Do you stop at lights? Are there exceptions

human909

Re: Do you stop at lights? Are there exceptions

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:23 pm

I also mostly agree with greyhoundtom. But I do disagree with some of the things greyhoundtom think are stupidity. But I'm cool with that. 8)

Many Australians seem to think not wearing a helmet is stupid. Most dutch think it is normal. If we leave the lecturing and self righteousness out then we can all get along. :mrgreen:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Of course drivers always do stop !!!

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:35 pm

il padrone wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:So far I have avoided posting on this subject, but now that I have had a couple of beers.......... :wink:

Do I care that some cyclists go through red lights, don’t bother wearing helmets, don’t have suitable lights, or behave like complete dorks........not in least.......because sooner or later they will come a gutser and will have to pay the price for their own stupidity.

Do I think that this type of behaviour reflects badly on all cyclist.........not in the least.......an idiot is an idiot no matter what their mode of transport, and I believe the greater portion of road users recognise this.

As for those drivers that tar all cyclists with the same brush, they simply hate cyclists being on their road, and would still feel that way even if all cyclists behaved like angels.

For those who’s blood pressure goes through the roof when they see a cyclist behaving badly .......relax...... there are far worse actions happening in this world you should be getting upset about.........cyclist ignoring road rules is the least of your worry. :roll:
+1 to that.
And again...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:38 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:So far I have avoided posting on this subject, but now that I have had a couple of beers.......... :wink:

Do I care that some cyclists go through red lights, don’t bother wearing helmets, don’t have suitable lights, or behave like complete dorks........not in least.......because sooner or later they will come a gutser and will have to pay the price for their own stupidity.

Do I think that this type of behaviour reflects badly on all cyclist.........not in the least.......an idiot is an idiot no matter what their mode of transport, and I believe the greater portion of road users recognise this.

As for those drivers that tar all cyclists with the same brush, they simply hate cyclists being on their road, and would still feel that way even if all cyclists behaved like angels.

For those who’s blood pressure goes through the roof when they see a cyclist behaving badly .......relax...... there are far worse actions happening in this world you should be getting upset about.........cyclist ignoring road rules is the least of your worry. :roll:
+1.

you should drink beer more often.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

boss

Postby boss » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
il padrone wrote:

+1 to that.
And again...
Me too

LM324

Postby LM324 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Alright, I'll admit to jumping to conclusions. Sorry
Mulger bill wrote:
il padrone wrote:

+1 to that.
And again...
Well said

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Glad to see we are getting back to discussing the issue & not the person - been a bit too much of the latter of late.

Almost all of us ride a bike because its fun. With aggro on the roads & aggro on de interwebs it's easy to forget that.

But enough from me, I am off to volvodrivers.com to complain that those wearing bowls hats are giving the rest of us a bad name :D

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:But enough from me, I am off to volvodrivers.com to complain that those wearing bowls hats are giving the rest of us a bad name :D
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm two for two now! I drive a Volvo and I have two caps that I wear. (Not at the same time and they're not bowls hats!). One is an Irish Donegal hat, the other is a "Pub hat" from an outdoor sports company. :P

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:43 pm

COME AT ME BRO!

:P

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 pm

After reading this thread, on the way home, I stopped at every Red light in town! I didn't stop at the read light that was less than 400metres from home :( i just wanted to get home and i was on the hill in saying that, the no traffic my way at all, and i was on the main road, there's sort of a bike path lane and makes no sense to stop as the line is no where near traffic turning!

LM324

Postby LM324 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:COME AT ME BRO!

HAHA there is a policeman standing there :)
so its either a closed lane for an event or the lights are stuffed up

HelmutHerr

Postby HelmutHerr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Philipthelam wrote:HAHA there is a policeman standing there :)
Or they're all riding past throwing bribes into his pocket like it's an 80s toll road.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 am

Philipthelam wrote:HAHA there is a policeman standing there :)

The lights changed to red for no apparant reason and there wasn't a single car in sight that triggered it. There are no pedestrian crossings there so the lights must have been set up on a timer/expected traffic. The cop was nice enough to step out and wave us thru instead of a massive pack of a couple hundred cyclists coming to a stop.

flow.rider

Postby flow.rider » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Now don't be getting ideas and thinking for yourself. That only leads to trouble.
The authorities have it all figured out so just do what your told and nobody gets hurt.