Fruit Throwers in Cottesloe

sambo1

Fruit Throwers in Cottesloe

Postby sambo1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Had a piece of fruit (lemon) thrown at me while riding down Marine Parade outside the Cott around midnight on Friday the 26th of October.

The lemon in question hit me in the shoulder... Luckily I maintained control of my pushy.

Has anyone else has come into contact with this lemon thrower lately?

The lemon thrower was a passenger in a white Magna... they sped off at a very slow pace thanks to the traffic calming chicanes on that road but I couldn't catch them.

Sam

eldavo

Re: Fruit Throwers in Cottesloe

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:30 pm

At that time it's like being on the roads anywhere with a closing pub or people going out around drunken entertainment spots.
I commuted home near midnight last Thursday and did think uh oh, that other element is about.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:19 pm

sambo1 wrote:Had a piece of fruit (lemon) thrown at me while riding down Marine Parade outside the Cott around midnight on Friday the 26th of October.

The lemon in question hit me in the shoulder... Luckily I maintained control of my pushy.

Has anyone else has come into contact with this lemon thrower lately?

The lemon thrower was a passenger in a white Magna... they sped off at a very slow pace thanks to the traffic calming chicanes on that road but I couldn't catch them.

Sam
Midnight on a Friday? Just count yourself lucky it was a lemon and give some thought to mitigating the risky situations you put yourself in.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 pm

Jackfrost wrote: Midnight on a Friday? Just count yourself lucky it was a lemon and give some thought to mitigating the risky situations you put yourself in.
I hope that's a joke. Can't fathom the "blame the victim" mentality. :roll:
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:22 pm

Pushy wrote:
Jackfrost wrote: Midnight on a Friday? Just count yourself lucky it was a lemon and give some thought to mitigating the risky situations you put yourself in.
Hear, hear...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:48 pm

And here we see the gulf between realism and idealism.

Personally, I try and live in the real world.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:09 pm

twizzle wrote:Personally, I try and live in the real world.
Reality is what we make it. I'm old enough to remember when the reality was "too drunk to drive" meant "can't get the *** keys in the ignition".
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 am

Thoglette wrote:
twizzle wrote:Personally, I try and live in the real world.
Reality is what we make it. I'm old enough to remember when the reality was "too drunk to drive" meant "can't get the *** keys in the ignition".
Let me know how you go with getting the laws enforced. I'm looking forwards to the police whipping out their lemon-o-meter and getting the suspected offender to blow in it.

sambo1

Postby sambo1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:24 pm

twizzle wrote: Let me know how you go with getting the laws enforced. I'm looking forwards to the police whipping out their lemon-o-meter and getting the suspected offender to blow in it.
Personally I was hoping for some vigilante action.
Pushy wrote: I hope that's a joke. Can't fathom the "blame the victim" mentality.
Luckily I wasn't wearing a mini-skirt or I may have deserved it. Violence against cyclists; Australia says no.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Sorry your night ended on a sour note sambo, glad no serious harm resulted though.

I've done an experiment or two with cycle transport to/from entertainment precincts - fortunately each time we've got on our way home before the operators in the Drunk Morons' Control Centre pulled the lever that moves Northbridge from "hijinks" to "aggro", and the worst thing that's happened so far has been a bunch of oncoming dudes trying to high-five us on the Wellington-Roe overpass.

Actually, adjusting for having an XL-male offsider on that particular occasion, I felt a lot safer on the bike than I have done dealing with crowded taxi ranks or waiting around semi-deserted bus/train stops.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:39 pm

it wouldn't matter if you were walking, on your bike, or driving your car. there are still going to be drunk knobs out there doing stupid things like throwing lemons. i've been walking & had soft drink thrown at me, had my car egged & p!ssed on out the front of my parents place. nothing you can do about it.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Pushy wrote:
Well that's your interpretation from a 'victim mindset', at the end of the day he still had a lemon thrown at him regardless of who is perceived to be at blame. We should be able to go about our lives without dealing with situations like the one mentioned but we can't so we have to assess the situations in which we put ourselves in. It'd be like walking through Russell Square on your own at 11pm on a Friday night, you have to assess whether you want to risk getting harrassed/mugged/bashed or take the long way around mitigate your risk. I don't go running or riding after 8pm on Friday or Sat night due to numerous drunk idiots out there with possible empty projectiles (beer bottles etc) at their disposal.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:06 am

Jackfrost wrote: I don't go running or riding after 8pm on Friday or Sat night due to numerous drunk idiots out there with possible empty projectiles (beer bottles etc) at their disposal.
And are you happy with having your behaviour dictated by others? Is this how you think the world should be?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

redned

Postby redned » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:46 am

Avoiding places where you might expect trouble (eg Northbridge) is realism (as Twizzle says). But I wouldn't have put Marine Parade Cottesloe in this category. I am not going to apply a blanket ban of staying in after 8pm like Jack.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Jackfrost wrote: I don't go running or riding after 8pm on Friday or Sat night due to numerous drunk idiots out there with possible empty projectiles (beer bottles etc) at their disposal.
And are you happy with having your behaviour dictated by others? Is this how you think the world should be?
What behaviour modification did you have in mind?

Last time I checked, it's illegal for me to carry mace (in most states, WA is so lucky!) or a gun. Cameras are shite at night, and it's unusal for video footage to achieve anything.

We could cull all the stupid people, but some bleeding heart liberal would claim that it's their *right* to throw fruit, the cyclist wasn't the target.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Quote removed by moderator
Nope.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Can we please remember a couple of things:
- Lets keep it on topic
- Family Friendly
- And most importantly: think about what you have posted before you hit submit
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:20 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Can we please remember a couple of things:
- Lets keep it on topic
- Family Friendly
- And most importantly: think about what you have posted before you hit submit
Yeah, sorry. A bit "adult" to be discussing here.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Nope and nope but I live in the real world where people throw objects from their cars after a few drinks however if you have the directions to Gumdrop Lane I'd be more than happy to ride there at midnight on a Friday.

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:06 pm

redned wrote:Avoiding places where you might expect trouble (eg Northbridge) is realism (as Twizzle says). But I wouldn't have put Marine Parade Cottesloe in this category. I am not going to apply a blanket ban of staying in after 8pm like Jack.
Not a blanket ban. I have better things to do on a Friday night... like drive down Marine Parade and toss lemons at cyclists

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

This was at 11:30pm apparently... a bit like Forest Gump.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=58194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:10 pm

It doesn't have to happen late at night or in an entertainment precinct.
Riding Beach Rd, Melbourne on Sunday morning at the front of 3 other riders, I sensed something coming at me from the other side of the road... It must have been a rotten banana... Hit my right arm- I luckily stayed upright.
It all happened so quickly none of us saw which car was responsible.
Maybe your bogans flew to Melb for the weekend?
Andrew