time costing additional dollars and preventing it being used on other projects. Although if they are private contractors then that is their own business. When they finish the second section they are currently working on they will need to replete the process again whilst they join the two sections.

Without knowing the exact details of each contract ACC would want to be getting a good deal as the time taken to complete projects doesn't seem to match typical construction timeframe expectations.

Do I sense an ACC worker?
User avatar
Sir Stinkalot
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: Parkside - South Australia

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Sir Stinkalot wrote:Replacing a path through a park (no traffic control) really isn't rocket science. The heavy machinery that they have sits around idle for much of the time costing additional dollars and preventing it being used on other projects. Although if they are private contractors then that is their own business. When they finish the second section they are currently working on they will need to replete the process again whilst they join the two sections.

Without knowing the exact details of each contract ACC would want to be getting a good deal as the time taken to complete projects doesn't seem to match typical construction timeframe expectations.


Here, here! Since a significant portion of the equipment is emblazoned with Martellco livery the only winners here are the hire company. It's now around 3 weeks since the first patch of this 400m path was disrupted. Get a pipeline crew on board and you'll have the entire path completed within 2-3 days. If those crews can lay km's of pipe each day, they can lay a path through a patch of trees in no time flat. It's embarrassing to see the concrete laid and cured at the northern end of the path before the asphalt has been laid on the southern section. Someone's backside needs a good kick. Don't these people realise that by getting the jobs done means that they will be kept in work because there is more confidence in the annual budget. By dragging the chain it only hurts their reputation and, in the longer term, their jobs.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:03 am

YAWN.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Dahondude » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Hats off to the ACC if you ask me. In the last few years they have sealed a section of gravel bike path between the crnr of Greenhill and King William and the tennis courts, put in a few new gutter ramps, they look to be putting in new gutter ramps at the crnr of Pultney and South Terrace and some road markings suggest they are going to paint one of those big green bike boxes on the road so bikes can legally sit in front of traffic heading north.
Yes progress is slow, but at least its been more or less continuous. Rode past the old Adelaide Gaol on Sunday and there is a new bit of parklands being developed on the other side of Port Road with some nice looking bike paths into the west parklands. This will allow an almost complete circumnavigation of the city on bike paths/shared paths all within the parklands.
Image
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed
User avatar
Dahondude
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:05 am

Dahondude wrote: This will allow an almost complete circumnavigation of the city on bike paths/shared paths all within the parklands.

Bonython upgrade.
That's the overall plan I believe.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Dahondude wrote:sealed a section of gravel bike path between the crnr of Greenhill and King William and the tennis courts, put in a few new gutter ramps, they look to be putting in new gutter ramps at the crnr of Pultney and South Terrace and some road markings suggest they are going to paint one of those big green bike boxes on the road so bikes can legally sit in front of traffic heading north.


The bike boxes are done. One of the next ones in the grand plan is to convert O'Connell St so that there is one lane for busses and bikes and one lane for traffic.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:YAWN.


Don't yawn too loud, you'll fall off your shovel with all of that smugness.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Roinik wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:YAWN.


Don't yawn too loud, you'll fall off your shovel with all of that smugness.


LOL :lol:


Yeah I am an employee (corporation mule), not in construction though. I really can't comment publicly about council business directly, but I can tell you it ain't like the private sector. It just becomes annoying when all you ever hear is gripes in the media, and from every person and their dog who lives in the metro area with an opinion, whilst getting positive feedback and having good customer relations with the day to day encounters with residents and ratepayers.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 pm

We all appreciated it. We simply hate inefficiencies and waste.

BTW, if anyone has any influence in the ACC, would they put some thought into making it safer for the kids to ride to and from the various schools in the city (maybe one of those electronic speed signs and a paved path on South Tce for starters).
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Roinik wrote:We all appreciated it. We simply hate inefficiencies and waste.


I agree. My main issue is the length of time to complete projects once they have started. It would be interesting to see the correlation between time and cost and which projects were being undertaken by Council and which are contracted out. Based on the speed of some of the projects you would like to think that they are costing less which will allow more projects to be undertaken within the budgeted figures. The new gutter ramps and the green paint were done very quickly, but the path will likely be pushing 2-3 months which is an extraordinarily long time for something that should be around 3 weeks work. The new section of path is much better to ride on ..... and they have even removed that little hump caused by the tree just north of the second bridge :mrgreen:

While on the issue of ACC, it would be good to see Council introduce tow away zones for the dedicated bus/bike lines that are currently no standing. Every day there is somebody parked in these spaces making it difficult for bus drivers who are forced to merge back into a regular lane, removing the advantage of the dedicated lane. Sure the parking meter people whack a $40 (or whatever it is) fine on most cars, but it doesn't change behavior, or they haven't pinged every driver in Adelaide yet. If it was a tow away zone I am sure Council could do very well financially getting a cut from the towing companies which will be extremely vigilant in keeping those dedicated lanes clear for the buses.
User avatar
Sir Stinkalot
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: Parkside - South Australia

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Sir Stinkalot wrote:While on the issue of ACC, it would be good to see Council introduce tow away zones for the dedicated bus/bike lines that are currently no standing. Every day there is somebody parked in these spaces making it difficult for bus drivers who are forced to merge back into a regular lane, removing the advantage of the dedicated lane. Sure the parking meter people whack a $40 (or whatever it is) fine on most cars, but it doesn't change behavior, or they haven't pinged every driver in Adelaide yet. If it was a tow away zone I am sure Council could do very well financially getting a cut from the towing companies which will be extremely vigilant in keeping those dedicated lanes clear for the buses.



Ya see,...if you were a legit ratepaying resi or business owner you could contact your local councilor and float this, or run for council yourself. But as a resident of another council you just become another greater metro area member of the public with an opinion on how ACC should do their business. :wink:
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Ya see,...if you were a legit ratepaying resi or business owner you could contact your local councilor and float this, or run for council yourself. But as a resident of another council you just become another greater metro area member of the public with an opinion on how ACC should do their business. :wink:


You are correct BRLVR.v2 .... or I could walk into ACC and just put my suggestion on a feedback form! We are so lucky in South Australia to have such a great number of local Councils, all trying to do their own little things. It does make the best use of resources and helps this state motor along at a cracking pace.

Oh ..... by the way. I did vote in the most recent ACC elections so does that leave me in no mans land???? ...... and I can even see the town hall from where I am typing this ..... I had better scurry back to the suburbs :?
User avatar
Sir Stinkalot
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: Parkside - South Australia

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Sir Stinkalot wrote:Oh ..... by the way. I did vote in the most recent ACC elections so does that leave me in no mans land???? ...... and I can even see the town hall from where I am typing this .


Well you are one up on me my man, more power to you. I will however float your idea via the ACC BUG group page, as it deserves some internal exposure.

I can see how my line on this appears defensive, but it's just how seeing what is printed and presented in popular media vs what it's like as part of the machine can make one touchy at times.

All good though, I'll just go back to shovel leaning and contemplate my lot as a local government worker. :mrgreen:
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:52 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Sir Stinkalot wrote:I will however float your idea via the ACC BUG group page, as it deserves some internal exposure.


Initially I thought that BUG was going to be some sort of convoluted acronym to describe annoying non-ratepayers having a say in Council matters ...... but after a quick Google I see that there is some interesting reading in there. Thanks, a win for everybody :)

I hope that you do not refer to the local newspaper as "popular media" :twisted:
User avatar
Sir Stinkalot
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: Parkside - South Australia

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Sir Stinkalot wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Sir Stinkalot wrote:I will however float your idea via the ACC BUG group page, as it deserves some internal exposure.


Initially I thought that BUG was going to be some sort of convoluted acronym to describe annoying non-ratepayers having a say in Council matters ...... but after a quick Google I see that there is some interesting reading in there. Thanks, a win for everybody :)

I hope that you do not refer to the local newspaper as "popular media" :twisted:


Quite a few serious cyclists within the ACC, and the (B)icycle(U)sers(G)roup is a handy way to directly highlight stuff I've noted on forums etc...

And no , the messenger does not rate as "popular media" , but unfortunately the Advertiser is all we have ,and people still buy it. From my point of view , both rags are only good for the crossword and Calvin and hobbes.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:43 pm

There's Calvin and Hobbs in the Messenger? I must have missed it when wrapping up the food scraps.

:wink:
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 pm

So I gather that the state of the path as it is right now (incomplete and inactive) is a result of project overruns on budget and schedule?
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:50 pm

Perhaps the contractors ran out of time and are now on their way to the ANZAC Hwy/West Tce priority bus lane project which was announced today :lol:

The new section of gravel, followed by the old potholed bridge, break up the journey of the parkland into more of an adventure. The gravel section is already starting to break apart and if we get any rain it will not be in good shape at all. Its ok, I am sure they are happy to redo it.

One thing I did notice tonight which is of some concern, is the cracking that has already started to appear in the first completed section (north end). I am not sure how much influence that they will have on the quality of the path but it was quite noticeable as the cracking was opening up across the path. It may have something to do with the hot day yesterday???
User avatar
Sir Stinkalot
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: Parkside - South Australia

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Roinik » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Sir Stinkalot wrote:One thing I did notice tonight which is of some concern, is the cracking that has already started to appear in the first completed section (north end). I am not sure how much influence that they will have on the quality of the path but it was quite noticeable as the cracking was opening up across the path. It may have something to do with the hot day yesterday???


You will notice that there is cracking in both the northern and southern sections. There are a couple of contributing factors for cracking
* Poor mixing of the asphalt prior to laying.
* Sub base movement.
* Thermal shrinkage after laying.

Since there hasn't been that much thermal change from the laying temperature, the only thing that I can put it down to is poor base preparation prior to laying. The only thing that can be done (aside from doing it again) is to do the old tar drizzle technique to seal up the cracks before they let any more moisture into the base. The second thing that can be done is to stop driving on the bike paths with vehicles and trucks. I think that the tar drizzle technique is the maximum that might happen (if at all).

No comment from me on the 'adventure' path format. What's next some jumps like over the other side of the road?
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.
Roinik
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Southern parkland path upgrade - finally!

Postby Sir Stinkalot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:28 am

Roinik wrote:What's next some jumps like over the other side of the road?


Next is blocking the crossing of Greenhill Road with a bloody big gas pipe :D I rode up Greenhill to King William Road this morning which had the slowest commuter peloton I have seen in a while despite the large number of lycra clad professional commuters :o . Not complaining ..... just an observation.

I agree about the causes of the issues with the path and it is particularly sad to see. I am sure that they will come back with the tar drizzle technique which will create a bunch of mini speedbumps and be back to how it was previously. Not particularly good news for a path that is less than a month old. If it was done by private contractors and not Council there could be a warranty claim if they are lucky.
User avatar
Sir Stinkalot
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: Parkside - South Australia

Next

Return to South Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Camd81



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit