Cycling Sydney City to Katoomba

pollardsam

Cycling Sydney City to Katoomba

Postby pollardsam » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm riding from Sydney City (probably Opera house) up to Katoomba on the first day of a cycling tour, and was wondering if any locals can advise me on the best route to get there? I'm on a road/race bike and looking for a route that is safe but also suitable for a road bike and not too much extra distance.

The easiest way looks like the M4 but I'm not sure how nice it is to ride down there (and I've heard about closed left lanes causing problems)?

Will be leaving on Saturday 10th November if anyone is interested in joining for the day, you might get on TV... :D

Sam.

----
http://www.wodaus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MREJ

Re: Cycling Sydney City to Katoomba

Postby MREJ » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:30 am

The M4 is ok. There are no ideal routes, unfortunately. The best way is the train ;-)
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Done it a few times, M4, be wary of the roadwork sections near Lawson etc, think you can go opposite side of the train lines there is a parallel road from memory. Came home via Bells Line once, that was dumb!

pollardsam

Postby pollardsam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:01 am

thanks guys, M4 it is then I guess!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:36 pm

M4 is great from Parramatta (Church St) West, but east of that there is no shoulder and no bicycles allowed.

There's a fine off-road cycleway below and beside the M4 from about 1 km east of Silverwater Rd to Church St.

See rwww.ridethecity/sydney for a possible route (there are shorter ways thru Sydney Olympic Park).

If you are leaving early enough (e.g. before 8 am), you could ride George St/Parramatta Rd from city to
Silverwater. But after that, Saturdays would be worse than peak hour traffic - so best avoided.

Good luck.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia