How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

westab

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby westab » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:16 am

gretaboy wrote:fantastic weather this morning for riding....had my "neighbour" fly past me on his TT bike with about 6-8 k's to go on my ride in...let him go saying to myself "its the end of the week, Im taking it easy, he has fresh legs" and let him go....for a bit, then the competitive streak cut in and I made myself work hard...was doing around 30-31 when he went past, ended up doing 37-41 trying to catch him.

With about 2 k's to go to my office I caught him at the bottom of a hill. I knew he would slow down a little going up it. He was a bit surprised when I called out to him to go a bit faster. I think he thought he had blown me away well and truely. Was on his back wheel all the way up the hill with some in reserve, even though I was hurting.

Ride home will be a casual one for sure now
Well done gretaboy - that is the good sort of hurting. I know how this one feels as I ride with a younger work mate on a much faster bike who likes putting me in the hurt box. The other day when we were about to part company to go home he dropped the hammer down with 2km to go with 500m to the turn off he turned his head to see how slow he would have to go to let me catch up and I was just about to pass his shoulder :shock: is what I got. The next day and the rest of the ride home were slow.

This morning the ride in was just great - but hardly saw another cyclist which is rare at the moment.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:09 am

Slow commute this morning due to nasty traffic and lettuce leaves rather than legs doing the hard work. Every climb hurt like a bugger.

It was all caused by SOP training this morning which saw Group 3 blow apart on Lap 4 and still manage to average ~40 kph. It really, really hurt!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:39 am

Big day today despite the heat on the way in... saw an opp to get through Cumberland lights at Wentworthville, checked my computer... I topped out at 63.8kmh :shock:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 pm

goneriding wrote:Slow commute this morning due to nasty traffic and lettuce leaves rather than legs doing the hard work. Every climb hurt like a bugger.

It was all caused by SOP training this morning which saw Group 3 blow apart on Lap 4 and still manage to average ~40 kph. It really, really hurt!
Friday legs - pity its only Thursday :D

I had a very pleasant & relaxed ride in - & was surprised to find it was no slower than I normally am. Am guessing Monday will be tough though after gong ride on Sunday.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 am

Slow ride in today - combination of headwind, damp conditions, stubbornly red lights, and not trying hard enough. :mrgreen:
Happy Friday!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:30 am

went for a strava segment on the way home. ouch

excuses thread for me today (though I did test out my new wheels this morning)

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:59 am

Got my first KOM on the way to work yesterday... Nice.
Got another on the way home, but it was just a result of a GPS glitch. I was on the other side of the freeway to the segment. Thing is ... it is clear the other top few riders are there due to the same glitch. I've "flagged" the segment asking for the KOM to be taken from me.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:03 am

well the combination of my effort in the morning and 25k/h + headwinds for the entire ride yesterday did me in...was absolutely knackered by the time I got home. Was a bit warmish too, ended up drinking 4 water bottles for the ride.

no riding today at all for me

westab

Postby westab » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 am

TailWind wrote:Slow ride in today - combination of headwind, damp conditions, stubbornly red lights, and not trying hard enough. :mrgreen:
Happy Friday!
Well done TW at least you still made it. Slow for me this morning as well - headwind; yes (only for the last 2kms), red lights; no, damp conditions; no.

Friday legs and no effort; big yes. Just had nothing in the tank this morning and am planning a longer ride home tonight. The weather is just great at the moment so even riding slow is a pleasure. Hope everyone else is enjoying riding as much as I am at the moment. :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 am

gretaboy wrote:well the combination of my effort in the morning and 25k/h + headwinds for the entire ride yesterday did me in...was absolutely knackered by the time I got home. Was a bit warmish too, ended up drinking 4 water bottles for the ride.

no riding today at all for me
I really think you need a break commuting - try again next year

Marto

Postby Marto » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 am

jasonc wrote:went for a strava segment on the way home. ouch

excuses thread for me today (though I did test out my new wheels this morning)
How were the wheels? Pro-Lite Bracciano right? I've been using them for commuting wheels for 2 and a bit years, and they are great. Still true to within 1mm after some pretty ordinary roads (mainly broken bitumen).

Braccianos combined with Continental GP4000s can be a bit skittish at higher pressures (that's mainly due to the tyres :D ), but that has improved to a wonderful ride by using latex inner tubes (with butyl spare).

Back on topic: Nice ride in for me this morning. Bumped into an old work colleague, so I dawdled along chatting. It felt like Brisbane summer humidity again this morning. Lots of sweating, but no too bad.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:00 am

Marto wrote:How were the wheels? Pro-Lite Bracciano right? I've been using them for commuting wheels for 2 and a bit years, and they are great. Still true to within 1mm after some pretty ordinary roads (mainly broken bitumen).

Braccianos combined with Continental GP4000s can be a bit skittish at higher pressures (that's mainly due to the tyres :D ), but that has improved to a wonderful ride by using latex inner tubes (with butyl spare).
yep. braccianos. only did 11kms so don't really know. felt like I was holding speed uphill a bit easier. tomorrow will tell. EDIT: this is in comparison to the original Oval W-530 that came on the Fuji.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 am

PB on a Strava segment yesterday morn on the way in, 3rd best on way home. There was a tailwind for the return journey, but it was very dry and by about 3/4 the way home the smoke in the air was making the throat very dry and hard to go hard, might have got a PB on the way back we're it not for the bushfires upwind.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 am

HEADWIND OF DOOM

copped it last night, and again today. not a lot of fun :evil:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:35 pm

It really felt like summer in bne again. I didn't push this morning but got to work sweaty.

I think the garmin said about 25...

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Comedian wrote:It really felt like summer in bne again. I didn't push this morning but got to work sweaty.

Was that you I saw on TJ Doyle Memorial Hill this morning mate? I caught up to a couple of guys around Yeronga during my river loop, but didn't have enough pace to overtake them. I said as much to them and apologised for the wheel suck along the Corso. One of the guys looked like a trimmer version of your avatar pic. 8)
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:46 pm

BrisVegas wrote:
Comedian wrote:It really felt like summer in bne again. I didn't push this morning but got to work sweaty.

Was that you I saw on TJ Doyle Memorial Hill this morning mate? I caught up to a couple of guys around Yeronga during my river loop, but didn't have enough pace to overtake them. I said as much to them and apologised for the wheel suck along the Corso. One of the guys looked like a trimmer version of your avatar pic. 8)
Ssssshush... don't tell anyone... but I'm not, English, black, or gainfully employed to entertain people. That's our little secret. :wink: :wink:

I had a frustrating commute today. Was all good this morning and then this afternoon I thought I'd go KOM hunting in the wind. First attempt was foiled by a lady on a bike, cars, and then a tradie that really wanted to get in front of us so he could left hook us. Next one failed because the wind was too easterly (about 45deg of what was needed). The next one... I tried... got it stoked up and then felt like I was a 5 pack a day smoker (forgot my puffer!)... none the less I pushed on with my lungs hanging out. Did what was needed and then found the segment was too close to home so my privacy zone killed it. :oops: :roll: :mrgreen:

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Move the privacy zone a street further away .... ;-)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 am

Loaded the commuter up this morning without really paying much attention to tyres etc because I had just performed my weekly maintenance yesterday. Had a coffee, watched the news, then pushed the bike out of the garage, ready to leave. Except the bike didn't roll very well. Reason - front tyre deflated. Switched kit between the panniers on the commuter and the ones on the MTB and headed off. Will look at the tyre later - suspect I damaged the tube where the valve enters it while pumping up the tyres yesterday. Pretty ok ride on the MTB.
Warm morning here in Melbourne.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:31 am

I've somehow hurt my left knee over the weekend (don't remember doing it riding saturday). I should not have been riding this morning. Basically riding with no power.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Kenzo wrote:Move the privacy zone a street further away .... ;-)

I moved my privacy zone 5km away from home however my commute is only 6km :oops:
2012 Oppy A4

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:15 pm

CRASH! ~30km/h and accelerating - about to try and hit a STRAVA segment... Right hand turn and the front wheel goes. Had a staple give me a puncture. Skin off a couple of knuckles and impact scraping and bruising to my thigh and shoulder. Bent and scraped shifters, bars slightly 'off centre' and the front wheel is now a few millimetres out of true...

Peeved that a pissy little piece of discarded stationery has damaged my bike, my riding kit and my body. Funny though :-D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Kenzo wrote:CRASH! ~30km/h and accelerating - about to try and hit a STRAVA segment... Right hand turn and the front wheel goes. Had a staple give me a puncture. Skin off a couple of knuckles and impact scraping and bruising to my thigh and shoulder. Bent and scraped shifters, bars slightly 'off centre' and the front wheel is now a few millimetres out of true...

Peeved that a pissy little piece of discarded stationery has damaged my bike, my riding kit and my body. Funny though :-D
Oh no! Take it easy!

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Kenzo wrote: Had a staple give me a puncture. Skin off a couple of knuckles and impact scraping and bruising to my thigh and shoulder.
That is some hardcore stapling.

Be careful next time you abuse the photocopier...........you don't know what the stationery department will have in store for you around the next corner.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:36 am

Hehehe... Imagine flying around a corner and running into a photocopier... I guess it's possible, kerbside cleanup in a few weeks.