Sealskinz gloves

toolonglegs

Sealskinz gloves

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:20 am

I have looked on their site and can't find them... someone showed me some gloves the other day, definately sealskinz. They were winter full finger gloves... but a single layer quite thick with traction thingies on the palm. Anyone used them or know of them?.
Or any other recommendations?, for cold weather yes, hopefully no colder than -5c, the only thing I am specific on is single layer and not "too" thick. I only need to survive an hour with them and I will be liberal with the heat creme :D . But I find that anything with a lining or two layers just robs too much feel as the layers slide against each other... especially as they will always be wet / muddy and frozen!.

antipodean

Re: Sealskinz gloves

Postby antipodean » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:49 am

Any of these?
http://www.probikekit.com/au/catalogsea ... h+by+Brand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:49 am

I have these ones.

http://www.sealskinz.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are a bit thick but work well in -5C. I have 4 pairs of gloves because of the varying temp here. I hate cold hands. :(

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 am

antipodean wrote:Any of these?
http://www.probikekit.com/au/catalogsea ... h+by+Brand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, thanks.... the "SealSkinz Ultra Grip Cycling Gloves (Full Finger)" ... now I can find some reviews on them :D ( hopefully ).

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:01 am

DaveOZ wrote:I have these ones.

http://www.sealskinz.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are a bit thick but work well in -5C. I have 4 pairs of gloves because of the varying temp here. I hate cold hands. :(
Cheers Dave, they would be way too thick... it is a compromise between keeping warm and controlling the bike :lol: . I have a real problem with my fingers in the cold :oops: . But scorching hot creme helps to keep them moving for an hour. It was snowing on Saturday and I saw one guy racing without gloves :shock: ... very jealous!.
Maybe someone can explain to me why if I do a warm up lap or 2 and my fingers start to freeze and get painful, if I then go back to the car and thaw them out they don't freeze as bad the 2nd time.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 am

I've always had a problem with cold fingers. Even resorted to wearing my ski gloves once, they were too thick. Used these during that past winter and found they were good down to 0 without liners but still gave me a good feel on the bike. Go one size up on what you would normally use.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:45 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
DaveOZ wrote:I have these ones.

Cheers Dave, they would be way too thick... it is a compromise between keeping warm and controlling the bike

Maybe check out DeFeet DuraGloves. I have a couple of pair and they are relatively thin. I can wear a pair of summer gloves over the top of them for example.

Andrew

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:47 pm

I have plenty of warm winter gloves, well warm enough till the temps get really cold and then I usually have liners, heavy winter gloves and over covers on plus heat pads shoved in there as well.
But the reason I am looking at these gloves is they are a tight single layer fabric, 100% waterproof and reasonably warm. Anything with the slightest bit of bulk in cyclocross is guaranteed to have you on the deck before you know it :-) .

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Pretty sure these are the ones I use paddling!! Grippy things,waterproof...I've used them at -2 on the river and all is good.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:22 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Pretty sure these are the ones I use paddling!! Grippy things,waterproof...I've used them at -2 on the river and all is good.
could be Moo, I see reviews for them everywhere from sailing to hunting... All say the same, tight fit, waterproof, lots of feel but not super warm.
I have a heat creme that feels like it is peeling your skin off which I use a fair bit on my hands :-) .

coyote

Postby coyote » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Some motorbikes have heated hand grips, maybe you could fit them on your pushy. BMW I think have them. 8)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm

It's a road bike, so might be hard to fit :P ... but you can get battery heated socks and gloves, too bulky for racing ( the gloves ), but after the pain I suffered last winter during a 6 hour ride at around -15C I may get some for training. I actually enjoy riding longer in winter than I do in Summer,go figure :roll: , something special about riding on hard pack snow in beautiful scenery when you know nearly everyone else is sitting inside eating cake :D .

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Our Touareg has a heated steering wheel you can try to fit to your bike. It's been done before!! or buy a di2 ready frame, fit a normal groupo, then use the battery mounts to attach something to run a small hand heater under your tape. I ain't good with tools but reckon I could make some money if there was a market for it :D

In relation to the car, I've never used that feature and don't even know where the button is...honest :oops:

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:51 pm

I got a pair of these a few years back for winter commuting on the west coast of Scotland. Also used them for skiing at the time. They're pretty good, warm enough, grippy and waterproof but not the most breathable things in the world (which is understandable but your hands do get sticky in them). They're definitely good below freezing. However unless the design has changed they have an integrated one piece liner so you are not directly touching the leather palm, so that's something to be aware of.

You get some pretty crispy mornings for Tassie winters as well, and although it may not excite the techno bling gear crowd, one of my favourite keep hands warm combos is standard liner gloves with woollen fingerless mits over the top. I find them a good compromise between warmth, dexterity and breathability.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Not sure if they are the same as I don't think they have leather in them at all... Sticky hands aren't too much of a problem as I race with Fox rubber gloves quite often... Great control but not much warmth.
Anyway I will order some today ... Just trying to figure out if I should give their socks a go too :-) .

coyote

Postby coyote » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Our Touareg has a heated steering wheel you can try to fit to your bike. It's been done before!! or buy a di2 ready frame, fit a normal groupo, then use the battery mounts to attach something to run a small hand heater under your tape. I ain't good with tools but reckon I could make some money if there was a market for it :D

In relation to the car, I've never used that feature and don't even know where the button is...honest :oops:
Why would one need a heated steering wheel when one has a heater in the car it self? :? :roll:

Yeah, all the same rip it out and post it to me, I am good at making things fit things they are not suppose to, fitting to a bike will not be a problem. 8)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:03 pm

coyote wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Our Touareg has a heated steering wheel you can try to fit to your bike. It's been done before!! or buy a di2 ready frame, fit a normal groupo, then use the battery mounts to attach something to run a small hand heater under your tape. I ain't good with tools but reckon I could make some money if there was a market for it :D

Why would one need a heated steering wheel when one has a heater in the car it self? :? :roll:

Yeah, all the same rip it out and post it to me, I am good at making things fit things they are not suppose to, fitting to a bike will not be a problem. 8)
Yeah...na!! Probably matches the heated seats. After paddling in minus conditions, anything that spat out warmth in the car was turned on!! The only times I wish I paddled a kayak rather than a racing ski :(

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 am

toolonglegs wrote:I have looked on their site and can't find them... someone showed me some gloves the other day, definately sealskinz. They were winter full finger gloves... but a single layer quite thick with traction thingies on the palm. Anyone used them or know of them?.
Or any other recommendations?, for cold weather yes, hopefully no colder than -5c, the only thing I am specific on is single layer and not "too" thick. I only need to survive an hour with them and I will be liberal with the heat creme :D . But I find that anything with a lining or two layers just robs too much feel as the layers slide against each other... especially as they will always be wet / muddy and frozen!.
I have these gloves and I find them perfect in winter. They are like the Sealskinz socks in tht they have the waterproof barrier in the middle of them. The inner layer is Merino Wool, and they are a nice tight fit, so more like wearing a thick pair of regular gloves than wearing a bulky winter set of gloves. In heavy rain they tend to retain the water, as the actual glove itself is not waterproof, just the barrier sewn into the lining is waterproof. That means the gloves do get heavier in contstant rain, and you'll have to wring them out when you get home.
I do find that in the extreme cold, the tips of the fingers can still get a bit of a chill, but I also find this with most gloves I have worn. I guess they just can't stuff enough wool into the lining right at the finger tips.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Too slow on the PBS sale... I was going to order some from chain reaction but might wait till my lbs has them in stock again ( next 10 days ) so I can try them on.
Looking at the weather for Saturday and Sunday's race the temps will be up around 8 to 10 c so I won't be cold :-) ... Although Saturdays race is forecast to be in torrential rain :-) :-) :-) ... Can't wait!.