6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Mugglechops

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:47 pm

marinmomma wrote:It's gone a bit quite here in the 6k club...has everyone been outing riding or something??

One last day to get out and log some k's before the October update is due....this year is flying by, Norbs will be writing up the opening post on the 2013 thread before we know it!!!
It has been quite in here.

Here is a random photo of some bearded yak to look at :D

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi All, remember me :wink:
Do any of you live in the Blue Mountains; I am coming for a conference on the Friday 9 November till Sunday morning staying at the Fairmont. I would love to ride there, is it safe and what areas do you recommend , if you have strava can you please post it. I am Pine Moore on strava. I would be grateful for any advice.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Apple wrote:Hi All, remember me :wink:
Do any of you live in the Blue Mountains; I am coming for a conference on the Friday 9 November till Sunday morning staying at the Fairmont. I would love to ride there, is it safe and what areas do you recommend , if you have strava can you please post it. I am Pine Moore on strava. I would be grateful for any advice.
Who is this Apple you talk of?

The name sounds familiar............ :wink:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Apple wrote:Hi All, remember me :wink:
Who are you again :lol:

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 pm

LOL thank you guys, :lol: :lol: :lol: so do any of you live near by 8) to show me around
Or do I have to create a new post on the forum and S&ut around for riders advice. :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Apple wrote:LOL thank you guys, :lol: :lol: :lol: so do any of you live near by 8) to show me around
Or do I have to create a new post on the forum and S&ut around for riders advice. :mrgreen:
Good to have you back Apple :D

I don't live in the area, but when you have a conference in Brisbane I will happily be your tour guide!
Lisa

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks Lisa, same, if you ever come to sydney I will let you draft :wink: and I will show you around

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 pm

October: 31 days starts on a Monday. Hmm, most months I do about 650Km, sometimes I manage to break 700KM. But at the start of this month I worked out I could break 800Km in one month if I ride every day. Well, with one day still to go I managed to break 800Km in one month. Most likely a record for me and one which won't be repeated for a while. Certainly keeping me in front of the triangle and I might even have to increase the goal for this year, maybe back to 6,666Km like last year.

Also getting close to the top 1,000 on BikeJournal now. This has been much harder than last year, seems to be more people riding more this year.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 am

Well done on the 800km month DavidS.

Apple, I can't help much with specifics but my wife and I did some motorbike riding in the mountains when staying in Katoomba a couple of years ago. Most of the roads we where on would have been good for bicycle as well as long as you don't mind some climbing. We where fortunate in that the B&B owner was thankfull for an excuse to get out on his bike to show us around so we didn't need to know where we where going. The one ride we did without out him was down into Megalong Valley to the Megalong Tea House for breakfast. Was quite a pleasant ride although it would take a little longer without the motor, especially the climb back out.
grantw wrote:Cheers Shane, I might have another crack at it on the weekend. My off road technique is very rusty and needs the practise :)
How about Saturday morning? Looking at getting a ride in and wouldn't mind heading up that way. I may have some friends interested in meeting somewhere up the top to join for the ride back down. They've done a ride a couple of times getting dropped at the top of Mt Keira and riding across and down. I'm happy to do the ride up though.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:57 pm

sblack wrote: How about Saturday morning?
Sounds great to me. I'll send you an email to arrange time etc. If anyone else wants to come along sing out!

I went back to my Surgeon this morning to get my foot checked out and he's happy with the way it's healed up and I'm good to "resume my normal activities" . So I celebrated with an 80k ride up to Bald Hill and back down the coast to complete my 1000km goal for October.

Bald Hill by _granty, on Flickr

I also just noticed that I managed to climb 10,855m along the way :) .

Only 5 weeks ago I was quite despondent about getting anywhere near the bike, and the encouragement from many of you here and in other places has really helped me turn that around :D .

cheers

grant

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Your on fire Grant,great progress comming back, keep it up mate, unreal.Tim :D

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks Tim :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Ok here is my summary for October...

October saw me roll past the 7000 point, I'm on target to hit that 9000 unless we get a load of rain!

I acheived 4 QOM's during the month, one of them was on the river loop which is Brisbanes cycling superhighway, holding it for 2 weeks was equally impressive.
Did a 100 k ride at an average of 31.?.

Had my second highest month kilometer count with 923 k's, raced in my first criterium and first triathlon!
Climbing was down a bit due to too many river loops for training for Noosa.

Oh, and one new bike :wink:

Good luck everyone as we get to the pointy end of the year!
Lisa

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 pm

marinmomma wrote:Ok here is my summary for October...

October saw me roll past the 7000 point, I'm on target to hit that 9000 unless we get a load of rain!

I acheived 4 QOM's during the month, one of them was on the river loop which is Brisbanes cycling superhighway, holding it for 2 weeks was equally impressive.
Did a 100 k ride at an average of 31.?.

Had my second highest month kilometer count with 923 k's, raced in my first criterium and first triathlon!
Climbing was down a bit due to too many river loops for training for Noosa.

Good luck everyone as we get to the pointy end of the year!
Great work Lisa!!!

You certainly have been racking up the km over the last few months.

A number of great achievements but the bit i like the most was:
marinmomma wrote:
:)
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:43 pm

coffeeandwine wrote: A number of great achievements but the bit i like the most was:
marinmomma wrote:
:)
Mine too, it rolls like a dream!
Lisa

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 pm

Geez, I do 800 and Marinmomma does 900, I'll never catch her ;) . But, 840 KM for October and passed 6k for the year today so a very good month really.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:42 am

A very lean 650kms for me in October.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:59 am

If that's very lean then my 238kms is vapour thin. :D

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 am

A total of 655 km for Oct for me.

Included 4936m climbing, 1x 100km, 1x 200km (ATB) and a week of 0km (had a rest after ATB, a few days longer than planned).

Total YTD is 5532 km, so hope to reach the 6k mark by end of Nov

No new bike to report (but looking at new wheels :D )

Good work fellow 6K members, some good totals and reports coming through

cheers
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 am

You're a smidge ahead of me. My yearly total is 5,385 at the end of October.

In October I did 620km with 7,201m climbing with nearly 22 hours moving time... Happy days!

I *might* be able to crack the 6k by the end of Nov. I'm planning a big one for the Sydney to Gong by adding extra bits at either end for a total of about 170km. Should help me along nicely (if I can do it!).

Cheers,
Dave

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 pm

grantw wrote:I went back to my Surgeon this morning to get my foot checked out and he's happy with the way it's healed up and I'm good to "resume my normal activities" . So I celebrated with an 80k ride up to Bald Hill and back down the coast to complete my 1000km goal for October.
An impressive month back on the bike Grant, good news on the all clear too.

Well done on all the other impressive Octobers as well. I managed to gain a little more ground on the triangle with 617.7km and nicely beat the 6000m goal with 7824m of climbing. I should hit the 6999km goal sometime this month.

Onto the goals for November, or should I say Movember as work has put in a team and convinced me to sign up. If you'd like to sponser me the link is in my signature. A couple of simple goals for cycling this month. The first is to complete the Highland Fling, I'm aiming for under 10 hours but that's just a basic guess based on my limited off road experience and the main goal is just to finish it. The second goal for the month is to complete the Strava BMC 79 Mile Challenge so the weekend after the Fling I'll be looking at doing a 79+ mile ride. It's been a while since a Strava Challenge has been achievable for me to complete so looking forward to this one.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:56 pm

sblack wrote:
grantw wrote:I went back to my Surgeon this morning to get my foot checked out and he's happy with the way it's healed up and I'm good to "resume my normal activities" . So I celebrated with an 80k ride up to Bald Hill and back down the coast to complete my 1000km goal for October.
An impressive month back on the bike Grant, good news on the all clear too.

Well done on all the other impressive Octobers as well. I managed to gain a little more ground on the triangle with 617.7km and nicely beat the 6000m goal with 7824m of climbing. I should hit the 6999km goal sometime this month.

Onto the goals for November, or should I say Movember as work has put in a team and convinced me to sign up. If you'd like to sponser me the link is in my signature. A couple of simple goals for cycling this month. The first is to complete the Highland Fling, I'm aiming for under 10 hours but that's just a basic guess based on my limited off road experience and the main goal is just to finish it. The second goal for the month is to complete the Strava BMC 79 Mile Challenge so the weekend after the Fling I'll be looking at doing a 79+ mile ride. It's been a while since a Strava Challenge has been achievable for me to complete so looking forward to this one.
If I may..... http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/10/kno ... hoalhaven/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:38 pm

norbs wrote:
sblack wrote: An impressive month back on the bike Grant, good news on the all clear too.
If I may..... http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/10/kno ... hoalhaven/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Shane, it's time to start cranking out some longer rides.

There's also an Audax Cafe Ride on the 17th but I'm liking the look of your route Norbs, what's the estimated vertical gain?

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:12 pm

grantw wrote:
norbs wrote:
sblack wrote: An impressive month back on the bike Grant, good news on the all clear too.

There's also an Audax Cafe Ride on the 17th but I'm liking the look of your route Norbs, what's the estimated vertical gain?
Yeah, I've seen both those options. I'm waiting for my wife to get her roster (current one ends on the 11th) so that I know where I can fit a ride in that weekend. If time allows then I'd like to get down to do yours norbs but we'll see what happens with her shifts. Otherwise the Cafe Ride would be a quicker option, by the time I ride to and from the ride I'd only need somewhere around 6km more to finish off the challenge.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:23 pm

grantw wrote:
norbs wrote:

800m according to one estimate.

Click the map on that blog for more details from memory.