Keen to join a club and start racing - advice?

lunar_c

Keen to join a club and start racing - advice?

Postby lunar_c » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi all,

I've been cycling seriously for a couple of years now by myself and with friends and have just recently decided that I'd like to join a club, to get involved with bunch rides and do more training in a group and start doing some racing.

I am quite happy with my fitness but I'd like to step up a little with my training. I enjoy cycling and think I'd like to try racing criteriums but want to give everything a go and see what fits me best.

I live in Scarborough, can anyone recommend a local club to get me started? Thanks!

logancalder

Re: Keen to join a club and start racing - advice?

Postby logancalder » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi Lunar,

What I would suggest you do is try some racing first. If you like it, then purchase a racing licence. You might not like it and if that’s the case it will be a waste of several hundred dollars.

TT’s are run by ATTA (http://www.atta.asn.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) These are extremely well organized events and attract a wide variety of rider abilities. They have a calander online and you can pre-register for events by clicking the link and filling in your details. You will get an email 2 days before the event which will advise you of your starting time. For non-members a race will cost $10 and if you enjoy the experience I would encourage you to become a member. Their annual fee is only $25.

All other racing can be found on Cycling WA page under ‘events’ (http://www.wa.cycling.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) They also send out a weekly email which has a ‘sports guide’ inside. That comes out on Tuesdays and gives you a list of the weekend events and phone numbers. At a guess you will be able to sign up for that online.

You will need a racing licence before you are able to actually put a number on. For most of the summer crits you will be able to buy a ‘day licence’ or sometimes a ‘3 race licence’ before you sign on and collect your race number. At large events however, such as state champs or some of the larger championship races, they won’t accept day licences and you will have to be a full member of Cycling Australia. More information will be found on the Cycling WA site.

I hope that points you in the right direction.

Regards,

Logan

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:41 pm

I'll also chime in that Cycling WA only lists Open events, and not club races. They do however have links to the various clubs around Perth, and you can check out the ones near you.

I think South Perth Rouleurs is going to be your closest bet, with Northern Districts in second. If you dont mind an occasional trip down to Rockingham/Mandurah then we at Peel Districts run races nearly every weekend of the year, you don't need to be a club member for us, but you do need a Gold license. We get a few occasional visitors from the North :P

paulz

Postby paulz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 pm

You could try training with Chain Reaction Training (http://www.crtwa.com.au) who head out from Brew-Ha cafe on Rokeby Road in Subiaco.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 pm

Or here http://www.wcmasterscycling.asn.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if your old enough great club heaps of races

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks guys, I'll get in touch with a few of the groups you suggested and see how I go. I've come into road cycling after bring obsessed with MTB'ing as a kid, I'm 27 now and the bug has bitten hard :)